• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

2nd law of thermodynamics

Well ------ we're finally seeing some cold weather here in Durango - and that means that it's time for the 2nd law of thermodynamics to prove itself.

The second law states that entropy increases over time.

Here's what happened to me ---

a) My 4Runner's thermostat decided it was done
    b) My garage door decided it's had enough when some ice formed around the base ---- the garage door spring system broke --- and the opener bent the door up while trying to lift it.

My problem - which do I fix first?

I can't get into the garage to fix my thermostat ---- but the repair man (the door is seriously messed up) can't get into the garage to fix it until I move my car - which requires fixing the car......

Well - I opted to fix the thermostat first ----- what a nasty outside job!

There's a lot of stuff I don't mind fixing on my car ---- but coolant is just nasty stuff.......

On the bright side, though ----- gives occasion to buying tools.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
    I can't get into the garage to fix my thermostat ---- but the repair man (the door is seriously messed up) can't get into the garage to fix it until I move my car - which requires fixing the car......
    Guess it's too late to help now, but you probably could have safely moved the car with a non-functioning thermostat.

What happened with the thermostat? I don't think I have ever had one actually fail in the vehicle, but I normally replace them when I replace the water pump.

At least the garage door didn't injure anyone :-)

I had hoped to work on the Van during the couple of 50F days we have had this week, but RA delivered the package to the wrong address - so I don't have the parts. Guess I will be joining you in working in the bitter could in a week or two :-(
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

My guess is that the thermostat won't open thus causing the engine to overheat. You should be ok to move the vehicle as it would take a few minuets/mile to cause it to overheat in the cold temps. Fix the door then the vehicle.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i haven't had to work on cars much lately but here's a couple of thermostat observations:

if its stuck open you can drive with it that way. the motor won't reach desired operating temperature but that is mostly a pollution problem. The other problem is that it will take much longer to get the cabin heater warmed up!

If the thermostat is stuck closed and you are somewhere remote without replacement parts, take it out and reseal the thermostat housing with form-a-gasket and it will be operable just like one stuck open described above.

The thermostat is usually high up on the engine and you won't lose too much coolant by opening the thermostat housing.

even if the thermostat is stuck closed you can drive it for a few minutes after starting cold. Normally the thermostat is closed at cold engine start and stays that way until it gets hot - speeds up getting the car engine to operating temperature.

Above all, Be safe, don't open the cooling system until the engine is cool. You can be very severely burned by coolant which is under pressure and at or above boiling temperatures.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Holy cow, when it rains it pours! We're up here in the great white north of Minnesota, and have never had a garage door freeze down before (knock on wood).

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - it heated up to 30 degs, so I fixed the thermostat, first.

The garage door technician asked, "Is the car stuck in or out?"
            "Out."
            "Okay I'll be there Monday....."

Things could be worse -

Comment

Working...