replacement for Google Desktop on XP/Win7?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 4055
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

    #1

    replacement for Google Desktop on XP/Win7?

    I work with a lot of data in files spread across different shared locations generated by multiple users and I have Google Desktop installed on my PC at work. It has been a job-saver to find the one important keyword in an obscure file. However, as PCs in the lab die or get replaced, the copies of Google Desktop can't be replaced because Google doesn't offer it for download anymore.

    What are you guys using to replace Google Desktop on XP and Win7?

    Thanks,
    Paul
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • 9562
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    Win XP is going away in a few months, don't bother with it. Win 7 has desktop search built in...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

    Comment

    • Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 1988

      #3
      To be fair, XP isn't going anywhere, it's just going to be not officially supported anymore.

      No one knows this more than me, I'll be using XP machines at work probably for the next three years, well after the 2014 date.

      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
      I have a little blog about my shop

      Comment

      • radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • 3061
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

        #4
        I'm sure you should be able to find some download site still giving you Google Desktop which you can re-use for all you machines?

        Win 7's inbuilt search is pretty good - though I've not needed to test it out extensively with text searches across my whole disk et al.

        When I was on XP, I had liked other search options even more than Google, for performance, features etc. These were (in decreasing order of preference) Yahooo Desktop (I think it was called X1 for whatever reason), Copernic, and Locate32. The last of these, I only tried once or twice.

        Yahoo was good because it managed its indexing with minimal impact on other programs I might be using or had open, and it could also search within Outlook mail etc.

        Hope that helps.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

        Comment

        • frumper64
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • 376
          • Garland, Tx, USA.

          #5
          A quick google search does indeed show several sites from which you should be able to download Google Desktop 5. Older versions seem to be a bit more limited, but I would be willing to bet the are still out there.
          Jim
          64sedan_at_gmail.com

          Comment

          • atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • 4055
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

            #6
            I'll do a search for it but if it doesn't come from the source, I don't really trust it.

            A lot of my computers are attached to lab equipment that aren't Win7 compatible. None of them are Win7 except my laptop.
            Last edited by atgcpaul; 12-08-2012, 06:03 AM.

            Comment

            Working...