X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Need a great flashlight ?

If and I do mean if your local Home Depot still has any, these are by far the brightest and least expensive LED flashlight I have seen on the market ,550 lumens on 3 C-cell batterys included in the package, not a barn burner ,but at $20 more flashlight than most will ever need and only $20 and I have seen similiar at 5 times that price, better hurry as these will sell out quickly, I snatched up 2 ,one for the truck and another for the shotgun , http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...368321&cj=true
  • Jim1
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2007
    • Hill Country in Texas
    • General 650

Thanks! Always need a good light around the place. Picked up 2.

Comment

• jseklund
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

Thanks, I'm gonna go check this out. I am a bit of a flashlight junkie - everyone who knows me knows I have the brightest lights (including a 8,000 lumen light in a maglite body) and I'm always collecting more....

For $20, if this is even reasonably built, it is a great deal.
      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

There worth every penny IMHO,Heres a pic to size it with and the house is 50 yrds away .Wow tho 8000 lumens, what are you baking
        Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Nice find tommy!
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Just out of curiosity, how bright would something like a Cman C3 19.2v or Hitachi 14V flashlight that comes with a cordless drill be in comparison?
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Knottscott
              Just out of curiosity, how bright would something like a Cman C3 19.2v or Hitachi 14V flashlight that comes with a cordless drill be in comparison?
              http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19.2-...2&blockType=G2

Craftsman C3 flashlight 19.2V claims 1000 lumens.

Maglite 2D-Cell LED (3V) claims 110 lumens.

Maglite 3D-cell LED (4.5V) claims 104 lumens

Maglite 3D-cell incandescant (4.5V) claims 45 lumens

Maglite 2D-cell incandescant (3.0V) claims 19 lumens

Don't forget, when comparing lights, lumens is the total light output, the beam angle of a light greatly affects the brightness falling on a given area and so can make a narrow beam light appear much brighter. Also, the power has a great deal to do with it. A 19.2V flashlight can put more power into the bulbs source for a longer time and hence they can afford to run it at higher intensity. You trade off total lumens for battery size and operating time, unless you have significantly more lumens per watt, which would be the real advantage.

The C3 is bright because they have high voltage and a large battery pack and can throw more watts into the bulb. However, the 500 lumen LED will provide half the light output probably for a longer time being more efficient. OTOH, the larger pack of the C3 can increase the run time to competitive levels and being rechargable makes it cheaper per hour to run.

Not saying that more lumens, even for a shorter time, is not an advantage in certain situations. Just have to weigh all the factors, such as:
              weight
              size of beam
              brightness of beam
              run time with one set of batteries or one charge
              rechargable or not
              Base cost
              cost per hour OR cost per lumen-hour
              life of bulb
              ruggedness of construction

All the lights mentioned are attractive for one reason or another.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

One word of caution on the Craftsman as well as the Hitachi is they are not very shockproof and lend themselves toward easy bulb breakage. This is not to big a deal if you can find the bulbs, while the one I referenced has a cree xm/l bulb that readily available from several sources and less likely to break if dropped. The 1000 lumens claims seems about right for the Craftsman considering the voltage supplied, unfortunately I can find no way to attach it to my shotgun or carry easily in a holster of anykind,thats one of the things I needed in a flashlight and while I like the angle adjustability, its just something else that can break, but like Loring said all have their individual qualitys, get whats best for your situation. Thats a good find tho on the Craftsman, would make a nice light for working on or under a car if you happen to have the battery and charger.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow! There's a really similar one at Costco for $50. The only difference I can see is that one has a high and low setting as well as a strobe.

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

http://www.costco.com/TechLite-Lumen...100015093.html , the strobes a nice feature but shortens battery life immensly
                    Last edited by tommyt654; 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• jseklund
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by tommyt654
                      There worth every penny IMHO,Heres a pic to size it with and the house is 50 yrds away .Wow tho 8000 lumens, what are you baking
                      LOL - Yes, this light will light paper on fire at close range by shingint it on the paper. It gets hot and it's pretty amazing. When people hear that I built it, they look at me funny, but not one person who has seen it live has been able to avoid grinning from ear-to-ear....even people who aren't at all into lights. I live on Cape Cod and I can light up the walk way across the Cape Cod Canal like it was daylight. The downside....it will run for about 10 minutes and then you're done But what a glorious 10 minutes it has.

As for the lumens - Loring is pretty much spot on with his assessment, but it is a good rule of thumb that 4X the lumens = 2X the brightness. So, the C3 is probably not even 50% brighter than the light mentioned, IF (and it's a big if) all of the lumen figures on the packages are accurate (which they often are not).

Honestly, I think most people would be happy with a 200-250 lumen flashlight. 500 lumens is pretty bright, and if there is a smooth reflector in this thing, and the beam is somewhat focused, will probably light up an oject around 1,000 feet or more away.

500 lumens bounced off the ceiling, will be almost enough to read a book by. A typical house light bulb is usually around 800-1000 lumens.

This, to me, is a good desk or nightstand light. Leave a couple around the house for emergencies and you'll be happy.
                      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

These make pretty good desk light as you mentioned , http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 , However the one I initially linked to is a true 550 lumens if not more. The Cree xm/l T6 bulb is extremely bright and has a 100,000 hr life according to stats I have read about. Lots of folks build these monsters like yours as parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to get nowadays, but most simply purchase premade/manufactured flashlights as they are relatively cheap as China has dominated the building of these for yrs selling them to police depts and outdoorsman like myself.. The 1 I reference would be unable to use as a night light, its way too long and makes a good white light that lights up the area quite well, unfortunately my camera doesn't show just how bright it is. BTW you can purchase 8000 lumen flashlight as low as $80 easily nowadays, http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...lashlight.html , but I like this one its all I need to blind someone temporarily or light up the yard with and combined with the 20% off HF coupon it was less than $20. But be careful I have read reports of homebuilts blowing up in folks hands , http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&q...&bih=624before

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

My wife's favorite flashlight is the wind up kind. I couldn't trade her with a Maglite if I tried.

Comment

• RAV2
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Massachusetts

Picked up 3.

One for the car, junked my LED upgraded D Cell Maglite, one for the nightstand, and a backup in my drawer of stocking stuffers.

Comment

• jnesmith
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

OOS online and within 50 miles of me. Bummer.
                              John

Comment

Working...