X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

What would you do? Question about materials

Hi, I have a question I'd love some opinions on.

I've been asked to build a couple of chaise lounge chairs for my sister-in-law and family. They've seen the one that I build and asked for 2. The plans are simple enough and I'm not worried about the building, but I am kind of stuck on materials.

The deck lounger I built is out of cedar and was stained with a nice cedar toner oil-based stain. It looks great and obviously caught someone's eye. My struggle is that the recipients of these gifts/projects know nothing about wood care or exterior finish. Maintenance is not their thing in general. For example, they blew up a car engine because they didn't keep an eye on the oil levels. They landscaped their yard with the goal of only having to use a weedeater. I'm not criticizing here, just trying to give info.

So, my question is, knowing that these chairs will most likely be outside in a frozen north climate year round and have little or no preventative maintenance done to them, what would you build them out of? I know they like the look of cedar, but most likely won't take care of it and it will gray and weather quickly. Pressure-treated isn't my favorite for furniture that might have bare skin contact. Another option is pine and paint, but again, maintenance. I really don't want to go with any exotic woods like teak or others due to cost.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda stumped on this one. No wrong answers here, just thoughts. Thanks
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I'm not much on maintenance either. My outdoor furniture is pressure treated painted white. The paint needs redone after 5+ years but the furniture is holding up well.

I also don't think there is much risk from PT once it is dry. So if they let the paint fall off, like mine has started to, I don't think it will hurt them.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

cedar left natural will last 10-20 years.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

There are several species that weather well, and since you've already used Cedar and are familiar with it, that's what I would go with. At a minimum of finish, an oil type application would be the simplest to use and maintain. I would use Penofin, and explain that the maintenance is easy, just a cleaning and reapplication, if they are motivated.

Comment

• jdon
          Established Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Snoqualmie, Wash.
          • BT3100

Why not start by asking your SIL what she mostly likes about your chair: how it looks, or how comfortable it is?

If it's the looks, make her aware of the need for upkeep. OTOH, if it's the design (comfort) she likes, lean toward low maintenance materials.

If she really avoids maintenance, dare I suggest- if consistent with the design- composite decking material. While woodworkers would gag at the notion, for her it might be ideal- each to his/her own taste.

Finally, you could take the cosmic view that if you build a beautiful chair that is destroyed through neglect, if it is truly a gift she should be able to do (or not do) whatever she wants with it, despite your gnashing of teeth. It might be the last such gift she gets from you, though.

Just saying...

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

I'm with jdon... the first thing that popped into my head when you said they don't maintain anything was - use a block of plastic.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crybdr
              Established Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Lake Mills, WI
              • Ryobi BT3100

It's probably cost-prohibitive, but I know that white-oak promises to do well outside. It will be my next wood for my new adirondack chairs. But, I have no real experience with white-oak in a real world weathering situation...so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Here's the summary of physical characteristics from Wikipedia:

"White oak has tyloses that give the wood a closed cellular structure, making it water- and rot-resistant. Because of this characteristic, white oak is used for barrels for wine and whiskey production since it resists leaking. It has also been used in construction, shipbuilding, cooperage, agricultural implements, and in the interior finishing of houses.'

My bedroom furniture is made from white-oak, not for weather resistance....it's what my wood-monger had on hand at the time I needed to buy all of the wood - mostly 4/4 and some 8/4. His price was the same, and I would have a hard time differentiating 'white' from 'red' in oak's rough cut form - it seemed to work and finish similarly.

For what it's worth - the 'pine' adirondacks I built 8 years ago (before I had any real wood-milling tools) have actually done pretty well here in the Madison, WI weather - out in the snow and everything (painted with outdoor trim paint). Other than re-painting them once or twice, they still look pretty good. The only 2 joints that have failed were the lap joints (where the arms connect to the back rail, the weakest part of the plans I used), originally only held by glue. I've since screwed and pinned them - and they hold up great. But yes, I've had to pay attention to the chairs to keep them in working order.

Like others have said, I would think that cedar would work fine for your goals. Avoid any 'glue only' joints. If you can find a really nice finish (GF Outdoor Oil?), that may help you extend the natural longevity of the cedar a little longer.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...