• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

SI Article

This week's (May 19th) Sports Illustrated has an article titled "The Comeback Kids" on a single A game comeback win. The Clinton (Iowa) LumberKings found themselves down 17-1 at the end of 5 innings to the Burlington Bees. At the end of 12 it was lumberKings 20, Bees 17. LumberKings manager, Scott Steinmann, is my nephew.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...toric/9134777/

This is a video, taken by the catcher's wife, that aired on ESPN of his ninth inning grand slam to tie the game.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Scott had exhausted his bullpen and, not wanting his closer to pitch a 4th inning, moved Lonnie Kauppila, his second baseman, to the mound in the 12th. Except for one inning in high school, he had not pitched a game since the 8th grade. From the SI article, throwing changeups mixed with an 86 mph fast ball Kauppila was able to retire the side and get the save.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Cool story. It's interesting how he didn't realize how this unique game would gain so much attention.

Comment

• DLyon
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006

I grew up near Burlington and attended several Bees games during the summer. Mostly on mug night.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Great story, and you gotta love the team name of LumberKings... Awesome stuff!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...