• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Rode a Harley yesterday

A bit of history. In my teans into early 20s, I rode bikes. I put over 50,000 miles on them including some 500 mile plus trips. I used one for commuting for awhile. But that was over 30 years ago. I've ridden occasionally since but only once every few years. And never a Harley. Biggest bike I'd ridden before yesterday was a buddy's 900 Kawasaki.

My new wife needed her 2008 Softtail Deluxe - the 105 anniversary edition - moved to our residence, a trip of about 30 miles. She wasn't comfortable doing it because of the weight of the Harley. So I volunteered. Both I and the bike survived but we had a few moments.

I do not mean to be disrespectful but are most Harley riders short with small hands? I had a heck of a time checking tire pressure and airing up the tires due to the clearance with the spokes. And the seating position was my first major challenge. I couldn't find the running boards at first and was more than a little wobbly while looking. Once I could find the position of everything things fell into place.

Lots of torque, very nice, and lots of speed quickly. No tach bothered me, however, as did the noise and vibration. It is a very nice bike and we agree we don't need a bike but I think I still like the "rice burners".

Jim
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Same here. Owned many bikes...all rice burners...all go fast bikes. Never had a Harley, and lately thought it would be interesting to finally get all the ker-plunkety out of my system. I've ridden a Sportster, but they don't have the flair that a dresser has. So, I've been looking, and the prices hold up pretty good for them. I haven't seen anything under $5K that was worth buying...even older ones.

I might just rent one for a weekend.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I should also add that I was impressed with the quality of the construction the little bit of work I did on it. It needed the license plate attached and the bracket and fasteners was higher grade than I have seen any manufacturer use - including BMW. It also needed the battery charged and removal of the seat involved fewer fasteners of higher quality that I expected. The startup sequence still seems overly involved to me but it involves high quality parts. There is a lock for the front wheel, and a lock for the ignition. But once the ignition lock is turned, you can put the key back in your pocket. Something like what BMW calls the convenience option - no key in the ignition required. You have to prime the motor prior to starting youever. Nothing difficult but several steps. I guess the quality of the pieces may help explain the pricing.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I think you're right. It's an image that Harley keeps up as an icon.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I can't say that I will ever ride another bike. Too many near misses and too many friends killed or maimed by thier stupid behavior and other careless drivers. Sports cars are on the way out of my life soon as well. I feel much safer flying, but health issues have put a stop to that. I want something with an air bag, and I am not talking lighter than air craft. A sturdy roof would be nice too.
          capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Why a Harley? As the saying goes, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand." I rode a number of different rice burners over the years ranging from 90 cc to 1400 cc before I bought my glide.

Is Harley the best bike on the market? For some, but not for everyone. There is a mystique attached to Harley Davidson. Even with the improvements over the years, they are still higher maintenance than some other bikes. It's a V Twin and it vibrates. Bolts work loose.

There are still Harley riders that look down on anyone that rides anything else. Personally, if you are on 2 wheels (or in my case, soon to be 3 wheels), ride responsibly, and don't step through the floorboards, you have my salute when we meet on the road.

Jim, not all Harleys are built for shorter people. A stock Electraglide is a problemn for shorter legs unless a lowering kit is installed.

A final comment. I ahve come out of malls and stores to find kids, with their parents nearby and often assisting them on previous bikes. Never had that problem with my 'Glide. Something about a Harley says look but don't touch....
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I couldn't afford a Harley back when I bought my bike - I ended up with a BMW Chrome Head (R1200CL), instead.

Next time around, I'll look at a Royal Star (or comparable descendant).

I think the V-Rod is a nice machine. Am a little more impressed these days by Victory.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I'd like to ride a beemer someday. If I was to buy a bike, I would be more interested in a beemer. I don't know if it translates but BMW puts a lot of engineering into Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) of their cars. I hope they do something similar in their bikes. I also also always wanted a bike that could go around curves. The weight of harleys is an issue and at least some of them ground pretty quickly if you try to lean them over. I watched a guy go off the road doing this on the tail of the dragon. He was not cornering hard at all. I am pretty confident a beemer wouldn't have a problem with the corner the Harley totally couldn't handle.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

A friend of mine once said:
                  "What you have between your legs will not get you far".
                  Alex V

Comment

• rlreed
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2012
                    • Tavares Fl
                    • Ryobi bt3100

Harley

Unless youre really into the Harley culture there are some interresting videos on Youtube. Go to Youtube and type in Victory vs Harley. Five interresting videos.....

Comment

Working...