• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

HVAC Motor Replacement Work

Yesterday we came home and it was 85 in the house and discovered that the blower motor crap out on my furnace. My neighbor two houses down is a commercial HVAC guy and said that he can check it out and replace it for me. He did spend almost 30 mins last night to make sure nothing else was wrong. This morning he stopped by with a new motor and installed it. He bought the motor at Grainger this morning and he gave me the receipt $90 plus. After installing it and confirming that everything worked, I asked him how much in total do i owe him and he said "whatever you want to give to me." I don't know what it would have cost if I hired somebody else. I handed him $200.00 cash and asked him if that is enough and he said "yes." I told him to let me know if what I gave him is not enough because I want to make sure that if something else happen in the future that I can still go to him.

Was $200.00 enough? Or, should I have given him more? Greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks,
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would guess that's reasonable. parts at 90 leaves $110. If he worked for an 2 hours that's $55 per hour, if he worked for an hour and a half that's $75/hour... reasonable for a skilled tradesman.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

That was a nice gesture on his part. He picked up the motor, and showed you the receipt. Sounds like you have an honest neighbor. Sounds about right for a fan motor. Its convenient having him so close. I would invite him to your next barbeque.

Comment

• All Thumbs
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Penn Hills, PA
        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I believe $200 was fair. I doubt he will hesitate to help you again.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Parts times two is an off the cuff measurement for small jobs that I have used in the past, it obviously depends on what your doing (doesn't work on labor intensive things like drywall or paint).
          I think $200 was a good deal for the work done. It was off the books so he kept all that he made.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

seems fair to me. The other break you got was on the price of the motor. My son replaced his own motor on the fan on the compressor this year. He figured out what he needed with some help by phone from a friend (who gets car help from Tom) and then went to get it. The problem is the supply place would only sell parts to licensed technicians. Fortunately, another guy standing there bought it for Tom who paid him back. My point is you couldn't easily have received the motor for that price, at least if it works where you live like it works where my son and I live.

Jim

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
              Was $200.00 enough? Or, should I have given him more? Greatly appreciate any info.
              Nope, nowhere near enough.

I'd say a 12-pack would be necessary to set things right. You could drink a couple of them, too, just to make you both feel better about the whole thing.

JR
              JR

Comment

Working...