WASHINGTON MONUMENT: A time lapse of the renovation

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2280666...#axzz2YrdQarqA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

That was very cool indeed. Too bad it wasn't real time.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was downtown for a wedding a couple of weeks ago and drove past it. I didn't realize they had scaffolding that could reach those heights. It's really impressive.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

wow, how long is it going to take to rennovate? Its been so long I forgot there was damage from the earthquake, what, 2 years ago?

OK, Wikipedia says 2014 reopening.

The following was the stated goal in 1835 of the Washington National Momument Society whcih raised the inital funds and commissioned a contest for a design. I think they met their goals.

It is proposed that the contemplated monument shall be like him in whose honor it is to be constructed, unparalleled in the world, and commensurate with the gratitude, liberality, and patriotism of the people by whom it is to be erected ... [It] should blend stupendousness with elegance, and be of such magnitude and beauty as to be an object of pride to the American people, and of admiration to all who see it. Its material is intended to be wholly American, and to be of marble and granite brought from each state, that each state may participate in the glory of contributing material as well as in funds to its construction.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          wow, how long is it going totake to rennovate? Its been so long I forgot there was damage from the earthquake, what, 2 years ago?

OK, Wikipedia says 2014 reopening.
          I'm familiar with government purchasing and bidding regulations so the fact that this will be completed by next year is actually pretty good.

You've also got to keep in mind that having an earthquake of this magnitude over here is unheard of. I've experienced earthquakes now on both coasts. This one wasn't as bad but scarier.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I'm pleased that the renovation did not create any changes to the shape.

Comment

Working...