Do you, or anyone you know, make stuff to sell?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Now for me, for the most part, I make stuff just for the joy of it, or because I need it, but every once in a while, I have built stuff, mostly clocks, that other people see, and, well one thing leads to another, and money and products change hands... This has me thinking about other areas, and ways to market these things etc...

So that goes back to the question in the subject. Do you, or anyone you know, make stuff to sell? If so, what kind of stuff? How well do you do selling it? What sales methods are you using? (a website, craft shows, consignment shops etc...).

Mind you, I am not just talking wood products here either. Metals, plastics, textiles, electronics etc..

For example, I have in the past custom built computers and networks for SOHO applications. My marketing was exclusively word of mouth, and I was typically busy enough to have to turn down work on a regular basis.

I likewise have sold a fair number (for me anyway) of desk and mantle clocks out of wood, metal, and / or acrylic. And again, this has all been word of mouth marketing.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    Not as much as I used to, found it was not a great way to make money. I do still build period reproductions for particular clients, but it's really just word of mouth and I am pretty selective about the jobs I will take. As a practical matter, the number of clients willing to pay six figures for a handmade piece is small.

I have also made and sold turnings such as Christmas ornaments and pens through higher end art/craft shows. There are various artist/craftsman groups and guilds that sponsor these shows. If you can make enough pieces to get fast enough (e.g. I can make a pen in 10 minutes, start to finish - but I had to make 200 of them to streamline the process enough to get to that point), you can make a decent income from these shows, even given the high booth fees (often $1000 to $2000 for a weekend show)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
      Not as much as I used to, found it was not a great way to make money. I do still build period reproductions for particular clients, but it's really just word of mouth and I am pretty selective about the jobs I will take. As a practical matter, the number of clients willing to pay six figures for a handmade piece is small.
      Six figure reproductions...sounds spectacular...post some pictures.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Six figure reproductions...sounds spectacular...post some pictures.

+1

and some more text so this post goes through

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

I have also made and sold turnings such as Christmas ornaments and pens through higher end art/craft shows. There are various artist/craftsman groups and guilds that sponsor these shows. If you can make enough pieces to get fast enough (e.g. I can make a pen in 10 minutes, start to finish - but I had to make 200 of them to streamline the process enough to get to that point), you can make a decent income from these shows, even given the high booth fees (often $1000 to $2000 for a weekend show)
          I'm learning that making a few of something takes not much more time than making one, so i'm getting better about making a spare.

I'm not sure that i've ever seen a 6 figure piece of furniture!! Any pictures??
          earl

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by greenacres2
            I'm not sure that i've ever seen a 6 figure piece of furniture!! Any pictures??
            You probably have seen six figure furniture and just didn't realize it. More of the furniture pieces on display in museums are reproductions than most people realize. When you consider that making something like a federal highboy can take upwards of 2000 hours with hand methods, even at a net labor cost of only $50/hour it hits the six figure range.

There are a few pictures of my work on the site, but you will have to hunt for them. Generally my clients don't want pictures of their pieces shared, for a host of reasons including theft and IP. I used to post more pictures, but another poster complained it made them feel insignificant, so I rarely post pictures any more. I have shared some pictures privately with others on this site, but probably won't share pictures publicly as I don't want to offend or hurt others.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

There are a few pictures of my work on the site, but you will have to hunt for them.
              Tried that and none were found.
              Generally my clients don't want pictures of their pieces shared, for a host of reasons including theft and IP.
              If you upload them as attachments in lieu of a hosting site, they are not traceable.

I used to post more pictures, but another poster complained it made them feel insignificant, so I rarely post pictures any more.
              Really? Likely someone just getting into woodworking.

I have shared some pictures privately with others on this site, but probably won't share pictures publicly as I don't want to offend or hurt others.
              That's so very thoughtful of you. You could send them to me in a PM. I promise I won't be offended.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I too would love to see some posts - I am humble in my work and will not be offended in the least bit! Let us see the show stoppers, please! I find it inspirational, something to strive for, so if your pieces are of this caliber, be proud and post them.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I've made a few pieces for a fee, but not many. Do barter services with the neighbor a bit.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

We don't get out to city museums much, so the closest i've been to 6 figure furniture is the driver's seat of a fire truck!!

Back to topic--LOML has been encouraging me to do a few things to put in a local consignment shop. With the Incra's capabilities i could knock out trivets quickly enough to maybe supplement my Table Saw Fund (TSF, donations would be welcome!!)

earl

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by greenacres2
                      Back to topic--LOML has been encouraging me to do a few things to put in a local consignment shop. With the Incra's capabilities i could knock out trivets quickly enough to maybe supplement my Table Saw Fund (TSF, donations would be welcome!!)
                      In this area, there are really two categories of work that seem to sell well:
                      1. Nice work at low prices
                      2. Really unique work that causes people to think "that's really neat" at moderate prices.

If you can make nice trivets that you can sell for $5 to $15 and still make money and a decent wage on the deal, that would likely be a very hot seller. As the price needed increases, though, sales will drop.

The problem seems to be that the general public thinks of everything in terms of low end import pricings. They will look at a trivet and think "I can get that at XYZ store for $5" - but if it is nice, different, and interesting to them, they may be willing to pay a little more for the handmade item.

Other folks appreciate hand made items and actively seek them out. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be enough of those folks, at least in this area.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

In this area, there are really two categories of work that seem to sell well:
                        1. Nice work at low prices
                        2. Really unique work that causes people to think "that's really neat" at moderate prices.

