• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I just grabbed my latest HF flyer, Issue 8131, Sept. 2012 Issue, and that items is indeed on regular sale for $39.99. Therefore, it should qualify for the extra 20% off for a pre-tax net of $31.99. New store, new employees and a new manager, have them reach both hands behind their back and see if they can find their...................

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I just got off the phone with HF. I had to go through "orders" to get a live person, who transferred me to a "live" customer service person, - who transferred me to another and then a last transfer to one who would try to help me.

One person read the coupon as ANYTHING on sale would not apply; the last one "hinted" (as in "should be") that the normal sale items that are both online and in store, should be eligible for the 20%. But she would have to check and let me know. I told her that all of the stores that I go to in TX, AR, MO, TN, and MS all allow the 20% on normal sale items.

She is going to check and get back with me - hopefully. Otherwise, I will go 20 miles further to the Summer Ave store in Memphis.

We did discuss that this was not for excluded items or where there was a coupon for an individual item on special sale.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

For everyone: should the 20% coupon apply to the above, in your opinion?
        No - the coupon says "Cannot be used with other discounts" and a sale is an "other discount". Some stores will sometimes let it go, but the policy says that the 20% coupon is not valid on sale items.

What they do in this area, if you want to use the 20% on a sale item, is to charge the regular price rather than the sale price and then apply the 20% discount.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

"Cannot be used with other discounts"

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If HF looked at it that way, then absolutely nothing would ever apply. EVERYTHING at Harbour Freight is "discounted" according to their advertised "Regular Price" (which they never sell at).

Personally, I think this whole thing is a misunderstanding by the employees. It's a sad state of affairs when you call HQ and you can't get a definitive answer.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

HF store won't to honor their 20% coupons

They are fast getting on my short list of places to buy anything like their "tools".
            I have a multi tool that quit running and I took it back to HF, their first question
            was "do you have the original receipt?" my answer ....NO, that was over 2 or 3 years ago, second question, "did you purchase the extended warranty?" No, I don't think so, why would I do that for a $30 tool? it wasn't worth the extra money. They said, " we can't do anything for you", I said ok,left the other items that I was intending on buying sitting on the counter and walked out the door
            with the broken POS multi tool. Moral to story, I took the tool home and opened it up, found a broken wire inside that connects to the on/off switch,
            re-soldered it to the switch, re-assembled the tool and plugged it in...now it works fine....to heck with HF!

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Just a quick point, seeing that you mentioned the receipt. My wife was going through some HF receipts last evening and she noticed a couple had significantly faded.

Seeing that the local store is not yet two years old, I suspect that it won't be long before all the "receipt" that I'll have will be just a blank piece of paper.

Guess I've got to start scanning those in... but isn't the power tool warranty only something like 90-days?

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

It seems the 20% coupons acceptance policy varies by store. Both of my compressors were on sale and I was able to use the coupon...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
                  It seems the 20% coupons acceptance policy varies by store. Both of my compressors were on sale and I was able to use the coupon...
                  Can't blame them really. It's right there in fine print. The coupons are mainly to get you to the store to buy something with the hopes you buy something else.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    Can't blame them really. It's right there in fine print. The coupons are mainly to get you to the store to buy something with the hopes you buy something else.

Not exactly 100% true.
                    • Their policy started with 20% on the total purchase of everything.
                    •Then they changed the policy to 20% 1. with exclusions, and 2 on special sale items and couponed items - which was set as a store policy nationwide. THAT 20% with exclusions did NOT exclude normal sale items.
                    •Then a few stores (evidently) including the one mentioned in the OP has begun to interpret that to ANY sale item without the changing of wording.

What this progression of change without the change of words brings up - is what causes law suites with some companies and people. When wording is somewhat vague in its description in conjuction as to the way the policy is implemented and allowed to continue, law usually weighs in on the side of the tradition that was started as the "interpretation."

"Precedent" with customers in this case was that company and store policy did NOT exclude normal sale items. Side with the "strict" interpretation and you are changing long standing policy with your customer base without changing wording. It is not unprecedented for the "meaning" of words "legally" to be determined by the manner in which they are and have been implemented.

Penneys just changed their "policy" on sale items and lost big time! Harbor freight will lose my business to a series of stores on the big items. This prices them along beside other companies without an improvement of quality.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Not exactly 100% true.
                      • Their policy started with 20% on the total purchase of everything.
                      •Then they changed the policy to 20% 1. with exclusions, and 2 on special sale items and couponed items - which was set as a store policy nationwide. THAT 20% with exclusions did NOT exclude normal sale items.
                      •Then a few stores (evidently) including the one mentioned in the OP has begun to interpret that to ANY sale item without the changing of wording.

What this progression of change without the change of words brings up - is what causes law suites with some companies and people. When wording is somewhat vague in its description in conjuction as to the way the policy is implemented and allowed to continue, law usually weighs in on the side of the tradition that was started as the "interpretation."

"Precedent" with customers in this case was that company and store policy did NOT exclude normal sale items. Side with the "strict" interpretation and you are changing long standing policy with your customer base without changing wording. It is not unprecedented for the "meaning" of words "legally" to be determined by the manner in which they are and have been implemented.

Penneys just changed their "policy" on sale items and lost big time! Harbor freight will lose my business to a series of stores on the big items. This prices them along beside other companies without an improvement of quality.
                      Maybe I should get out more. I don't remember a 20% on total purchase, but a 20% on a single item. I had the discussion with one of the store managers about getting the discount with an item coupon as it was priced. That was an exclusion.

The wording on an ad sheet doesn't seem to need interpretation, as it's written with parameters, like dates or store availability, and has item descriptions for that particular sale. I remember they used to give away those tiny flashlights with just a coupon. Then they changed the ad to be "free" with any purchase. Then they changed the ad to read "free" with any minimum purchase of $9.99. In that case it's the fine print.

What I really object to are ads that are deceiving. For example, the car ads on TV, showing the monthly payment, and below is the print in itsy bitsy letters (too small to read) and on the screen for only a second, revealing how many thousands of dollars is needed up front.

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by eezlock
                        They are fast getting on my short list of places to buy anything like their "tools".
                        I have a multi tool that quit running and I took it back to HF, their first question
                        was "do you have the original receipt?" my answer ....NO, that was over 2 or 3 years ago, second question, "did you purchase the extended warranty?" No, I don't think so, why would I do that for a $30 tool? it wasn't worth the extra money. They said, " we can't do anything for you", I said ok,left the other items that I was intending on buying sitting on the counter and walked out the door
                        with the broken POS multi tool. Moral to story, I took the tool home and opened it up, found a broken wire inside that connects to the on/off switch,
                        re-soldered it to the switch, re-assembled the tool and plugged it in...now it works fine....to heck with HF!
                        You're kidding right? You're all upset about a 2 to 3 year old $30 tool that had a wire come loose. At $30 and so far 2 to 3 years worth of service with more to come, I'd say that multi-tool has been a good purchase so far.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

I've taken tools back without a receipt, and received an exchange...no argument.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

I'm wondering what other stores you go to that you would expect to replace a 2-3 year old tool without receipt or warranty on.
                            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

When wording is somewhat vague in its description
                              That seems to be the primary issue - that the "fine print" is not clear and can be interpreted in different ways. For example, some stores consider a sale a "discount" while others do not.

Seems like they should make the wording on the coupons clear so that all stores can understand and apply the policy consistently.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• phrog
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2005
                                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

From all the replies on this thread, it seems to me like the central office needs a clarification on the nationwide policy. But then again, maybe that would hurt local business and they are intentionally not clarifying.
                                Richard

Comment

Working...