• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Lamello magic dowels

This kit contains Invis Mx2 connectors and a Rasto drill jig. Invis is a totally invisible connector that can be taken apart and reconnected to give a very s...
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

IKEA just crapped their pantsuit.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by cocheseuga
      ikea just crapped their pantsuit.
      I am officially LMAO !!!
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, nice

I wonder how these things will perform in real life scenario's of mass produced parts with loose tolerances and perhaps parts that just don't line up properly. Will that magnet be able to induce enough of a field to transfer adequate torque? I saw the graph they included, but it makes me wonder a bit.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

basically its a magnetic slip clutch.
          You won't know when it tightens up.
          And, the loosening torque is the same as the tightening torque. What if it freezes a little or there's some corrosion or whatever, you can't break the joint loose.

And of course, that presumes you remember where all the fasteners are a couple of years after you made the thing... there's no hint of where they are so forget the location of one and you'll destroy the thing to take it apart, about the same as dowels but a lot more costly.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It'll be quite a while before mechanical KD fasteners get phased out.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

It is a very cool idea. You could have a screw right through the front of the cabinet that would lock this device in place and eliminate just about all of Loring's issues with it.

Sure, you would see screws, but you would be able to make sure it wouldn't loosen up on it's own or get lost in time.
              Lee

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

They used this on an episode of TOH a few years back to assemble a segmented stair handrail.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

And that is exactly where you do no need an unproven fastener.
                  Lee

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Looks expensive. And I wouldn't trust it to come apart after some years or under load. Even if you remember where they are (good point Loring, as usual!). But cool nonetheless!

Comment

• Warren
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Anchorage, Ak
                      • BT3000

As Jussi noted this fastening has been around for years and is proven.

I do not build that much furniture any longer, but if I did I might give it a try.

As far as locating the fastening after assembly, the locations would be on the plans, filed in the cabinet in my shop. Not that big a deal I think. Of course all of you guys that are very visual and work from plans in your head would need to adapt.

The locations could also be marked on the inside of most joints where they wouldn't be seen. Newels and posts, table and chair legs are easier as they are in the middle of the piece in probably 99% of most builds and mostly likely wouldn't need to be marked. Desks top joints could be marked on the underside. I just do not see a down side other than its another tool and fastener for the shop that doesn't seem to be any better solution to joinery than plate jointing, wood dowels and the like. And it'd easier to disassemble than joints that have been glued.

Of course you craftsmen will never give up your hand made joinery. I envy the talent and patience of those of you who can lay out a dovetail, cut and assemble a joint that is not only functional but also a visual statement of your craft.
                      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by Warren
                        Of course you craftsmen will never give up your hand made joinery. I envy the talent and patience of those of you who can lay out a dovetail, cut and assemble a joint that is not only functional but also a visual statement of your craft.
                        That's what helps make it satisfying. All it takes is practice, and the right tools.

Comment

Working...