BBQ Ribs....Not all cuts are created equally..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
    I then tried smoking the the meat (I like apple wood) for 5 hours at about 220 degrees and then into the oven in a bag for another 4 to 5 hours or until internal temp is 170 degrees.

Perfection!
    I think there is a problem with your link. Is this it?

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipe...ed-savory.html

Comment

• Neal
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
      I've been a fan of smoking meat for about 20 years. I always got OK results, but never achieved perfection.

I then tried smoking the the meat (I like apple wood) for 5 hours at about 220 degrees and then into the oven in a bag for another 4 to 5 hours or until internal temp is 170 degrees.

Perfection!
      Same theory as I use. Should be plenty of juice in the oven bag if you get a good tight seal around it too. As I said before...after a point, the smoke penetration is limited.

The way I do it is the way the restaraunt chain I owned did it. Wrapping twenty or thirty (a few occaisions--more, MUCH MORE) at a time will get the sweat going! The biggest difference is that chain didn't believe in using a rub on their butts. I thought this was a detriment. The RUB is what holds a lot of that smokey flavor and creates BARK!

I always have preferred Hickory for butts, simply because they are so big. I like milder woods (apple, Pecan) for ribs typically becuase there isn't as much there.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I think there is a problem with your link. Is this it?

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipe...ed-savory.html
        That's it! Thanks.
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by Neal
          Same theory as I use. Should be plenty of juice in the oven bag if you get a good tight seal around it too. As I said before...after a point, the smoke penetration is limited.

The way I do it is the way the restaraunt chain I owned did it. Wrapping twenty or thirty (a few occaisions--more, MUCH MORE) at a time will get the sweat going! The biggest difference is that chain didn't believe in using a rub on their butts. I thought this was a detriment. The RUB is what holds a lot of that smokey flavor and creates BARK!

I always have preferred Hickory for butts, simply because they are so big. I like milder woods (apple, Pecan) for ribs typically becuase there isn't as much there.
          I hadn't thought of that. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks again. BTW, the oven bag makes for really easy clean up and holds all the juices. Also, I used the brining liquid in the smoker water pan. I don't know if it made a great difference, but's cheaper than apple juice.
          Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

This thread should be closed it is affecting my diet or the ability to stay on it

Tom
            Last edited by TB Roye; 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Heck, if I am going to use an oven bag I might as well turn the grill off and carry the meat in the house and use the oven! It's all about cooking in the yard, the equipment, getting smoke in your eyes, burning holes in the deck and the wife fussing about all the mess I make and they good times standing around the grill telling stories.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
                This thread should be closed it is affecting my diet or the ability to stay on it

Tom
                What good is virtue without temptation?

My wife HATES it when I quote that to her!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Hank

Now that's two of us. The nice thing I am 5 pounds away from my Goal weight and should be there before the 4th which means and can partake of the great food at my Brother in Laws although with great moderation.

Tom

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Lots of guys on the egg fourms are "turbo" cooking ribs and butts now, getting away from the low and slow. 350 for 7 hrs or when internal temp reaches 200 then foil wrap to rest, then pull. No injections, rubs, water pans or bags. This cuts the time by 12 hours for me. I always thought that if you ran the cooker higher than 225 for pork that lightning would strike you! Ill eat dinner sat with some of the eggers in Atl and get them to brief me on pork turbo cooking.

Bouillie says, If you pressure cook your ribs or bake them in the oven under barbecus sauce in under 2 hours I dont want to hear about it. Theyre not barbecued ribs if live fire isn't involved.

Comment

• Neal
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                      • Ryobi BT3000

BBQ <> Sauce. BBQ = Smoke from wood always and everywhere. I may cheat (finish things in the oven), but I never cut out the smoke from my process of making bbq.

I'll eat my pork without any type of sauce. The people in my neck of the woods who think BBQ pork is shreded meat swimming in sauce are everywhere. You add the sauce if you want to, not make it a primary component.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by capncarl
                        Heck, if I am going to use an oven bag I might as well turn the grill off and carry the meat in the house and use the oven! It's all about cooking in the yard, the equipment, getting smoke in your eyes, burning holes in the deck and the wife fussing about all the mess I make and they good times standing around the grill telling stories.
                        I use the oven bag for the second half of the cook time. If I leave the pork in the smoker for the whole 9 or 10 hours it tastes too smokey and doesn't stay as moist.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

If meat cooked on the grill tastes too smokey that means that you do not use your grill enough and your taste buds have not been burned off by the carcegens from the burning wood! Ive gotten so use to the smoke that I have to ask if anyone can taste any smoke, and in may be so smokey to them that they are developing a smokers hack. Ive found that by not adding any wood to the lump charcoal the smoke level is just right for most people. Their comments are "just right", I'm good with that. I do not buy any of the lump charcoal that is mfg in South America. I don't recall seing MADE FROM HARDWOOD on their pkg, that means that it could be anything they can shove in the kiln like pine, creosote fence poles etc.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

I haven't had any meat that is too smokey! Back in the early 70's, I started running hickory boards through a planner and using the shavings. Soak them in water and put them on the fire along with soaked chunks. Instant and continued SMOKE!

Somewhat like left over gumbo that tastes best the next day - the smoke seems to be more intense the next day on many foods - left over steak, hamburgers etc. Love it. So do my girls and their families.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

I like using Pecan for smoking, it is a good thing too, living amoungst 100's of square miles of pecan groves I have access to as much pecan wood as I can stand. It gives a good smoke taste like hickory but does not create the bitter that too much hickory or oak gives. I have never been able to tell a difference in soaking the wood in water vrs not soaking it, so I just throw in a double hand full of dry pecan hunks the size of tennis balls and let-er rip. I also use a fair amount of Peach wood. After it is dried out it imparts a pleasant sweet smell compared to hardwoods.

Comment

• leehljp
                                Just me
                                • Dec 2002
                                • Tunica, MS
                                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                                I like using Pecan for smoking, it is a good thing too, living amoungst 100's of square miles of pecan groves I have access to as much pecan wood as I can stand. It gives a good smoke taste like hickory but does not create the bitter that too much hickory or oak gives. I have never been able to tell a difference in soaking the wood in water vrs not soaking it, so I just throw in a double hand full of dry pecan hunks the size of tennis balls and let-er rip. I also use a fair amount of Peach wood. After it is dried out it imparts a pleasant sweet smell compared to hardwoods.
                                You bring up a point: "I have never been able to tell a difference in soaking the wood in water vrs not soaking it,"

To me, the difference is the outcome wanted. Wet blocks will smoke longer and steam keeps it a tad more moist. BUT this is more for smoking than grilling. It might be mostly psychological - in that wet wood will smoke for a longer period and it sure is nice seeing it smoke and smoke and smoke at a low temperature. But IMO, it helps even out the temp instead of spikes (when using chunks). When "grilling," I want more fire than smoke taste, so I use dry all the way. I vary from time to time but most friends and family around me prefer the smoke.
                                Last edited by leehljp; 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM.
                                Hank Lee

Comment

Working...