• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Cabinetman

I have been in contact with Mike. He is upset at what happened and doesn't understand what he did. Because of health issues he no longer works in the shop and the computer and this site was one of his contacts with world. While I have my opinion on the GZ case and Mikes being banned that is not the purpose of this post.

Mike asked to do him a favor by asking those of you who would like to contact him to PM or to Email me and I will give you his Email address.

Tom
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, Tom. Being in a similar situation myself, I think I can understand what he is going through. Personally I did not see the posts that the mods referred to as being the reason for his ban (although the GZ thread had the potential for an explosion) but I don't read all posts every day. PM to be sent.

I was going to ask a couple questions on the Cabinetman Ban thread but it had been closed about 10 minutes before I got to ask the questions. Here they are:

1. How do you ban someone? If you ban the screen name, does that not mean that the person could just log in under a different name?

2. The mods referred to many complaints about C'man - how does a user know if someone is complaining about him/her? Do the mods notify the person that he is receiving complaints and the nature of the complaint?

I don't think I'm doing anything that someone would find abusive, etc. but I would like to know if I did.
    Last edited by phrog; 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM.
    Richard

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Cabinetman also spends time at Woodworkingtalk.com for those wish the contact him.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
        Thanks, Tom. Being in a similar situation myself, I think I can understand what he is going through. Personally I did not see the posts that the mods referred to as being the reason for his ban (although the GZ thread had the potential for an explosion) but I don't read all posts every day. PM to be sent.

I was going to ask a couple questions on the Cabinetman Ban thread but it had been closed about 10 minutes before I got to ask the questions. Here they are:

1. How do you ban someone? If you ban the screen name, does that not mean that the person could just log in under a different name?

2. The mods referred to many complaints about C'man - how does a user know if someone is complaining about him/her? Do the mods notify the person that he is receiving complaints and the nature of the complaint?

I don't think I'm doing anything that someone would find abusive, etc. but I would like to know if I did.
        they can log in again under a different name... will start over and have to be approved by the moderators. The identity of the new poster won't be known immediately and might not ever be if their personalities are not really so well known that they can be identified. I suppose a search of the IP addresses or e-mail addresses can be done but its not likely that would ever be done. Unless the FBI got involved for a murder, or homeland security case... haha.

The mods notify the person about the complaints via PM (private mail) - its not on the public forums.

If you're worried about being suddenly and unfairly banned with no notice I wouldn't worry. I 'm not sure of the numbers but for long-standing members (of which you are) it's very, very, very rare.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-28-2013, 12:09 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          they can log in again under a different name... will start over and have to be approved by the moderators. The identity of the new poster won't be known immediately and might not ever be if their personalities are not really so well known that they can be identified. I suppose a search of the IP addresses or e-mail addresses can be done but its not likely that would ever be done. Unless the FBI got involved for a murder, or homeland security case... haha.

The mods notify the person about the complaints via PM (private mail) - its not on the public forums.

If you're worried about being suddenly and unfairly banned with no notice I wouldn't worry. I 'm not sure of the numbers but for long-standing members (of which you are) it's very, very, very rare.
          Thanks, Loring. You confirmed what I thought.
          Richard

Comment

Working...