• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

True Story. Phone call a while back.

One reason to have email rather than phone conversations.
    I get this type conversation often enough, so I thought I would share how one such interaction went a while back.

Phone rings:

Me: Hello, Leeway Workshop.

Caller: Jet told me to call you.

Me: Umm, Jet machinery?

Caller: Jet saws. I have a Jet saw.

Me: Okay. This is Lee Styron, How can I help you?

Caller: I don't have a blade guard and need one.

Me: Okay. What model saw do you have?

Caller: I have model xxxxxxx.

Me: Okay, for that model I will need you to send me an email with a few pictures of the bracket. This model had a few different styles of bracket and I would have to see which one you have.

Caller: I have the bracket that came with the saw.

Me: Okay, send me an email and I can explain further what I can offer.

Caller: How much is it and how long will it take?

Me: The price varies from about $150 to a little over $200 depending on what model you have and what options you choose. We have a long lead time, so at least a few months.

Caller: Wow! That much! Really? Jet's blade guard for this is only $89.00.

Me: Plus shipping. Shipping is included in my prices.

Caller: Right, plus shipping.

Me: Well there you go. Sounds like if you need something fast, that will work. It will be just like what came with the saw originally.

Caller: I know. I threw that thing away as soon as I bought the saw.

Me: Well, sounds like you need something now, so you might just have to order another from them or send me an email and I can show you what I can offer.

Caller: Oh, Jet doesn't make them anymore. They are obsolete.

Me: Man, that is too bad. Have you tried looking on Ebay? They often have original guards for old saws.

Caller: You sell your guards on Ebay?

Me: No, I have my own website. I was talking about a guard like the one that came with your saw. They often come up on Ebay.

Caller: That was a piece of crap and I won't waste my money buying one of those again. I threw the original one away when i bought the saw. Do you offer any discounts?

Me: I might. What is your situation?

Caller: I need a blade guard.

Me: Send me an email and I can send you some links to what I make and what I can offer and quote a price for you.

Caller: Okay. I don't want to pay $200 for a guard that I will want to throw in the trash in a week.

Me: I am well aware of that and I agree. I make high quality guards and if you are not satisfied with it, you can return it for a refund. No problem with that.

Caller: Can you ship me one out next week?

Me: No, it would take me a few months to get to your spot on the waiting list. We build these to order and it is first come, first served.

Caller: I can't wait that long. I cut one of my fingers and my wife says I can't use the saw again until I have a guard.

Me: Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope you are going to be okay. How long have you owned this saw?

Caller: I've had it for about 15 years.

Me: Okay, send me an email and I have links to some other solutions that may work for you.

Caller: Okay. Hangs up, click.

I never gave him my email address. He never told me his name, but I haven't received an email concerning that particular saw since then. I certainly hope that he found a solution.
    Lee
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's called a waste of time. But a necessary waste of time. You find out after the fact. I get the calls about needing some kind of custom work. After a discussion about what the project entails, an in home estimate is planned. Stuff that gets carted out to their house might be veneer samples, plastic laminate samples, hardware catalogs, tape measure, pad and writing instrument.

Once at their home, measurements are taken, rough sketches drawn out, and then a rough price. Then, they might say "Can you beat Home Depot's price?"

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I think phone calls like that are a significant casual factor in all the automated phone systems we have to struggle through these days. While we all want to talk to somebody sometimes if we, in the end, only waste their time and ours, we don't really accomplish much. Might as well punch buttons on the phone. At least then it is only our time that is wasted.

My wife spent >40 minutes in two separate calls to a credit card provider. She went through the automated system to get a person, who then transferred her to somebody who hung up. Twice. She was returning a call about a possible fraudulant charge so she was helping them as much as herself. So the automated route doesn't work so well at times either.

Phone calls for relatively simple factual information are not close to my first choice. A well designed website is much preferable to me. But my mother-in-law will not use the internet and I know others the same way. Their lives will get more and more difficult - as will the people they want to interact with.

Jim

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yikes! My blood pressure was rising just reading that exchange. Can't imagine what yours was like when it was actually happening.

On the bright side, looks like Jet is giving you props (or making your life h*ll).

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

Caller: Wow! That much! Really? Jet's blade guard for this is only $89.00.

Then Jet might as well say they're a $1 a piece but obsolete!! DUH! Doesn't matter if you can't buy them anymore...

you are a better man than I...

B
          Last edited by bmyers; 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM.
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

What I like is the (lack of) logic of "Jet's is only $89", and "It's a piece of crap- I threw it away!"

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Sounds like some "live" conversations I had while I was working at Home Depot.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

We all Need something but don't want to Pay for it.
                For example I Need a Ferrari (OK, a Lambo will do nicely) but I don't want to Pay for it.
                I haven't tried to call a Ferrari dealer and bargain with them saying I threw my Chevy away because it was a piece of Crap.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Pretty rough dealing with the general public sometimes.... What is really great about email is the amount of time saved versus a phone call where you have the other party dickering around until they get to their point. With email, they have to express their thoughts and in general when one sits down to right something, it condenses somewhat. Plus we can scan an email alot faster than listening to someone trying to explain what they want or need.

Good for you Lee, nice to see Jet recognizes that your product is a cut above! By the way, I still have my Jet saw without a guard, maybe you can guess which bracket I need from the paint color :P
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

So, the question might be..."What should it cost to not be a piece of crap"?

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

I actually kinda felt sorry for him. I get a lot of communication from guys that get in contact with me after they have injured themselves. Way too often. Almost every week it seems.
                      He was likely very frustrated at the time and just simply lost his cool. A controlling Spouse and no Joy from Jet probably trapped him somewhat.
                      It was a bit humorous to me after the fact. I was kinda in awe while it was going on. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes a few times.

That would certainly have gone better in an email.

Chop, no, but I can guess what paint color it might be. Creamy white or wedgewood blue.
                      Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner

That would certainly have gone better in an email.

Chop, no, but I can guess what paint color it might be. Creamy white or wedgewood blue.
                        No doubt

Yes on blue! You are good at this :P One of these days I will patronize you I promise, but that saw is still not up to snuff yet. It has a little more vibration than I care for. I need to more carefully align the pulleys and perhaps consider a matched pulley set and a link belt.
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Woman to Farmer: "How much are your eggs?"
                          Farmer: "99 cents a dozen."
                          Woman: "The guy across the street only charges 79 cents a dozen."
                          Farmer: "Then why don't you buy them across the street?"
                          Woman: "Because he doesn't have any."
                          Farmer: "Well, if I didn't have any, they would only be 59 cents a dozen."
                          Richard

Comment

Working...