• Show
Clear All
  • Mildoc
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Copperas Cove TX
    • BT

120/240V question

Getting a Nordic Hot Tub that needs a dedicated line that must be installed. It can run on either:
    120V / 20A or 240V / 50A.

1. Why is the amperage needed for 240V so much higher?
    2. Which would be the best line to run, with lower elec. bills?
    3. If a 240V line pulls the full (or close to) 50A, wouldn't that be more expensive to run?
    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

One of those amperages must be incorrect. There should be only a small difference in total watts (volts times amperes).

usually the 120V amperage figure is twice the 240V amperage figure.
    The economic consideration is that you'll need two breakers for 240V but you can use smaller (less costly wire).

You should get the correct values from the manufacturer before making a decision.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Many hot tubs are available with different sized heater units. For 120 volt operation they usually come with a small heater; for 240 volt operation the heater is often 4 times stronger... ergo twice as many amps even with twice the working voltage.

With the 240/50 setup the tub will be able to heat up more quickly. Values I've seen (including my own unit) are roughly 3 degrees temp increase/hour for the 240/50 units on large (10+ person) tubs. For 120 volt setups it can take much longer to heat up or recover after "topping off" the water level. Since the circulation pumps must run whenever the heater is running a larger heater can actually be more efficient: heat the water faster = less pump run time.

See if Nordic's web site lists the heater wattage/KW... I'll bet you see something like "Heater KW (120/240): 1/4" which is 1 kilowatt heater for 120 volt installations, 4 kilowatts on 240 volt installations.

mpc

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

My suggestion would be to have a licensed electrician make an on site assessment, so your existing electrical can be evaluated with respect to your new project and its requirements.

Comment

• Mildoc
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Copperas Cove TX
          • BT

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          One of those amperages must be incorrect. There should be only a small difference in total watts (volts times amperes).
          That's what I thought, but 220/50 is listed for all their spas in the brochure.

You should get the correct values from the manufacturer before making a decision.
          Plan to. Going tomorrow 2PM for their sale that will save us $1900.

Comment

• Mildoc
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Copperas Cove TX
            • BT

Originally posted by cabinetman
            My suggestion would be to have a licensed electrician make an on site assessment, so your existing electrical can be evaluated with respect to your new project and its requirements.

Already done, but we do not have the HT yet. When the electrician looked at the brochure, he was the one that pointed out the possible discrepancy.
            Last edited by Mildoc; 09-12-2012, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Mildoc
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Copperas Cove TX
              • BT

Originally posted by mpc
              With the 240/50 setup the tub will be able to heat up more quickly. ....Since the circulation pumps must run whenever the heater is running a larger heater can actually be more efficient: heat the water faster = less pump run time.
              Yes, I know a 220V line can be more efficient because the water will heat faster, etc. Did not know about the circulating pump.

Originally posted by mpc
              See if Nordic's web site lists the heater wattage/KW... I'll bet you see something like "Heater KW (120/240): 1/4" which is 1 kilowatt heater for 120 volt installations, 4 kilowatts on 240 volt installations.mpc
              Plan to ask a lot of questions tomorrow and check the data plate on the unit.

But I still don't get why a 120V line requires 20A while a 240V line needs 50A.

Comment

• Mildoc
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Copperas Cove TX
                • BT

Just checked the Nordic web sit. It says:

VOLTS: 120/20 or 240/50
                Amps: 50

So I guess that means the 240V would be the best overall, as the 120V would not only run longer, but perhaps use MORE electricity to run the heater, circulating pump, light?

Electrician says he would need to run 8 gauge wire for a 240/50 line. Correct???

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

i was assuming it could be wired to run either in a configuration like motors where you either series or parallel the windings, or in the case of a heater, the heater elements to keep constant power.

If in fact, the high voltage is set with the same heater elements and no reconfiguration, the same heaters (assuming they're rated for the higher power) would pull twice the current and four times the heating power. in which case 50A might be the correct rating (the not being 40 due to increased motor current from increased pump rate or maybe 40 is not a standard breaker?)
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

The other consideration between the two is the initial cost of materials. The 220 will likely be about 4 times the cost. Just been running some wiring in my new shop and have several 220 circuits. It sure does hurt when you have to buy those plugs and receptacles.
                    Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

The economic consideration is that you'll need two breakers for 240V but you can use smaller (less costly wire).
                      Just to clarify, two breakers ganged together - also called a double pole breaker.

I know that is what you meant, just expanding for less technical readers.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Mildoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Copperas Cove TX
                        • BT

Turned out that with a 110V line you could not operate jets & heat together. So, despite the cost, had a 220/50 line installed for $695. Oh well..... Saved $2400 on the tub itself so we're still ahead!

BTW, LOVE IT!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • westchester cnty, ny

nothing like it up here in NY when it snows.
                          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Mildoc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Copperas Cove TX
                            • BT

When I first mentioned getting a hot tub LOML said "You'll never use it."

Guess who has been in it every single night?

Still don't know what temp. I really like. Started at 95F and have been upping it 1 degree every 2 days or so. Now at 98F. Guess we'll see, and I bet it will be 104F in the winter!

Comment

Working...