• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

June 6, 1944

"Day of Days". Remember the men and boys who bravely fought this day to free Europe and the World.
    #D-Day #Greatestgeneration
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Raffi
    "Day of Days". Remember the men and boys who bravely fought this day to free Europe and the World.
    #D-Day #Greatestgeneration
    70 years ago today.
    The 18-19-20 year olds who went to war then are all 88-90 years old now...
    A rapidly vanishing generation. God bless them all.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• russde
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2013

Well said Loring

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

I asked my wife at dinner, how many of todays generation know the significance of Sword, Utah, Juno, Gold, or Omaha beaches?
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I was looking at a landing craft at a museum a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't help but take pause and clear a lump in my throat as I tried to imagine what that day was like. Seasick, scared, packed like sardines... The opening scene of Saving Priviate Ryan playing through my head.

It reaffirms my hatred of war but thankful and proud of Veterans and those who never made it back.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

In 1994 while visiting my Son and his who we in the Air Force and Stationed at RAF Chicksands we attended the "D day" services at the American Cemetery at Cambridge. Presiden Clinton was there. I am a product of the ware being born in 1942 and named after my uncle who was radio man on a B-17 and survived the war. After the services we walked as a family and visited every grave there. I explained the both my son that men buried there we their age and are the reason we have what we have today. As we walked both boys drifted away and visited gave by them selves. My Daughter in Law also went of by herself also. All three of them we moved along with mom and dad. There is a Beautiful Chapel there with stained glass panels from each state and territory and a wall out side the is a wall with all the names of the missing in action engraved on it. Joe Kennedy and Glen Miller are two of the names on it. There is also a mass grave the holds the remains of an crew that we killed in the Iraqi Freedom action. Very moving. God bless the greatest generation.

Tom

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

My oldest brother and one of my customers were both on B-17 crews over Germany. Both are in their 90's and are as different and night and day. Doggie, my brother, is a retired preacher and as gentle as can be. Howard is..... Let's just say I wouldn't want to be on his bad side!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                I was looking at a landing craft at a museum a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't help but take pause and clear a lump in my throat as I tried to imagine what that day was like. Seasick, scared, packed like sardines... The opening scene of Saving Priviate Ryan playing through my head.
                Indeed. Besides the above, imagine knowing that if the water were too deep, your gear would take you straight to the bottom.

Truly the greatest generation.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I'll be 70 in another month and a half. Being born in 1944, I'm of an age in which I've had the honor to know a few of these men, all being of my father's generation.

I lost an Uncle at Pearl, he was a crew member of the Oklahoma; and all but one of my Uncles served, mostly in the Army and Navy, though one did serve in the Marines. Most saw action in the Pacific though.

In my teens and early twenties I did have the great honor to have two good friends who served in Europe... one of which was in the third landing wave at Normandy; and the other, was inland, serving as a tank commander with the Werhmacht (sp).

Funny how both these gentlemen, became good friends in the 60's. "The Colonel" as we lovingly called him, was a career officer in the U.S. Army, and in the 60's was the ranking military officer in our area. His name is listed in the back of the "Longest Day".

"Herb" was Austrian, and had joined the German army in his late teens, serving in North Africa, Russia, and inland from Normandy (those Panzer reserves that never did get ordered into Normandy) and near the end, at "The Buldge".

At many times during WWII, Herb and the Colonel had unknowingly faced each other in the same conflicts, and I remember well a few Sunday afternoons when the Colonel and Herb and an occasional friend of the Colornel's would discuss the various conflicts over a few drinks.

Vietnam was raging at the time, and it left me wondering if there would be some time well into the future that we might sit down with old enemies in such a friendly and jovial manner.

Both of these great guys are gone now, but it is a great honor to have known them.

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM. Reason: Typos
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/us/nav...e-talker-obit/

Last of the original Navajo code talkers passed this week.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • On the TARDIS
                      • BT 3100

And how about this old soldier? Hitler couldn't stop him coming up the beach 70 years ago, certainly no one else was going to now!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086
                      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jdon
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                        • BT3100

Or this guy... http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/world/...r-jumps-again/

Comment

Working...