• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

can anyone here explain women to me?

I try to explain to her that sawdust is protective in nature - that it's not going to ruin my tools (yeah - I sweep up often - and yes, I usually clean off my hand tools and put them away).

No - don't organize my drill bits by length ---- they're organized by thickness.
    (same thing with my chisels, thanks).

Yes - I do need two combination squares - don't put the smaller one in the yard sale bin because you see I have a bigger one. In fact, the smaller one is better than the bigger one!

Yes - there's sawdust on my scroll saw and jointer. --- I know about it. They do, too - and they don't really care.

My outfeed table is not a good place for tomato starters.......

Those little pieces of wood sitting in a pile are shims - they're not trash.

No, there's no such thing as junk wood.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

WARNING: The following is not likely to help your marriage stay healthy! Read the following tongue in cheek only, if you put this to use, and she either kicks your butt, or divorces you, you have only yourself to blame...

Mistake #1. Letting her into the shop without a thorough orientation.
    Mistake #2. Not returning the favor with her makeup, hair stuff, shoes, or blouses... I.E.

Why doesn't she organize her lipstick tubes by size and shape?
    Why not put her eyeliner in the yard sale and leave her with the biggest one?

The problem is one of perspective. Unless she too enjoys woodworking, the wood shop should be a "man cave", and allowed to be what is in her perspective, as dusty, dirty, nasty and disorganized as you need it to be. We know better. That dust protects stuff, the drill bits should be organized just the way they are thank you very much. Yes I need more than a few clamps, yes I need multiple squares etc... It should be a place where once the power tools are turned off, you can fart, watch Benny Hill, or sports, or Terminator movies, and drink beer to your hearts content. YOU should be able to find exactly what you need to do the work at hand, when you need it, without having to take her stuff off, or out of a work surface or area.

And if that fails, and she likes to sew, maybe you can start putting your glue ups on her sewing machine table... Hey if her tomato starters are in your shop why not?

END OF WARNING AREA.

Now on a more serious note. If she is all that reasonable. Just let her know that things are the way they are in your shop because you set them up that way, so you can more easily, and SAFELY make the things she likes having around the house... Put it in terms of her benefit, and you will score serious points, not to mention most likely come out ahead in the game.

For the most part, a little dust isn't a bad thing, but a lot of dust and shavings everywhere, and she might have a legit reason to fuss at you... If you don't have one yet, get one of those brush ends for your shop vac. They do wonders for cleaning fine dust off of stuff...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

No, and anyone who claims they can is selling something.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'm just guessing, but they are hard to explain because they are the ones given a uterus.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Dad tried to explain things to me 1 time about women, we popped the tops on a coupla cold beers and he said " FERGETABOUIT"

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you understand them, chances are you are one of them
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
              If you understand them, chances are you are one of them
              That's pretty simple...it's "us" and "them".

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

just before i got married, my dad told me there were two things every man should know about woman............

AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE!!!
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Repeat after me...."yes dear".
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Our pastor quoted someone in his lesson last Sunday...

"I don't want to understand women. Women understand women, and they can't get along with each other."

Might have been a Mark Twain statement--but honestly i can't recall...i should pay better attention!!

earl

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Just quote the above statement to my Wife She said what don't you understand? then said you read too much into it. This as I get ready to spend my 30TH night in the guest room.

Mainly because we have both have had colds are trying to get over them or not trading them back and forthl. She gets terrible colds that a made worse by her COPD and her constant coughing.

Tom

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Redford MI.
                        • Craftsman 21829

Click image for larger version

Name:	MenVsWomen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	786378

It's all in how you play with the knobs.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

There are numerous stratagies that can be applied during an argument with a woman...

NONE OF WHICH WORK!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

My late wife did not like my workshop in our Pittsburgh house. It was the front of the 28 feet deep garage. I did not clean up a lot so there was sawdust on the floor most of the time. She liked the results of my mess but she did not like the mess. She never tried to clean it up, however, or make suggestions on organization - at least that I remember. When we moved to SC, we wanted a house with a separate shop area. That resulted in a house with a basement for a second garage (with it's own driveway). We were happy with the decision and I still am. She didn't have to look at my mess daily.

My fiancee is not a resident of my house yet, just a frequent visitor. She wants to change what will be our bedroom and I have agreed. We may eventually build "our house" but probably not until her girls finish college, about 5 years. She enjoys fixing up houses including some woodworking. She rebuilt the deck on her house. We have not tried any projects together yet but I am optomistic that having a somewhat skilled helper will be great. At the worst, it will be like my late wife and I will not have a helper. I can't stand somebody who knows little making "suggestions" that are distracting and not at all useful. Comments from somebody who knows something (like my son) are good things. My late wife could never understand how little she knew and that I just wanted her to do EXACTLY what I asked without comments. So she didn't help.

We like to joke about women but anybody we live with in the sort of close relationship of a marriage is going to frustrate us sometimes - as we do them. One of the scary things about getting married again is having to learn all the little things that my late wife and I learned in almost 29 years. We'll get there but it takes time to understand each other - and it is a never ending process.

Jim

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

On the3 26Th of this month it will be 47 years and I still don't understand her. She leave the shop and Garage alone and doesn't complain. My biggest issue with her is her negativity, She isn't happy unless she can find something to complain about. My brother in law and I spent a year bluilding cabinets for our kitchens and laid .350 sqft of tile in my kitchen and Sun room beside the tile backsplash and Granite counter tops. She had choices on every thing. When it was all done she said it was beautiful but and found something she wished was different. She is one of those people that won't allow herself to be happy. Sometimes she pays a price for it. I do what I can to please her but it has to please me also or it doesn't get done. I need the self satisfaction and then I can live with what ever.

Tom

Comment

Working...