• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
    They might not be gone after all... Sounds like Grupo Bimbo is bidding on the carcass. Looks like all those American union jobs might just get shipped south of the border where sugar, and labor are cheaper... Probably provide a mess of decent paying jobs someplace like Matamoros or somewhere like that...
    I have no comment on the purchase of the company, but the product is being offered for some outrageous prices...the latest.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Yeah, that's just stupid- both on the part of the seller and the news story. There are over 24,000 ebay listings froma search for Twinkies now, and you can find boxes of 10 being sold for $20-$30 shipped.

Why I would almost do that, obviously no-one is buying a million dollar Twinkie. As they say on Pawn Stars (a show I hate now, but used to love), what people are selling something for is very different than what people are buying an item for.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
        I'm wondering what will happen to Little Debbie.

I haven't been online in a while because of eye problems but I wanted to comment on this. Little Debbies are made by McKee Bakeries whose hq is about 4 miles from my house (Collegedale, TN). Apparently, they think they are going to fill in the gap left by Hostess. You should see the Thrift Store they have next to their factory. Wow! It's not big but they sure have a lot of good stuff there.
        Richard

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Rslaugh
          Tastykakes are better anyway.
          As someone who calls Philly his hometown, AGREED! I do like the Hostess fruit pies, though. I stopped eating them when they got too sweet for me to point my teeth hurt.

My mom rarely packed us these snack cakes when I was in school. Expensive calories. I'd occasionally get the generic store brand cinnamon rolls which I enjoyed unraveling to their nutty center. She also never bought us sweet cereal. It was always Kellogg's cornflakes, although, I got Trix, CapNCrunch, Lucky Charms, etc at summer camp for a week.

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Cassette tapes, Space shuttle, pay phones, (mostly), Saturday mail delivery, Pontiac, Oldsmobile.... just to name a few.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            I'm only 31, and this is the first thing to die/ go away that I can think of under the header "It's always been there my whole life". Not that Twinkies or Hostess has beena big part of my life- but it's just one of those things. My whole life Twinkie's have been around, but now they're gone (well, at least for now).

Bummer.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Dal300
              Cassette tapes, Space shuttle, pay phones, (mostly), Saturday mail delivery, Pontiac, Oldsmobile.... just to name a few.
              You forgot Mercury, Plymouth, Eagle, DeLorean, Compuserve, Atari (as a home computer manufacturer)

I'm sure there are a lot more out there...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

It looks like they are going into mediation to try to save the company. I hope it works. I bought my first Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies for 10¢. I remember getting mad when they went up to 12¢! I had to have them because they were advertised on the Howdy Doody show.

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

My doctor replied to my Email I sent her the other day. She expects me to 7-10 lbs lighter and my blood to be even better next spring than it was this year. I have tried some of the other snacks but I only like Hostess so I guess that is it for that type of stuff. Cut way back a couple of years ago when my blood work was so close to being Diabetic I changed my diet dramatically, so loosing Hostess will make it that much easier to stay on the straight and narrow. If some one buys the Brand bet they change something to make it less costly and the flavor will change. What happens if say WalMart buys it?

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I doubt mediation will lead anywhere- they seem to be too far apart. Company was paying $100M into pention fund, now they want to pay $25M along with pay cuts, etc. Looks like company wants to close. Union rejected the offer without even offering explanation what they did not like. The company is already in Chapter 11 for the second time in few years. Mediation was ordered by a judge - just extends the agony. I believe this horse is dead. I understand that there may be others interested in buying company assets but I believe buying assets in not same as buying the company - buyer does not assume any prevoius obligations or contracts the company had. Even if there is a buyer - I think union is out.
                    Alex V

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
                      You forgot Mercury, Plymouth, Eagle, DeLorean, Compuserve, Atari (as a home computer manufacturer)

I'm sure there are a lot more out there...
                      What the heck happened to critical consumables...like ROLAIDS?

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

OK, OK... But some of those had no impact in my life, or at wasn't a big deal to me...

In either case, I was being hyperbolic and making fun of the extreme reactions people have had. Hostess and Twinkie was Googled more than Gaza in the past few days...

Comment

• Dal300
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2011
                          • East Central Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Really? The space Shuttle had no impact on your life as a citizen? Our space program in my opinion has provided more benefits for us as a society than any other single innovation in the last 100 years.

