• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not wood, more like anti-wood Home, but interesting

This man wanted a house that could stand winds and hurricanes and be environmentally friendly.

It can stand 600 mph winds, acceleration forces to 7 Gs, storms, and uses no wood and is made entirely of recycled materials. The insulation will keep the inside comfortable when its -50C outside.

The man took a retired and scrapped Boeing 727 and made it into a house. Read the story.

http://www.airplanehome.com/
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It seems it's not all that uncommon. I remembered a posting in the past that I thought was the same, but it was a different plane, but still a 727.
    http://www.youlivewhere.com/airplane-homes-a-new-trend/
    They must make the best homes.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Nice and certainly A+ for recycling. Space planning kinda gets a workout when all you have is one long hallway
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Those are pretty cool. I think 8 or 10 shipping containers might give you more design possibilities, but there is a lot that can be done with a straight shot open floor plan. Consider Air Force One. Looks pretty stylish to me.

Most structures do pretty well with fair winds around 100 to maybe 140 mph in gusts.
        It's when these structures get hit or penetrated by flying debris or storm surge that they start failing. Their failure adds to debris and effects surrounding structures. Pretty much a domino effect.

I doubt a few penetrations would effect the plane as bad as it would a typical construction home, but storm surge would tear it from it's moorings easily enough. With a Plane plan home, location would be everything.
        Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Stytooner

Most structures do pretty well with fair winds around 100 to maybe 140 mph in gusts.
          That's got me thinking, considering the exterior design, I wonder if there are critical decisions made as to the physical orientation of the plane when placing it in it's position. Stuff like wind direction.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
            Those are pretty cool. I think 8 or 10 shipping containers might give you more design possibilities, but there is a lot that can be done with a straight shot open floor plan. Consider Air Force One. Looks pretty stylish to me.

It's when these structures get hit or penetrated by flying debris or storm surge that they start failing. Their failure adds to debris and effects surrounding structures. Pretty much a domino effect.

I doubt a few penetrations would effect the plane as bad as it would a typical construction home, but storm surge would tear it from it's moorings easily enough. With a Plane plan home, location would be everything.
            eight or ten shipping containers don't have built-in insulation, plumbing, windows, and HVAC ducting. Nor are they air tight and have a large continuous open area. Or a built-in patio (wings). Or a cockpit with a 270 panoramic degree view to use as your personal work/reading/meditiation lounge. Something to consider...
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I don't know the dimensions, but a 727 may have a wider interior than a container.

Comment

Working...