• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Wiring question

I want to add some wiring to our Sunroom. It would consist of 2 recessed light fixtures, a switch to control them and 2 recepticals for plugging small appliances during holiday parties. It looks like the house (built in 82) was wired with 12-2 with a ground wire, Can I safely run some 14-2 with ground wire for the new wiring? I have plenty of 14-2 around but would have go buy about 50ft. of 12-2. Did some wiring in the kitchen remodel last year and use the 12-2.

Thanks

Tom
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not an electrician but an engineer. Normally 12 ga wire is used with 20A branch circuits, 14 ga wire with 15A circuits.

if your room has 12 ga wire it probably has a 20A breaker. You can only use the 14 ga to extend wiring if you are using a 15A breaker. If you don't want to buy new wire, and want to use the 14 ga, you must make sure that the branch circuit breaker is a 15A or change it from 20A to 15A. Its OK to use 12 ga. wire with 15A circuit.

If you have to buy a new breaker its almost better to buy the 12 ga wire instead for not much more money, you will get more power capacity. Depends on how much you expect to be running on this line.
    12 ga probably runs about a $1 per foot and a breaker would cost maybe $10-20.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by TB Roye
      I want to add some wiring to our Sunroom. It would consist of 2 recessed light fixtures, a switch to control them and 2 recepticals for plugging small appliances during holiday parties. It looks like the house (built in 82) was wired with 12-2 with a ground wire, Can I safely run some 14-2 with ground wire for the new wiring? I have plenty of 14-2 around but would have go buy about 50ft. of 12-2. Did some wiring in the kitchen remodel last year and use the 12-2.

Thanks

Tom
      It might be worthwhile to have an electrician look at what you have...its condition, and make suggestions as to what to do. You sure don't want a fire, or to electrocute yourself. I've done my share of electrical work, and even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but not being an electrician, I wouldn't tell you what to use or how to do it.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Loring

Thanks for the reply. That clears up my questions. Think I will go get the 12-2 to be consistent with the rest of the house. Most of the circuts are 15 amp but will have to go look at the box to see what this one is. When the sunroom was added on it was place on a speprate circut with just a ceiling fan one out let and a outside light and I belive on a 20amp breaker. So I think it will be safe to add onto that circuit using the 12-2. Still have go up into the attic and climb over the trusses and ducting and at 70 years old it isn't that easy anymore. One good thing it is cooler so it shouldn't bee to bad.

Tom

Comment

Working...