I'll leave it to the dear readers to decide why or why not this is so. Each person has different ideas, but without our space program we wouldn't have that cute white tape we put around pipe fittings. Better yet, we wouldn't have PVC plumbing pipe. We wouldn't have cell phones, micro computers, desk top computers or the internet, (although Al Gore still says he invented it).
                          Arthur Clarke proposed the comm satellites in 1948. They were stationed around the LaGrange points around the earth.
                          Robert Heinlein proposed wireless communication in 1940.
                          Isaac Asimov proposed high speed air and rail transportation. (Trains now travel faster between Boston and New York City than Aircraft did in 1942).

CGI, Chromakey, Photoshop, Teflon, polyurethane, dripless faucets, thermo foam mattresses, cold weather clothing, engines that start in sub-zero weather, (In 1965 a car was expected to last almost 100,000 miles, tolerances for main and rod bearings were around .005"... now they can last 200,000 miles and bearing tolerance is .0005"

Diesel engines are hauling freight for 500,000 miles with an expected rebuild at 1,000,000 miles. In my younger days, getting 500,000 out of a heavy diesel was almost unheard of.
                          All these innovations and innovations benefit you every day, not just indirectly, but right in front of you at the check out counter.

Sorry, The above opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect on the forum as a whole.

Why would the Sheeple Google Gaza, Ben Ghazi or anything else that isn't affecting them directly? After all, they think that we are "America The Invincible" and as long as it doesn't touch them, it doesn't matter what the deleted by admin

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                          OK, OK... But some of those had no impact in my life, or at wasn't a big deal to me...

In either case, I was being hyperbolic and making fun of the extreme reactions people have had. Hostess and Twinkie was Googled more than Gaza in the past few days...
                          Last edited by Black wallnut; 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Really? The space Shuttle had no impact on your life as a citizen? Our space program in my opinion has provided more benefits for us as a society than any other single innovation in the last 100 years.

I'll leave it to the dear readers to decide why or why not this is so. Each person has different ideas, but without our space program we wouldn't have that cute white tape we put around pipe fittings. Better yet, we wouldn't have PVC plumbing pipe. We wouldn't have cell phones, micro computers, desk top computers or the internet, (although Al Gore still says he invented it).
                            The first computer, was a mechanical one, that the Greeks invented. They only figured out what it was in the last few decades. Space played a part in computers, but it certainly wasn't the only thing (they could have still developed). Same way with the internet (Darpa could have just as easily decided to decentralize coms, so bombers couldn't wipe them out if missles hadn't been brought back from Germany with people like a friends grandfather).

The way I read the posters reasoning, is he could go buy them his who life. He couldn't go out and buy or ride in a space shuttle,
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Dal300
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2011
                              • East Central Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

If we go back a bit farther, the first computer was some guy/gal thinking: ugh, ugh ugh, ugh ugh ugh. A meat computer!
                              I never said that space played the only part in computers, just that it was the one major piece that catapulted society into looking for easier, smaller, faster, more powerful systems.
                              How would your present cell phone stack up against the Burroughs 205 or Burroughs B-55000?
                              The space program set all kinds of innovative thinking in motion.

The OP's statement, " But some of those had no impact in my life, or at wasn't a big deal to me..." just go to show how taken for granted innovations in our lifetime have become.

Just remember, on D-Day, a portable home radio wasn't transistorized and weighed in about 10 lbs, took a dozen D cells and would play for about an hour.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              The first computer, was a mechanical one, that the Greeks invented. They only figured out what it was in the last few decades. Space played a part in computers, but it certainly wasn't the only thing (they could have still developed). Same way with the internet (Darpa could have just as easily decided to decentralize coms, so bombers couldn't wipe them out if missles hadn't been brought back from Germany with people like a friends grandfather).

The way I read the posters reasoning, is he could go buy them his who life. He couldn't go out and buy or ride in a space shuttle,

Comment

• Brian G
                                • Jun 2003
                                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                                • G0899

I think you're being a little harsh on BigguyZ. He said "some." He didn't specifically say the space shuttle had no affect.

I can safely say that the demise of the whale-bone corset had no influence on me.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...