Here's another one of the "I was on my way to work...and then..."
    http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...-higher-power/

• capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

That guy was lucky
    I see idiots every day with stupid things that could fall off, bounce out, defined as unsecured loads. Makes me sick. Occasionally there is the random stack of ladders, metal lawn furniture, recliner chair or 5 gallon bucket of grease scattered all over the highway. You always wonder who hit them? I hit an oily spot on a freeway approach several weeks in the Miata and did several 360's across the freeway and somehow missed everything and everybody. The next day on that same approach I saw the rendering tanker that hauls poultry waste just drooling crap out of his back pipe, I know it was his grease that caused my spin. Not much you can do about it even when you see it, cops are spread too thin. Best to keep your distance from suspect vehicles hauling anything. That told me that is was time to get rid of the little low cars and get something a little safer.
    capncarl

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The first year of our marriage (40yrs this year) we had visitors who came to our house to party. I was teaching school so I had refrained from imbibing so, when a country ride was called, I was the logical driver. We came across a railroad crossing as a train was passing. The next thing I knew, they were all out of the car and seeing what kind of rush they could get it they were closer. Being a railroad brat, I had heard my Dad's horror stories about people being badly cut by things sticking out from the cars, especially metal tie-down strapping. Nothing happened to my friends, fortunately, but I told them of my father's experiences. Years later, I saw and experienced for myself the cutting power of those straps. I can't tell you how many times I cut into work coats and shirts as I walked through the shop. Imagine that at 50 mph!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Yeah. He was very lucky.
        Strapping and 2x8's flying through the air during a hurricane would be considered light debris. Anything with speed and wind behind it can be deadly.
        I remember my biking days. Small bugs and rain could hurt. Bigger bugs and bees and dragonflies could be devastating. I was riding next to a guy once that got hit by a dragonfly. It was loud. It jerked his arm off the handlebars. Left a big welt like he had been beaned by a pitcher. I always kept my full face shield helmet on the bike for riding in the rain or at night. Oklahoma had no helmet laws, the laws of physics overrode Okie law at times.
        Lee

Comment

Working...