• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Update of sorts.

Folks I have been away from my keyboard way too much lately. Back in January I shared news of a change in employment in this thread.
    After searching for a job for aver a month I took a job driving truck. My hours became long. Up at or before 4am every day and after work I usually had time to eat dinner and check email before rushing off to bed. Gladly that is now over. I received a call from a former employer offering me a dispatch job which I took. I start on Monday. Hopefully this will leave me more time for keeping up here and in my shop. I have some plant stand tables that I really need to finish and deliver to a friend.

In other news three weeks ago tomorrow I was involved in a car vs bike accident; I was the cyclist. Luckily no broken bones just a totaled road bike, ruined cycling clothing and bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, etc. Some of which was and still is rather painful. On to my soapbox..... if you ride a bike (peddle or motor) please wear a helmet! If you drive a motor vehicle please look and see bicycles that are near you. Often we (cyclists) are not seen until too late if at all. Motorists are looking for cars and trucks not cyclists or motorcyclists. I'll withhold more details about my collision until after the matter is settled fully and honestly by then it will no longer be newsworthy.

One other item.... most of my woodworking lately has been in connection to my becoming a small chicken farmer. I turned one bay of my shed into a chicken coop now occupied with 37 assorted chickens, most of which will become food pretty soon. Most of this has been rough carpentry at best including the built-in feeders that I may at some point write a thread about along with pics.

I'll take this time to go out to the shop now and make a riser block for the daughter's pig feeder; oh yeah she is raising pigs for FFA. I'm calling the place our Ranchette now. Hobby farmers we are.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • Rand
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you didn't get seriously injured.

Hopefully things will keep getting better now that you used up your bad luck.
    Rand
    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Good to hear your job search for something more ideal is coming into play. Looking forward to seeing more posts here.

I am glad that you weren't hurt in the accident but I can tell that you are one who stays constantly aware of your surroundings! I remember reading a slogan long ago: Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness! Stay paranoid when riding in automotive traffic, and stay alive!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        becoming a small chicken farmer.
        How much smaller are they than normal size chickens?

Glad you are a more or less OK.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Originally posted by woodturner
          How much smaller are they than normal size chickens?
          I estimate about a henweigh.
          Brian

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
            becoming a small chicken farmer.
            How much smaller are you than a normal chicken farmer?

Glad you are a more or less OK, too.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

So glad for you (and your family) that you're at least able to write this update. When I'm riding now--especially in my area where there is maybe 5 miles of bike lanes at most--I always assume I'm invisible to cars and pedestrians, too. Gone are my days of riding through city streets like a bike messenger.

Hope everything works out for the best.

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Glad to have you back Mark!!
                earl

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Mark,

First of all I glad that you were not seriously hurt. Bike accidents could be nasty!

Also glad to hear about your new job. It is not fun to be away from home (and shop) for so long. Hopefully the new job will give you lots of time to enjoy with your family.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...