Certain Knives Now Allowed On Planes?

Recent news...
    http://www.courant.com/news/breaking...tory?track=rss

• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I haven't measured yet but I think that means I can carry my Swiss army "Tinker" knife again. I feel lost without it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I haven't measured yet but I think that means I can carry my Swiss army "Tinker" knife again. I feel lost without it.
      Does yours have a compass too?

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Just checked. My small utliity type knife is a bit ove 2 3/4". I'm like Loring, I have carried a pocked knife since I was about 8 years old, and don't feel right if it isn't there.

Still, I would side with the opponents in this caseeven a smallknife in a basically otherwised disarmed crowd can becomea formidable weapon.
        Last edited by Pappy; 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy

Still, I would side with the opponents in this caseeven a smallknife in a basically otherwised disarmed crowd can becomea formidable weapon.
          Someone could do fairly well with setting up a table outside the terminal selling different designs of "legal" knives.

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

When I saw this topic, I was thinking there was a new hand plane design out there.....

elated - I can carry my knife, again.

Good news is - with the lift ---- it's not an otherwise unarmed crowd.

Besides - you don't need a knife to do harm ---- just look at the edge of a credit card.......

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

I was flying just a couple of weeks ago, had my water bottle in my carry on, they made me open it and then when they were satisfied it was empty, gave it back to me.
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I am also looking forward to carrying my leatherman micra. I use a small lock back as a money clip, however, and it looks like lock backs will still be prohibited.

The weapon arguments have always been silly IMHO, however. Weapons in hands of honest law abiding citizens only serves to restrain people with evil intent. The vast majority of people being disarmed by the current policy would never do anything wrong with them and they might be a little more effective dealing with an evilly intended individual. There is no real evidence a flight crew has stopped an evil person, during 9-11 the passengers stopped one of the flights.

In terms of a weapon, a small knife, particularly a folder would not be nearly as useful as a pen. A writing instrument could penetrate far more readily and reach further doing more damage than a small knife. A large man can do more damage with no weapon than can a flight attendant with a knife. Prohibiting little knives just doesn't do anything to improve safety.

Jim

Comment

• Woodshark
                  Established Member
                  • May 2006
                  • Atlanta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  That's the first thing I thought of too. I measured my "Tinker" is just slightly over if you are measuring the exposed edge. Since the Tinker was once only used as my travel knife, I will probably grind down the tip to under 2.3 inches.

Now if they will just allow me to take my !@#%% 4oz bottle of shampoo!
                  Last edited by Woodshark; 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Pappy
                    Just checked. My small utliity type knife is a bit ove 2 3/4". I'm like Loring, I have carried a pocked knife since I was about 8 years old, and don't feel right if it isn't there.

I disagree. A small knife can give an advantage in an otherwise equal confrontation. But try to imagine an attempt to hijack a plane by people armed with nothing but small knives. I am sure 3 people without knives will stop one with the knife, so hijackers will need to make up at least 25% of passengers on that plane. Not a real possibility.
                    Alex V

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I thought that 9/11 was perpetrated using box cutters. If so, this policy would allow the very instruments that were a part of the reason we have the increased security measures today... I've always thought that's the policy was kinda stupid, but my point is why bother then? Either allow knives or don't. So bigger mince is actually harder to maneuver in a confined space anyways.

I've accidentally brought on my keychain Leatherman once, and it wasn't caught. So from that experience I'd have to say the security in that regard wasn't the tightest anyway...

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Box cutters are still prohibited. Fixed blade knives are also prohibited. Only folders are OK. That makes some sense to me from a weapon standpoint. A folder is not a good weapon. I would have cut off the blade length at 2 inches but I think the new rule is a decent compromise.

I have also dropped my micra into my bag and hoped for the best before. The best happened. They haven't really been prohibiting small knives anyway. So only good people obeying the rules were impacted by the current rules. That seems like another reason to change the rules.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm on very shakey ground... the Victorinox Swiss Army "Tinker" blade is 5.9cm from the tip to the end of the sharpened length. From the tip to the body handle is 6.8cm.

Given that the requirement is less than 6 cm, mine's so close that it all depends on where they do the measurement and 1mm even on the best measurement its open to how carefully they measure.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

At least I can start carrying my Swiss Army Classic again! Last time I flew, I put it in my suitcase so that I wouldn't be without it at my destination!

I like the Yellow ones because they are easy to spot when I drop it, set it down or it falls out of my pocket in on a sofa or easy chair.

Loring, here is a link on CNN that appears to show your knife as "safe".
                            http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel...html?hpt=hp_t1

First one on the left looks like it may be your knife type.
                            Last edited by leehljp; 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...