• Show
Clear All
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Sell it all?

A couple of years ago I began to lose interest in woodworking. The projects I've done in the last maybe 2-3 years have been because I had to, not because I've wanted to.

I'd love to say something replaced woodworking in my life, but I find myself just reading a lot, and spending time with family. I still enjoy keeping up the house, but you don't need Festool and Minimax/Laguna gear to keep the gutters clean, or hang a door.

I told myself a couple of years ago that I'd just sit on the shop in the event that I interests came around again. I fully expected to get the knack again, and I simply haven't.

Now my wife and I are considering a move a few hundred miles away (to be close to wife's kids), to a condo, and that has forced the decision on whether to sell or keep the shop. It is going to cost some serious $$$ to keep a larger shop, as I'd have to purchase a larger condo, and transport all the gear.

I'm thinking of just selling everything. It isn't that I need the money, it is that there is no sense in keeping it if I'm not going to use it. I'd almost rather GIVE the stuff to someone that will put it to use.

I'm in a burb of Pittsburgh, so it shouldn't be too difficult to unload stuff. I was thinking of setting a price of 25% of the original price on everything, just to move it out faster.

I don't know what to do. Is 2-3 years long enough to know if the desire is ever going to return? Anyone in Pittsburgh want to buy high-end tools on the cheap (my BT3K saws are about the least pricey thing I ever bought), LOL?
    Last edited by All Thumbs; 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by All Thumbs
    I'd love to say something replaced woodworking in my life, but I find myself just reading a lot, and spending time with family. I still enjoy keeping up the house, but you don't need Festool and Minimax/Laguna gear to keep the gutters clean, or hang a door.
    I've found as I get older I have less energy and am not as motivated to work in the shop. I have a harder time "getting going" but enjoy it once I get going. Are you really not interested, or just having trouble getting started? I do still enjoy the work, maybe you would, too if you got started.

One option might be to make a small project and see how it goes. Seems like by the time you were done, you might have a clear answer.

Anyway, if you do decided to sell, I'm interested - I PMed you and have some other ideas on how to sell it, should you decide on that option.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

I'm not in your position with woodworking but I do find myself not really interested in SCUBA diving any longer ... maybe when my grandson is 12 and can take it up ... that is what I am waiting to see.

In your case I'd consider selling the big stuff but maybe hanging onto enough to scale down the hobby to something like pen turning ... you never know taht might be enough of a difference to keep you involved (unless of course you already did that too) ...
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Boy, that's a tough call.

When I found my "niche" I had a much easier time getting into the shop to start something. Just wandering out there and trying to figure something out wasn't doing it. If you don't have a specific interest it may indeed be time to hand up your apron.

Moving to a condo does complicate things. A lot of loud tools could cause trouble with the neighbors. Turning is a good option in that environment. It's also the area that officionados say is the easiest to get something started when you're a little unfocused.

Good luck with navel gazing.
        JR

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Best of luck in your relo. Your idea of setting the price at 25% of original should yield lots of calls. You may want to move up on the price to get true woodworkers instead of resellers and deal trawlers. If the items are in good shape and not terribly old I would consider 50% and then negotiate when you meet with the person. You may want to consider carving, I am sure you could do that in a condo if the interest is there. If the interest is not, its ok. Our interests wax and wane over the course of our lives and as our situations change. Don't mourn it, if you are sure, let it go and pick up on your new endeavors. Cheers
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Tough decision. Maybe seeing the condo would help decide. If it's good as it is, fine. If you go in and think this'll need to change, some mods here, this wall needs a nice cabinet, the kitchen need redoing...

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I had the same thoughts when my interests in boating declined. When I sold the houseboat I cut all ties with the dock, and only kept a small fishing boat just to hang on to the spirit. I figured that if I later decided that I wanted to get back into boating I'd buy another one. You can do the same with woodworking tools.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I think it is different for each person. My hobbies are woodworking, pen making, RC planes & cars, most things mechanical, reading and for a while computer technology (different aspects of it).

Most of these interests/hobbies wane and come back from time to time. Woodworking has been the most consistent for me since I was a kid. In the evenings, I usually get restless and look for something to do with my hands. It is this restlessness that makes me go and work on one of the hobbies.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mineengineer
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                  • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

I live in the south hills

I live in the south hills of Pittsburgh...if you do decide to sell I might be interested in some stuff...
                  Link

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I am also moving and space for my shop is an issue. My current plan is to pull the wide table off the BT3100, sell the inca jointer, sell the Gilliam bandsaw, and get rid of wood scraps and redundant hand tools. I am hoping that will let me use a 12x12 shed as a shop. I like to woodwork but I am doing less and the expense of a large shop is significant.

Comment

• wardprobst
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22811

When the time comes, I'll sell the power tools *maybe not the B3*
                      I'll keep the hand tools and just do it that way, it's quieter, less dusty and takes less space. I mostly have the power tools for the business.
                      So, I'd keep the hand tools you like, sell the rest.
                      DP
                      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...