Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tool Review Contest :-)

Lets have some fun.
    Last month Dave posted an ad parodying Harbor Freight (Hazard Fraught Tools) in this thread http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ht=meglinating
    One of the fine tools in the ad was a Meglinating Variable Intensity Multifunction Power Tool - MVIMPT for short.

Lets have a contest for the best review of this fine tool. No purchase necessary, pretend you bought it, took it home and set it up. I'm not able to confirm that you actually bought this tool. Just keep in mind the spirit in which this is run. What kind of experience would you have with this tool?
    As usual people are interested in the Instructions, ease of assembly, how well it keeps its settings, fit, finish. portability, power, whether it meets the specs, and how well it compares to the name brand devices it was copied from. Also human factors like ease of use, user satisfaction, and safety.

Post your entry in this thread... lets not pollute the real tool reviews. I'll have to think of some kind of nominal sur-Prize.

To put you in the mood, here's the whole Parody ad:
    https://doc-0k-48-docsviewer.googleu...xKKk7azcOunktu
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe its just me, but the link to the entire parody doesnt seem to be working. What else would you expect from Hazard Fraught Tools...
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

works for me.anyone else not see it?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Sawatzky
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • CA
        • Ridgid TS3650

it did not work for me

Comment

• Irv Lee
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2011

Try this Link:
          http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012..._tool_sale.pdf

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

This no fun at all. Link is questionable

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't have problems with any of the links.
              these work for me as well:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9...orfraught2.jpg

http://hooniverse.com/2012/09/24/tru...fraught-tools/

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36531
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• frumper64
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Garland, Tx, USA.

Works okay for me
                Jim
                64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Ok, so I give...

I bought the HF 80 pce. nose picking kit. This dry weather is just making my sinus unbearable and I am afraid of using my hands for hygenic and civil reasons. So off I went on christmas day to pick it up, because we all know that HF is always open.

The package looked good, but when I got home I was disappointed for several reasons. First, HF counts every little moveable piece in their 80 pce box count!!! I am not kidding you In all I got 26 attachments and the tool Apparently after being on tech support for several hours and after being transferred several times, I found the lone english speaking tech support personnel working today to tell me that since the arbor attaches each individual attachment via a screw, each attachment counts for three items WTH... I wished I had looked the item over more carefully, but at this point I was livid and just hung up with him. I decided that hey, I used a 20% coupon, so I didn't really get hosed on this purchase. Lets just plug it in and see if this will help my nose feel better. Well, there was no cord.... So I have 26 attachments and the tool, by my math that's 79 items mr. tech support guru!!! Where the heck is the cord.... and that's when I found the battery compartment door
                  Suffice to say, the attachments do more abrading than picking and the short battery life and noise of the machine in proximity to your face makes this device a less than one star purchase. I would suggest you see an ENT instead, which is what I ended up having to do this christmas morning as one of the tapered attachments mounting screws got loose, and lodged itself between the cone shaped attachment and my right nostril.... I type this while waiting for the ENT or a magnet... I am not sure which my new government mandated insurance will afford me
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

THat's what I'm talking about.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Pittsburgh, PA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Last month Dave posted an ad....

One of the fine tools in the ad was a Meglinating Variable Intensity Multifunction Power Tool - MVIMPT for short.

Lets have a contest for the best review of this fine tool..... I'll have to think of some kind of nominal sur-Prize.
                      Hi Loring,

I regret that I will be unable to participate in this contest, since I did not happen to pick up this fine tool on any of my many trips to HF.

On the other hand, I would like to make a suggestion regarding the last part of your post. I think that the prize should be: forum members should send the winner any HF tool that either has not met their expectations or that no longer functions (doorstop function shall not count as a function in this circumstance).

As an example, I, myself, will send the lucky winner my HF Item #68262 "Combination Poison Dart Blowgun/Colonoscopy Prep Kit."

I will say that this tool worked much, much better for one of its intended purposes than the other, but I'm not saying which is which!

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        To put you in the mood, here's the whole Parody ad:
                        https://doc-0k-48-docsviewer.googleu...xKKk7azcOunktu
                        I'm still trying to figure out this link.

