• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Amazon Prime just got better

So, after getting a 50% discount on Amazon Prime, I finally became a full-fledged Amazon Prime subscriber.

Even at $82 or whatever it is, I think it's an incredible bargain. I have used the streaming service through my computer and my PS3/TV, and even if it's not quite as good as Netflix, it's not bad at all. But of course, the best thing is the free 2 day shipping, and $4/item overnight shipping.

I've always wondered though- how much money are they losing with that on shipping- especially with the big items? I've had a Jet midi lathe bed extension shipped overnight for $4. That had to have cost more than I paid for the item itself... Well, it must have been an issue, as they are now incentivising people to go with slower shipping. They call it "no rush", and on smaller items I've gotten a $1 credit for Amazon video/ streaming services, and just now I ordered a piece of furniture that I was going to have overnighted for $4 (I'm at least 6 months away from finally getting my shop in order, and being able to make my first simple piece of furniture- and I'm tired of my house being largely unfurnished). But instead, I opted for the "no rush" shipping and got 10% off. They cap it at $10, so that's all I got, but that's still not a bad deal. I can wait an additional few days to get my item.

This may just be a way to reduce shipping costs during the holidays, but it'll be interesting to see if it stays around after the new year. But I do hope this doesn't signal the end of free 2-day shipping, as I do still like to have that option.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I use Prime and my daughter and wife are on my Prime "Account", so that they, even with their own account get the advantage of my Prime without having to sign up for it for themselves. Doesn't cost me anymore with them on it.

I think you can have up to 4 family members on your Prime.

And yes, I noticed last week about the refund for reduced shipping.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

LOML uses Prime. She swears by Amazon.

Comment

• All Thumbs
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Penn Hills, PA
        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I think they've done the "no rush" deals previously. I could swear they did them last year.

Comment

• jdon
          Established Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Snoqualmie, Wash.
          • BT3100

I think (as a Prime subscriber) that it is something of a loss leader. I'm sure I'm not the only one who leans toward buying from Amazon just because shipping is free (or at least I've already paid for it in the subscription fee), and I want to "get full use" of what I paid up front.

Amazon must then get business it would not have seen had Prime not been there, so they must recoup some losses from shipping. I don't think we need to worry that Amazon is losing money- they seem to be doing okay financially

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I wonder if they charge a different price for prime/no prime customers based on the more expensive shipping.

I also wish there were two databases of Netflix and prime movies. When I had prime, there seemed to be a huge overlap. I want to compare and see which one has the better programming for me.

We do rent movies through Amazon's streaming service in addition to what's offered on Netflix. We don't have cable. I think renting it on Amazon for $2 is cheaper than driving to Red box, paying $1.27, driving home, and then driving back and home again to return it. However, amazon doesn't always have the newer movies for $2

Comment

• Skaning
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2010

Amazon Prime

I have noticed that articles bought through prime are slightly higher than through vendors that are non prime. Add the non prime shipping though and it's generally the same or higher. The real upside though is Amazons Shipping system. They say two days and it's there. Only one I've seen thats as good is Mc<aster- Carr. Those folks are incredible.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Skaning
                I have noticed that articles bought through prime are slightly higher than through vendors that are non prime. Add the non prime shipping though and it's generally the same or higher. The real upside though is Amazons Shipping system. They say two days and it's there. Only one I've seen thats as good is Mc<aster- Carr. Those folks are incredible.
                I noticed that from different vendors through Amazon that the prices vary. When I see cheaper prices that are non-prime, I look at the shipping. I do this regularly. The cheaper priced items + the shipping come out to a higher price 9 times out of 10 than the items with Prime.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sscherin
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Kennewick, WA, USA.

College Students can get 6 months Prime for Free..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info
                  William's Law--
                  There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                  cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• jseklund
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006

Amazon is a great company.

The idea behind prime was that they were spending a lot of money on advertising that was probably doing very little for them in the big picture. One day they decided to take their multi-million $ advertising budget and stop advertising - and instead used it to create the Prime setup.

The idea is great - they've taken funds they were already spending and actually made their product better for the customer, which has probably gotten them as much recognition and build loyal customers better than the advertising ever did for them.

So, yes - they are losing money in some sense on the shipping, but it's coming out of their advertising budget so it's not always as big a loss as you would think....
                    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Mildoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Copperas Cove TX
                      • BT

I order from Amazon > 150x a year (I hate shopping). Always wondered how they gave free shipping for $79 a year. Add in using the Amazon Visa card for 3 points per dollar spent, and I usually wind up paying nothing for tools and Christmas gifts.

Liked it better when there was no sales tax either, but it still saves me driving, dealing with crowds, etc. Long live Amazon!
                      We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• greenacres2
                        • Dec 2011
                        • La Porte, IN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I do a little Amazon, fair amount of ebay, and the rest is retail online. I hate paying shipping, but it costs about $10 in fuel and 90 of round-trip driving to get to the nearest Home Depot. I've seen some decent deals on Amazon lately, and LOML shops there a few times a year...so maybe it's time to take a look at the Prime thing. Thanks for the nudge.

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have AMazon Prime. I'll probably renew it in March.

One nice thing about it, I don't hesitate to buy just one item if I need it. Rather than try and save on shipping by waiting until i need several items.

A little disappointed that Amazon caved to the taxing states, that basically raised Amazon's prices by 7% for me. I think that has cost them some of my business. On the other hand, it puts the other B&M stores on a more even, competitive footing. I suppose it allows Amazon to have more distribution points - that probably helps shipping time. Maybe they thought it was inevitable.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...