• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I echo the thoughts of others. I will miss the knowledge he offered but will not miss him antagonizing members or dismissing others' input. I also agree that I think he chased people off, it almost seemed as though he needed to be the "top dog" woodworker here.

He certainly contributed a lot more content than I ever have. It's unfortunate to see him go. I wish he could have "played well" with all members.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Denco
      • Mar 2003
      • Coming soon: California
      • BT3100

Maybe this would be a good time for ALL OF US to take a step back and think about how we present ourselves on the site.

I don't post as much as many of us due to the fact I'm a novice and don't always have much to add.

It's important to keep in mind that when posting on the forum, it's not like being face to face. Others can't see facial expressions, hear voice inflections, see body language, etc. It's really easy to misinterpret what others are trying to communicate. So, that said, it's important that we don't get so comfortable that we don't think about what we're typing. It's good to stop for a minute before hitting the ENTER key. Would also really like to see more woodworking posts (personally speaking).....but I still think the monkey needed a permit (referencing the other thread).
      *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

While we are discussing ways to improve, I'd like to see a wood chat thread. Many times I would like to share or vent a little something but it's never enough to warrant a whole thread on it. Something that happened in the shop, an idea or a theory. Many times a little thread like that would be ignored in favor of the off topic posts in the past.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I'm a bit surprised and have been surprised to be warned before, although not recently. This website is more polite than any other I visit. I wouldn't draw the line at exactly the same places but I appreciate the fact that the moderators spend their time watching over the site. And I obviously enjoy coming here. I don't remember ever being offended by C'man but I cannot dispute he often posted on non-woodworking topics.

I will just say that I think the moderators have every right to call them as the see them. If they warned C'man and he wouldn't adjust then they did the right thing.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

One of Cabinetman's habits waws just coming out and responding to some advice someone else had offered and saying that's wrong blah blah blah instead of being more tactful and saying another opinion (or another approach) is blah blah blah. Some people take it personally and get into a p*ssing contest with him that took on an ugly tone.
            He wanted the last word and would tell you he is the one with thousands of jobs experience and for the other guy to show what he's done.

Well there's just other ways of presenting your ideas. I post advice and realize sometimes there's other ways of doing it. I contradict other peoples advice only if there's some danger involved... I try and couch it in words like If you do it that way you need to watch out for such and such... rather than just out and out say that's bad advice. Sometimes you need to let people try for themselves and mistakes are good teachers. I just try to watch out for dangers they might truly regret. Hopefully people will look at the other posts you've made and determine who's advice to follow. Still when you post you should have a thick skin regarding negative comments, but I do think his comments made it less likely for new posters to post.

CMan's other annoying habit was posting short, inane messages that point out the obvious or some other cloy comments. He couldn't take kidding himself. Not that these were capital offenses.

He started the zimmerman thread which I thought was purposefully testing the limits. THe discussion bordered on the verge of questionable taste as it was very polarizing with its political parallels. I would have preferred it not started and was very uncomfortable with it.

In the end the number of reported messages (complaints by other members) are seen by the moderators. He had more than anyone else. He just had the habit of rubbing some poeple the wrong way. He did have good advice to offer and that will surely be missed for that.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-27-2013, 05:45 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thestinker
              • Oct 2005
              • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

It's a bummer to see him go, however, I'll support the moderators. This is a wonderful place to come in the middle of the " retched hive of scum and villainy" that is most of the Internet. Sam started this site and had just a few rules, the biggest was just don't be a dick. When someone consistently violates that rule they will poison the group. We let someone go on Friday at work for this very reason. Hated to see her go, but her attitude was becoming contagious to the group. She had to go. I think that applies here as we'll. it's terrible, but when warned, it's only 1 persons fault at that point.
              Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Some member made a request that this thread be closed. Three off the staff agreed that it would be a good idea. I wish to thank each and every one of you for your opinions and feedback. I did not want to ban him but believed that doing so was in the best interest of the forum. I knew there would be fallout as there always is. I think we will be better off going forward. The fact that many of you were completely blindsided by this is a testament to our moderating so as to diffuse disturbances before they blow up. There are still plenty of seasoned woodworkers that post here that I doubt questions will go unanswered.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...