• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Our New Puppy?

Tomorrow LOML and I will be visiting this German Shepherd puppy. She is 4 months old. She needs a good home.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shep pup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	798177

• conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Smartest dog ever created. Bet it will be love at first sight.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Cabinetman,

Take this as it is meant, from somebody that has been there, not all that long ago...

If you think a new pup will replace the one that passed on, and along with it take away the pain of a longtime companion being taken from your life, please don't get this dog.

LOML rushed me into getting a new pup after our beloved 14 year old lab passed on back in 2010, now mind you, the new dog is a great dog, but he's in no way shape or form a replacement... Just like if a friend passed away, and you met a new friend. You will still miss your old friend. Go through the grieving process. You need the time.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Sweet Willy
        Established Member
        • May 2011
        • Near Chattanooga, TN
        • ridgid 3650

This is the real "Sweet Willy." He thinks she's a babe. Cabinetman makes a good point. If you do get that cutie, just remember she'll have her own personality and love her for the German Shepherd SHE is.
        Attached Files
        In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
        Dennis

Sweet Willy
        sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
          Cabinetman,

Take this as it is meant, from somebody that has been there, not all that long ago...

If you think a new pup will replace the one that passed on, and along with it take away the pain of a longtime companion being taken from your life, please don't get this dog.

LOML rushed me into getting a new pup after our beloved 14 year old lab passed on back in 2010, now mind you, the new dog is a great dog, but he's in no way shape or form a replacement... Just like if a friend passed away, and you met a new friend. You will still miss your old friend. Go through the grieving process. You need the time.
          One dog doesn't replace another dog. We still have one German Shepherd that needs a buddy, now that hers has been taken from her. I doubt that she needs a "grieving" period".

Comment

• greencat
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Grand Haven Mi

Great looking dog. Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
            Thanks again,
            Mike

Comment

• sailor55330
              Established Member
              • Jan 2010

Don't discount the other dog. You say you doubt she needs a grieving period. When we lost our lab, our GSP was totally lost and listless even though they were almost 6 years apart. When we did get another dog over a year later, she became very stand-offish to use and now that the pup is 1 year old, is starting to resent him and has gotten nippy towards him at times. Really hard to say what goes through their mind.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Update

Well, here's what happened. We planned on going to Animal Control, which is like the Humane Society, to see her lunchtime. So, I thought it might be a good idea to call first to see if she was still available.

They put a hold on the dogs to give someone time to claim their lost dog. She was still in that hold period, and someone else had put a deposit on her pending the result of the hold. What can you do? Back to square one. We plan on going there tomorrow to have a looksee.

There's another shelter in the other direction in the county that is on our itinerary. The way I see this disappointment is that the dog wasn't meant for us.

Comment

• jaybee
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Regina, SK, Canada
                  • BT3100-1

The other perspective is that your dog is being saved for you, by any means available.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry for you loss Mike,

canines do become part of the family. I know...
                    I agree with jaybee, your canine member is waiting for you somewhere......

Comment

Working...