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

tool review, Harbor Freight Meglinating variable intensity multifunction power tool

During a recent visit to Harbor Freight, I noticed they had the Meglinating Multitool on sale for $59.99. After some haggling, whining, crying, and begging, they let me apply a 20% off coupon AND gave me a free flashlight, so my net cost was $47.99 plus tax.

I bought this tool specifically to untrank the concrete finials on my porch. I had tried the traditional Stanley hand tool without much success and had also tried the 520 HP commercial version from the rental store. I found the commercial tool nearly uncontrollable, even with two people and the cat helping. The HF multitool did an exceptional job on the untranking, and I achieved a pro quality result in just a few minutes.

This success prompted me to try some of the other functions. The ear wax removal tool (the toothed cutter shown on the right in the photo) was very effective in removing excess ear wax from the dog's ears. Sadly, it took me a few minutes to "get the hand of" it and I sliced through the skin on the first ear. This startled the dog at first, but a quick belly rub made everything OK. Aren't dogs wonderful?

I tried the subdivot preneumanizing tool next. There are actually two sizes provided, one for the larger subdivots one normally finds in larger home shop projects such as the vintage Tiger tank I am restoring in my basement shop and the smaller one that is sized just right for nanomachines. The nozzle of the larger tool is the brass nozzle in the left in the picture, and the smaller version is just above it, on a gimbled right angle arm.

The large version worked great on the Tiger tank project - friends who stopped by to review my progress commented they had never seen a subdivot preneumanized to quite that degree or with quite so many colors.

Unfortunately, the smaller version did not work so well. I first tried the tool on a arterial plaque removal nanomachine that we use for home arterial cleaning. If you aren't familiar with these nanomachines, it resembles a small weedwacker on a rocket sled and navigates through the arteries "weedwacking" plaque off the artery walls.

On my first attempt, the fractionating molecular clamp became entangled in the deeper quantum well, causing the molecular structure of the nanomachine to disintegrate. Thinking that this was just a result of bumping a Higg's boson when inserting the tool, I tried the tool on a second nanomachine, a Brown polyp remover. At first it appeared the subdivot preneumanizing was successful, but when I initiated the polyp removal procedure on the goldfish, the remover stalled and jammed, requiring surgical removal.

I haven't yet tried the other functions, but plan to do so soon. One strange thing I have noticed is that the tool seems to be an animal repellant. Whenever I remove the tool from it's packaging, the dog goes running, the fish hide in the aquarium plants, and the cat freezes, falls over, and plays dead. I'm not sure what effect, if any, it has on the rabbit or the hamster, since I have not been able to locate either one since I cleaned the dog's ears.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

I have had the Moron Lamp since September. I got it at the sidewalk sale where it was marked down to $3.87. By combining a 20% off coupon and a federal green energy tax credit the net price was -$0.79 (after I get my tax return). I didn't have an immediate need for this tool, but at that price I just couldn't pass it up.

I hadn't had a need for the Moron Lamp until two days ago. Due to a recent accident while using the 18-volt cordless hammer (Don't ask. I'm serious, don't ask. I'll kill you if you ask), I had a cast on my right hand. With only one hand available I could not locate my rear end. With the convenient head mount I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to deploy the Moron Lamp, given the usual proximity of my head to the lost item.

I could not have been more disappointed. The instructions were clearly written (for once!), but said only, "If you need instructions, this tool is for you". At first I thought this must have been some sort of ancient Chinese advice from The Art of War by Sun Tsu, but I just couldn't figure it out.

After a couple of hours of ruminating I decided to try the supplied arbor wrench. Unfortunately, the metric wrench did not fit the SAE battery compartment. I monkeyed with it for another couple of hours, but was completely stumped.

I was never able to make the darned thing work. I suspect it was either bad batteries or a burned out filament in the LED. Thankfully, my wife came home from her holiday visit with her sister (who I thought lived in Hoboken, but I noticed the airline ticket was for Las Vegas - I can't keep up with family happenings. I'm going to have to start reading those Christmas update letters). Aaanyhoo, wifey pointed out that my pitootey was right right where I had left it - in my jeans!

I give this tool two thumbs down.

BTW - if anyone wants a brand-new, never-used Moron Lamp I have one posted in Member Classifieds. The first $39 takes it.
                            JR

Comment

Working...