• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Our day

This is a screen shot from an ad of a knife company.
    It really sums up just what Memorial Day is all about. And no, it's not the sales at Sears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	798366

This is one for us and for Don Semper Fi.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't get the meaning of "Our Day". However one wants to think of Memorial Day is their right. They can have parties, BBQ"s, or whatever. Memorial Day is to remember those that died during military service.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I think it is a Marine thing. Once a Marine always a Marine. I don't think there was any disrespect meant. Marines just think a little different. Me I was a US Army ground pounder who was lucky enough not to see Combat, early 60's was safe to be in the Army. My High School class did not loose any one in Viet Nam as far as we know and we have looked. If you graduated in 60 you most likely were done with you military service by 65 or 66. I was in the National Guard after active duty and did have to go to Berkley and Watts that is a whole different story.

Tom

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        I don't get the meaning of "Our Day". However one wants to think of Memorial Day is their right. They can have parties, BBQ"s, or whatever. Memorial Day is to remember those that died during military service.

I think I liked it better when we weren't talking to each other.

BTW "Our Day" is for all of us who served. Now that's not too hard to figure out.
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Acting like kids!?!

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
          I think I liked it better when we weren't talking to each other.

BTW "Our Day" is for all of us who served. Now that's not too hard to figure out.
          You responded to him. If the two of you can't get along, and can't seem to avoid reading each others comments, try the ignore function, before a mod, makes it so you can't post at all (either one of you).

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            You responded to him. If the two of you can't get along, and can't seem to avoid reading each others comments, try the ignore function, before a mod, makes it so you can't post at all (either one of you).

I don't see anything improper with my response. No need to mediate.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              I don't see anything improper with my response. No need to mediate.

That goes for me too.
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

I'll be honoring those who served and especially those who sacrificed all. But a special thanks goes out to my son, Andrew, who is finishing his hitch in the USAF tomorrow and starting the drive home on Friday. He should be here by Sunday night. He did only one tour in Iraq and with where he was and his job--we weren't real concerned. About three months in we were on Skype one night, we heard the sound, everything shook, dust flew and they were all ducking. There is no safe harbor in a war zone, even for the techies!!

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Memorial Day is what you make of it.
                  There's enough people in the US that some of us can remember those in our armed forces who died in wars, others can remember the veterans who served in the armed forces, no matter what branch. The day is long enough we can remember both.
                  I for one am thankful to them all for the service provided to this country and the sacrifices they made to protect the life we have.

I am sure that some will not observe anything but a day off from work. To them I say the people the rest of us appreciate on Memorial Day made it possible for them to celebrate in whatever way they want.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Sweet Willy
                    Established Member
                    • May 2011
                    • Near Chattanooga, TN
                    • ridgid 3650

Memorial Day has taken on a new meaning for me. My son served in Bosnia and Afghanastan and is now home and no longer in the Army. But, that's not what makes Memorial Day different for me.
                    When I was of fighting age we had the draft. (I left my fate up to the military and they were smart enough to leave me out.) But todays heros have all volunteered. They made a choice to fight for our country. God bless them and the U.S.A.
                    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
                    Dennis

Sweet Willy
                    sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

This is one for us and for Don Semper Fi.

Bruce
                      I'm trying to understand your post, as you say "our day" and "this is one for us". What branch of the military were you? Was it the Marines?

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by TB Roye
                        Me I was a US Army ground pounder who was lucky enough not to see Combat, early 60's was safe to be in the Army.
                        It just turned out to be "safe". I doubt that recruiters tell it like it is. When entering the military, it is assuming whatever comes along during service. It may be in quiet times, or being deployed to an area of unrest. It's really admitting that you agree to serve, and that death could be a result. Interviews with recruits reveal about 10% have the stamina or state of mind to actually shoot, or kill in a state of combat.

Originally posted by TB Roye
                        My High School class did not loose any one in Viet Nam as far as we know and we have looked. If you graduated in 60 you most likely were done with you military service by 65 or 66. I was in the National Guard after active duty and did have to go to Berkley and Watts that is a whole different story.

Tom
                        So, what seemed as a "safe" tour, your service wasn't over. As a guardsman you can be exposed to "combat" situations, even though they might have taken place in your home town. Your military commitment requires of you to be prepared and act "at the moment", whatever that may be.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Memorial Day is to honor and remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. Veterans Day is set aside to honor all who served. Over the years, the 2 days seem to have become intertwined and I have no problem with that.

I don't think one can overdo the thanks to those who have served, and are now serving, in our military. Whether they have ever been in harms way or not, the possibility is always there as long as you wear the uniform. Especially in troubled times like we live in now, that causes stress to service members and their families not experience by most people.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

Working...