• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

A wasted day?

Today was a great day - good weather, no rain, fairly warm, not windy, and it was Saturday! And the wife wasn't expecting me to go with her anywhere! Great day for working in the shop or outside!

So what did I do? I did a little cooking, reading and sleeping. Exhausted! I felt like Japanese men do on their day off - Catching up on sleep! Bones aching. OH, I haven't taken any Condroitan and another joint pain relief pills for a few days. My joints just hurt. I went out early tonight to the drug store and bought some more joint lube pills! I take these daily but ran out on Tuesday and was too busy to get more, until tonight. And I could tell it in my bones!

All day long (when awake) I wanted to go outside and do some wood work! I took a caffeine loaded BC at lunch but was still so tired I took a 3 hour nap instead! I just couldn't get the gumption up to do anything on a perfectly good day!

Anyone else experience this?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
    Anyone else experience this?
    I'm guessing I'm several years your junior but I relish the three hour naps on the weekends. Two young kids--who aren't always the best sleepers--and a busy work schedule take it out of me during the week. We all need to recharge any way we can.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Lee

I am 71 and I have those days and I take advantage of them, 2-3 hour naps in the afternoon are good also. I usually get up about 5:30 as my back doesn't like sleeping after that so by noon depending on that I am doing, my "work day" is pretty much done. I will on occasion get back at it in the evening for a few hours depending on what is on TV or on the Computer. I don't worry about it any more, it will get done, but when? when I get it done. There are no wasted days, no time limit, no stress, that was for when i was working. I find at the speed I get things done I enjoy it more and do a better job. Always have a moment to have a cup of coffee with wife, play with the dogs or take them to dog park, have time for the grandkids and their projects, all my grandkids except the 3 year old can turn a pen from start to finish or make a bird house or some other kid project, I think that is what I am the proudest of is teach them some craftsmanship Don't beat your self up if you have an off day, that's what you earned during your working years

Tom

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

My Saturday was not terribly "productive" but wasn't wasted either. I did a load of laundry and picked up ~7 bags of leaves. But the main thing I did was to go watch my step daughter do her winter guard number in competition. They got 4th. She was doing it for the first year as a senior in high school. Her father was not there.

I still need to get the house we need to sell empty so it can go on the market and there are lots of things that need done at the new-to-us house. But Saturday it was important to do something with Kate.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

That describes my first six months after coming home from a 4 year stint in Arabia. Of course, I was living in a little loft, away from my wife and kids, waiting for something to happen with our home 300 miles away, and dealing with a nasty case of reverse culture-shock. (everyone expects culture-shock ---- most people don't expect reverse culture-shock).

My landlord noticed I was depressed ---- walked me to his shop - opened the door and said "you can use anything here - just ask for instruction, first." He handed me photos of basic projects, and Ergo, I started into woodworking.

Getting back to your OP - it's not wasted if it's just a day of rest. If it feels like this every day for a few weeks - then yeah - time to do something.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by JimD
            Her father was not there.

Yeah he was!

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hank, being older and retired I hope means you don't have to go 100 miles an hour 24/7 anymore... you can take the slow road, stop by the park and view the daisies. Don't worry about it.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-04-2014, 09:33 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

The whole thing at our age some days just aren't as productive as others. Today was one of them, kinda scattered. Got more done between 7 and 10 am than the rest of the day. Oh well tomorrow is just around the corner.

Tom

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Sunday was kind of a wasted day for my wife and I.

We had been talking about dumping Netflix, and then Friday we get an email saying they just released the 2nd half of Breaking Bad Season 5. We watched the ENTIRE 5th season on Sunday! That was 16 episodes, probably around 12 hours since the episodes are commercial-free. The only pauses were to microwave something to eat, get a drink, and take periodic bio-breaks.

I thought I'd wake up exhausted, but felt great this morning.

We did a marathon Breaking Bad viewing in October, and watched the first 4 seasons in less than a week. That was 46 episodes, as I recall. Dishes piled up, we didn't do laundry, I am not sure how many days went by before I realized I'd not bathed or changed clothes. We were as disgusting as some of the characters on the show. We yelled at the phone if it rang, and we refused to answer the door. We would just peer out the blinds if the doorbell rang, decide it was nobody worth talking to, and then get back to viewing.

That is the most intense, addicting show I've ever watched!
                  Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Lee, being older and retired I hope means you don't have to go 100 miles an hour 24/7 anymore... you can take the slow road, stop by the park and view the daisies. Don't worry about it.
                    Thanks Loring. It has been so cold here for so long that I was looking forward to a warm day in the shop. Then Sunday was all rain, Monday was COLD again with a high of 23°. (North Mississippi)
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...