• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I asked my wife, she's the crossword fanatic (I have a very limited vocabulary apparently ), and she never heard of the term.

So she looked it up in the dictionary, where it said it was a depression in the ground, usually a marshy wet area. OK!.... a drainage ditch!!! (or maybe a big mudd puddle).

Maybe it's a regional thing

Neither here in the city or back in Painted Post, we're not allowed to park in that grassy strip between the sidewalk or property line and the curb.

Thanks, (That was mighty swale of you guys to let me know )

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Our drive way is 3 cars wide

LOML parks in the garage I park my Toyota over on side of driveway. Part of the 2 car garage has my BT3 and other things. I used to put both Vehicles in Garage but with a Ford Expedition and Toyota Prerunner crew cab got to be a little too tight. So truck went out side.

Tom

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith

Maybe it's a regional thing

Thanks, (That was mighty swale of you guys to let me know )

CWS
        Nah, I used google
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

You are correct to think I have a bunch of "stuff" including a heavily mortgaged lake house, and pickup. The Harley is paid for but not used. My wife bought it because a former husband liked to ride. She says she rode it to Daytona but hasn't ridden it in a couple years and is a little scared to. I rode bikes a lot a long time ago but not Harleys. They are too slow around corners to really interest me. She wants it at our main house and I've volunteered to move it. We both think we heal up too slowly for motorcycles - although they are fun. The plan for it and the pickup is to sell them. 3 vehicles for us plus two for my step daughters seems like enough for now. Boat is >20 years old but worked fine last weekend and is remaining in the stable. Lake house is too far away so it will get fixed up and sold (but probably eventually replaced). New bedroom set is now on the "to do" list along with fix up to the lake house (at least one major bathroom remodel, replacement of sliding glass doors and a bunch of flooring). In addition to "stuff" this marriage expanded my "to do" list extensively. Not a bad thing.

Two BMW convertibles is an admitted extravagance. We're discussing it. They are nearly identical, both 128is. That is by far the least expensive current bimmer convertible. Hers is newer with automatic (therefore slower) and more do-dads. Mine has sport suspension and a manual. Neither of us wants to get rid of their convertible so for now we will have both. She's started to indicate a nice enough SUV might allow her to change her mind. We have other things that are more pressing, however.

With respect to tools, my Ryobi credentials are pretty extensive. My only table saw is my BT3100. I think about other saws and could buy one if I wanted but the Ryobi does what I need it to so I haven't pulled the trigger. My planner is an old AP-10, my radial arm saw is a Ryobi, and the motor in my router table is off a R-500. My only servicable cordless tools are also Ryobi. I have a nice Ryobi belt sander but rarely use it because orbitals are nearly as fast and their discs last longer than the glue in old belt sander belts. I have other things, of course, including a DeWalt track saw which I really like, but no Festools (at least yet, the Domino looks interesting). I could have bought a Festool track saw and considered it but extra money without extra functionality and metric markings turned me off. The DeWalt is a better fit for me - and my Ryobi stuff is in no danger of being replaced by Festools.

Lots of people seem to think Ryobis are only for people who can't afford "better" tools. I mentioned the above to try and dispute that. Many (but admittedly not all) Ryobi tools are very servicable options regardless of what you can spend. The BT3100 is in that group, at least to me.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by JimD
            Two BMW convertibles is an admitted extravagance. We're discussing it. They are nearly identical, both 128is. That is by far the least expensive current bimmer convertible. Hers is newer with automatic (therefore slower) and more do-dads. Mine has sport suspension and a manual.
            Does your local BMW club allow convertibles for Driver's Schools and track days?

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Loring

In my neighborhood all those are possible, and I am not kidding.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                I think he was getting at the curb, although this looks more like a drainage ditch.

from www.lakesuperiorstreams.org
                Not sure about you northern folks, but here in Texas we call that a ditch.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Not sure about you northern folks, but here in Texas we call that a ditch.
                  Now, I finally understand. Thanks, dbhost. (We speak the same language here in Tennessee.)
                  Last edited by phrog; 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM.
                  Richard

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

2007 Honda Odyssey - carport behind house. SWMBO drives this one, and she has to be dry when it's raining.
                    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - driveway in front of workshop. My daily driver. Unless it's a monsoon, wife doesn't care if I get wet.
                    1986 Pontiac Trans AM - carport next to the Honda. Currently on jackstands. Have to finish welding the floorpans before I can put the car on the ground to pull the motor/trans. This is the one we're rebuilding for my son.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

'07 Sequoia - parked in driveway - but forced into the garage if there's hale in the forecast. That's the daily driver for SWMBO.

'03 4Runner - parked in the driveway - next to the overgrown spruce tree (wouldn't want the sequoia to get scratched (my daily driver).

'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee - parked in guest parking

What's in the garage - overpriced bicycles --- but hey - it's Durango.

JimD ---- check out Durango Demographics, some time --- pot meet kettle. Just giving you a hard time!

I used to have a BMW motorcycle (could not afford a Harley) - but sold it to pay the tuition bill, plus the insurance bill now that we have 3 vehicles and a teen driver (makes insurance companies really nervous).

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

C'man,

BMWNA instructors are still afraid of convertibles. We can do BMWNA sponsored autocrosses but not driving days. No instructor for an autocross plus speed is a lot lower. I may miss my second autocross in a row, however, because it is scheduled, again, on Sunday. I teach Sunday School and hate to miss again. I was out two weeks for wedding/honeymoon. My wife wants to tell me she is a faster driver than me but hasn't wanted to sign up for the autorcross where she could prove it. She got a little nasious during a fun ride with an instructor so I don't think she would do so well driving - but she might. It would be better for nausea to drive (as opposed to ride) but there is a difference between weaving in and out of traffic and actually going fast.

Jim

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by JimD

Many (but admittedly not all) Ryobi tools are very servicable options regardless of what you can spend. The BT3100 is in that group, at least to me.

Jim
                          True words!
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• tommyt654
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008

We usually pak the ka in the yad wit da dag

Comment

• 3thumbs
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Northern Colorado
                              • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

My car has a paint job worth more than all the junk in the shed. No motorized vehicles sit in my driveway unless they belong to a visitor!

Comment

• vaking
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2005
                                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a 2-car detached garage. My wife and I have 1 car. Inlaws live in the city. They have a "house by the lake" and a truck to get there. House by the lake is not used in the winter and parking in the City is a pain, so for the winter they bring their truck to me and leave it here. As a result my 2-car garage has 2 cars in it during winter, 1 car during summer. I prefer keeping cars in the garage. In the winter if you leave the car outside - you will have to clean snow or frost of the car. In the summer leaving it outside will make you go thru car wash more often because of the birds.
                                Alex V

Comment

Working...