• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wood Magazine on DVD.

Does anyone have the Wood Magazine DVD archive set? Can you give us a quick review of it?

In my never ending quest to clear up space in my shop and home, I am considering picking the set up, and getting rid of my paper copies, but it only goes to 2009, and I am not really sure it's worth it... I would like to hear from someone that paid the $$ to get the set and how your experience has been...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

I've got it, and I quite like it.

The big thing about it is that the magazines are on the DVD in PDF format. This is important (at least to me) because you can put them on your tablet, iPad, iPhone, etc... which is really where I want to read them. If I can only read them on my computer, then they aren't honestly that useful.

Other than that it's pretty much what you would expect. I don't really have any complaints. Only one minor nitpick. For the first 120 issues or so that they leave all the ads in the PDF. This works great, because then the PDF page number works out (i.e. if the contents says page 90, it's probably page 90 in the PDF). In the last 80 issues, they've removed the ads from the PDF. This is annoying because then you look in the contents and find the article you want is at page 90 in the magazine, but since ads are removed, it could be page 60, or 70, or 80, or anywhere in the PDF.

Overall though, I'd say a great value, and they are very good to read on the iPad.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Good to know it displays well on mobile devices...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Ya might also try you local community library to see if they have it or can get it for you to see if you like it enough to buy. Tho I have heard a few folks had copied the dvd on their computers and the returned it too the library

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, the Libraries around me don't have it...

My ShopNotes DVD came in today. So far it looks pretty good. Just a simple HTML page linking .pdf files... Nothing too fancy. Not sure why they say it requires the latest browser. This is seriously old tech for computer stuff...

I am less concerned about the ShopNotes than Wood magazine though. The Shop Notes seems to cover everything up to the end of 2012, Wood Magazine hasn't updated theirs since 2009... I expect they will happily sell me the update DVD when the next one is released, but I would sure love the issues from 2009-2012 in the mean time... I REALLY need to clear out space...

Comment

Working...