X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Reading flash drive without computer

A few years back I saw a device that would automatically read and copy all of the files from a flash drive. You had to supply your own hard drive. Basically an external hard drive (and about the same size) with a usb port to read data. Anyone know what it's called and where I can find one?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

try googling for flash drive duplicator

http://www.produplicator.com/dm-ily-usb03.html
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

The devices I am thinking of, are going to make you want a computer, since it will be cheaper to use them with an automatic script.

Forensic duplicator.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• newbie2wood
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • NJ, USA.

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-otg-adapter.html

I have not ordered from the website, but I think the item fits your description.

Comment

• trungdok
          Established Member
          • Oct 2012
          • MA

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          The devices I am thinking of, are going to make you want a computer, since it will be cheaper to use them with an automatic script.

Forensic duplicator.
          I agree. But I think this is for a niche situation, such as when you're travelling and want to transfer/back up your photos from the camera when you don't have access to a computer.

Comment

• Jim Bow
            Handtools only
            • Aug 2008

wouldn"t it be easier to just buy multiple memory cards for the camera?

Not many cameras take a USB thumb drive.

Comment

• trungdok
              Established Member
              • Oct 2012
              • MA

Certainly, at least for me it is. But, different stroke for different folks.

Most card readers are of USB based.

Comment

• RAV2
                Established Member
                • Aug 2007
                • Massachusetts

Originally posted by jussi
                A few years back I saw a device that would automatically read and copy all of the files from a flash drive. You had to supply your own hard drive. Basically an external hard drive (and about the same size) with a usb port to read data. Anyone know what it's called and where I can find one?
                You can get a nice netbook for under $200 at Walmart and do a lot more tasks - including the one you wish to do.

This one is $178 and includes a 320Gb hard drive:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-Ri...arter/21777756

I have MS Office on mine and use it as a ultra portable backup when needed.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

There are any number of ways and devices that will allow a plug-in for the flash drive... but the problem is the software for the transfer.

Both of my cameras have mini-USB receptacles and both my laptop and my printer, as well as my Sony Dash will accept that USB connection and read the flash drive or the content of the camera. But without the necessary software, windows Explorer or whatever, you can't copy or move the files off the device. Neither camera offers "transfer" all by itself... as that software must reside on the mating device. And though that software could be put on a flashdrive, there is no interface there to activate it... thus the need for the laptop or other human-interface method.

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...