Costa Concordia pulled completely upright off Italy

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...ght-off-italy/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Can't imagine the value of that ship scrapped...
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Can't imagine the value of that ship scrapped...
      I can.

The original cost of the vessel was 450 million euros ($570 M USD).
      The news reports have said the salvage operation is expected to cost 600 million Euros ($780M USD). This is so high partly because they wanted to take it away from Giglio in one piece and avoid leaving a environmental mess on the coastline and beach.
      Scrap steel goes for $.05 to $.1 per pound. The gross tonnage of the ship is 114,000 tons or approx 228 Million pounds. The value will be reduced by the effort to disassemble it. So we're talking in the range of $5-20 million for the scrap steel which is most of the weight, There will also be scrap brass, copper and aluminum to a probably much lesser degree that will be worth something but not add a large percentage to the total.

The math therefore says that the ships value plus the cost of salvage is $1.35 Billion and they stand to recover $10-20 million is scrap material value. That does not cover the cost of lost business - direct and indirect - and compensation costs paid out.

Many of the staterooms and public rooms were not submerged - the ones on the top of the port side. Maybe (my idea) salvaged artwork, furniture and fixtures will be auctioned off on eBay as souvenirs.

They are already committed to scouring the rooms and safes to recover personal items for the passengers and return them to the owners. I have also read that they are going to strip as much furniture and fixings out as possible before floating and towing the ship hulk away to the scrapyard.

Just for the record:
      At the vessel's launch at Sestri Ponente on 2 September 2005,[12] the champagne bottle, released by model Eva Herzigová, failed to break, an inauspicious omen in maritime superstition.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Turns out insurance is covering it...
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...