• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Android Security

LOML and I bought each other basic tablets( Kobo Arc) for Christmas. I was wondering if an antivirus is something I should look into and which one?

Thanks.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Try here...
    https://play.google.com/store/search...tection&c=apps

Comment

• trungdok
      Established Member
      • Oct 2012
      • MA

Antiviruses on Android are pretty much useless. As long as you just download apps from Google Play you should be fine.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by trungdok
        Antiviruses on Android are pretty much useless. As long as you just download apps from Google Play you should be fine.
        Really? How about all the email that we get through our phones? Aren't we at risk for getting viruses that way? I haven't looked into AV for the phone b/c I am afraid it would slow it to a halt, but I also don't do anything on that phone that requires a p-word.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• trungdok
          Established Member
          • Oct 2012
          • MA

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Really? How about all the email that we get through our phones? Aren't we at risk for getting viruses that way? I haven't looked into AV for the phone b/c I am afraid it would slow it to a halt, but I also don't do anything on that phone that requires a p-word.
          For emails, not unless you literally click on links in unknown emails, follow through with them, download applications, and install them, then you should be alright. Basically, don't click through questionable emails. The biggest issues you would face are apps leaking data or send SMS in the background. That's why it's a good practice before installing any app to read through its information to see what type of access it has on your phone/tablet. Generally, the majority of apps from Google Play are good with not leaking data, but then there certainly are some that do. Google Play supposedly scans its store for those rouge apps. I personally have been using Android since the very first phone came out with it and I've never got an issue with virus. I also run my computers without antivirus (real time protection running) for years without any issue.

But if it would make you feel more secure, try an antivirus software out to see if it slows your phone down or not. If it does, simply uninstall it.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Some good points. I use aVast on the home pc and avg before that and knock on wood I too have never needed anything more... The thing I dislike about many of the apps on google play is the fact that they dig so far into your privacy in the name of providing you with services... I find it distasteful that you should pay for a service monthly to be hit with these privacy intrusions. Would you have stood idle when we only had land line phones with someone eavesdropping on your conversations? So why now are so many people complacent about the lack of privacy these smart phones afford?
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Google Play doesn't have a tight control on the apps that are on there- one of the downfalls of the Open Garden approach. So while Angy Birds won't get you a virus, there are some things on the Google Play Store that are not advised to download.

Most tech websites that I've seen DO reccomend an anti-virus program.
              I use Lookout Security on my phone, and have had no problems.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                I use aVast on the home pc and avg before that and knock on wood I too have never needed anything more...
                Same here. BTW...what species of wood?

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I use AVG on all my Android devices, and on my Windows PCs. I use ClamAV on my Linux stuff to keep the Windows boxes happy...

I happen to like AVG as it does a MUCH better job than Symantec Corporate Edition. But it DOES tend to slow my PC down a touch. At least my Windows XP Athlon XP3200+ box... The quad core Win 7 box it doesn't phase at all...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I used Lookout Security when I had an Android phone and was quite happy with it. I'm using a Windows 7.5 phone now and haven't yet settled on a system for it.
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...