The problem seems to be that the general public thinks of everything in terms of low end import pricings. They will look at a trivet and think "I can get that at XYZ store for $5" - but if it is nice, different, and interesting to them, they may be willing to pay a little more for the handmade item.
                        I totally agree with this!

I make pens for a hobby and LOML has greatly encouraged me to get into "selling" them as a second income of sorts. I will not because it is my "relaxation" and it becomes "work" with pressure, perfection and deadlines when done for work!

That said, I have spent much time with the thought of making pens as an income, and I know that I could do that. However, most people think of pens in the $10 - $40 range. I make one pen design on occasion that takes me about 6 hours per pen. 6 times $25, which is way on the low side for the precison and artistic work, that works out to $150, plus the material of $50 equals $200. In my local market area I couldn't get more that $50 - $60 and that would be considered high. However, I have a contact in a large metro resort area that once promised me that it could draw upwards of $500 if I wanted to make a few on consignment. THAT intrigues me. I would probably make $300 by consignment through him.

AND, I am speaking from the point that measurements are in the .001 tolerance for fittings and sizing, and no imperfections noticeable under a magnifing glass.

$500+ in one market, $50 in another. High end markets make things worthwhile. I am not a pen "snob". I don't go for high end per se. But I am very self critical of what I make and how I make it. And the result fits into a specific category. I will not sell a pen like that in a cheap market. I would rather give it away to a friend than sell it for $50.00. The hours of labor in the perfection of fit and finish and the aesthetics (artistic design) is just cheapened with the idea of selling it for $50.00. It is an insult for me to spend 6 hours of maticulous fitting of such a small work.

This hit home last year when a rather wealthy individual asked me to make 5 pens for "graduation" presents. "I will pay more than enough because I know you do great work". (This person had made some sizable donations to my missions work when we lived in Japan, so I did not say anything as to price). This person sees custom pens (of lesser quality) in a display case at a custom jeweler's shop that both of us go to on occasion in a larger metro area. After giving the pens with nice pen cases, I was handed an envelop with some money in it. When I got home and checked, it had $150. Ugh! The pen components cost that much! Rather than causeing a squabble, I just ate it and decided "No More!" BTW, the average prices on the lesser quality custom pens in the jewelers case were double the price I was given per pen!
                        Last edited by leehljp; 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leehljp
                          I will not because it is my "relaxation" and it becomes "work" with pressure, perfection and deadlines when done for work!
                          Excellent point, I feel the same way.

I make one pen design on occasion that takes me about 6 hours per pen. 6 times $25, which is way on the low side for the precison and artistic work, that works out to $150, plus the material of $50 equals $200.
                          Just to be clear, the pens you are making are NOT the pens I was making in 10 minutes. The 10 minute pens were simple, straight-sided pens made from the $3 to $5 kits. I was making them to sell in a cost-sensitive market. I stopped doing pens after a craft show where two amateur pen-makers tried to undercut each other. I was better off buying the pens from one of them for $2.50 than paying $3.00 for the kits. I tried to talk with them about the impact their undercutting would have on the folks who do this for a living, but to no avail.

This hit home last year when a rather wealthy individual asked me to make 5 pens for "graduation" presents. "I will pay more than enough because I know you do great work". (This person had made some sizable donations to my missions work when we lived in Japan, so I did not say anything as to price). This person sees custom pens (of lesser quality) in a display case at a custom jeweler's shop that both of us go to on occasion in a larger metro area. After giving the pens with nice pen cases, I was handed an envelop with some money in it. When I got home and checked, it had $150. Ugh! The pen components cost that much!
                          I've had similar experiences. If I make something for a friend, I think of it as a gift. If they feel they have to "pay" me for it, fine, but I don't quote a price or feel hurt when they give me too little for it.

Had that experience on the engineering side as well. Did a favor for a sales rep who had helped us out a lot, spent a day visiting a client with him to help with some design problems. I told him to give me whatever he thought was fair, so he gave me $100 - at a time when the going rate for consulting was in the $250/range (that's gross charge to customer, not net pay).

Maybe we are all fundamentally "cheap" at heart, or at least most of us

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Excellent point, I feel the same way.
                            Just to be clear, the pens you are making are NOT the pens I was making in 10 minutes. The 10 minute pens were simple, straight-sided pens made from the $3 to $5 kits. I was making them to sell in a cost-sensitive market.
                            I understood that. I didn't mean to give the wrong perception,

I've had similar experiences. If I make something for a friend, I think of it as a gift. If they feel they have to "pay" me for it, fine, but I don't quote a price or feel hurt when they give me too little for it.

Maybe we are all fundamentally "cheap" at heart, or at least most of us
                            I would rather give something as a gift or just do it as a gift. Actually it was just as much my fault for letting the dollar sign ring up when I heard " pay for it". Shucks, I would have made them anyway for cost just because it was requested from the person. But when I heard "pay more than", my mind ran forward with expectation. And I discovered the real "market" of where I lived.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                              Established Member
                              • May 2009
                              • Greenbush Maine
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Since quitting my day job and becoming a web developer, it will have taken me almost a year to get the time back in my shop that I need. By my anniversary of leaving the old job, I will have my own website up for selling a few products, and potentially hit some craft shows, to supplement my web development.

Comment

Working...