Patriot Guard Riders

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • 10490
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

    #1

    Patriot Guard Riders

    For those who don't know, the PGR was formed in Kansas in 2005 by a handfull of vetreans that wanted to legally block the Westbrook Baptist Church from bothering the families of fallen soldiers. For fear of crossing political/religous lines, I won't elaborate on that organization.

    As I posted in the 4th of July thread, my holiday afternoon was spent with the PGR on a recovery mission to escort LtCol Roy Tisdale from Austin's Bergstram Airport to his final resting place in College Station.

    With the short notice of about 20 hours, coupled with the miassion falling on a holiday the concern was that many of the PGR members would be locked into family plans and participation would be low. Only 3 of us posted on the Austin PGR website that we would be in attendance.

    Evidently a lot of plans got cancelled at the last moment. Fifty motorcycles and 3 cages showed up at the airport to escort the LtCol to the halfway point in Dimebox, TX. (Not including the law enforcement escort)There we met up with about an equal representation from the East Texas PGR chapter who assumed the escort duties for the last half of the trip. About 10 members from Austin continued for the entire trip.

    The pictures are of the staging area just before we moved to the tarmac to meet the plane. Sorry about the quality. The heat and humidity blurred part of the lens on my cell phone.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt Col Tisdale 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	797935

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt Col Tisdale 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	797936
    Don, aka Pappy,

    Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • 9560
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    Thank you for your volunteer duty. You will not run afoul of the religion or politics issue discussing them with me. I consider Westboro "Baptist Church" a hate group, every bit as much as the KKK or the New / Black Panthers.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

    Comment

    • Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 1988

      #3
      I had not heard of PGR, but I have heard of those other turds. That's a great cause you've gotten into.
      I have a little blog about my shop

      Comment

      • cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • 15216
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

        #4
        That was a good turnout. It's unfortunate that there is a need for that sort of protection.

        .

        Comment

        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • 9560
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

          #5
          Oh crap. I didn't recognize the name at first. I knew that guy. Not well, but I knew him. He was good friends with a friend of mine from College, and just a hair younger than me!

          Son of a (deleted)...

          I have apparently been out of the loop news wise this week. No wonder why my friend has been out of the loop... He was supposed to pick up that strong tie workbench earlier...

          Weird how these things connect... My prayers are certainly going out for the family, his widow, and their kids... To say the least, this sucks.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

          Comment

          • tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 2334

            #6
            Pretty Cool ya'll doing that Pappy, I wish I knew what was going on in that other groups mind to do such a thing, must be sinners all

            Comment

            • jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • 2638
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

              #7
              Pappy, thanks for looking after a fallen soldier.

              Whenever I hear the Westbrook Baptist Church mentioned I have to peel myself off the ceiling and take a handful of tranquilizers to calm down. Maybe they should move to a place where fanatics are more welcome than they are here.

              Comment

              • durango dude
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 937
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

                #8
                Pappy - thank you for your service ----- in uniform and out.

                Comment

                • phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 1796
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

                  #9
                  I hope this does not cross religious lines, but it should be noted that the Westboro Baptist Church is not affiliated in any way with any other Baptist church or any truly religious organization.
                  Richard

                  Comment

                  • Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 1988

                    #10
                    Originally posted by jackellis
                    Pappy, thanks for looking after a fallen soldier.

                    Whenever I hear the Westbrook Baptist Church mentioned I have to peel myself off the ceiling and take a handful of tranquilizers to calm down. Maybe they should move to a place where fanatics are more welcome than they are here.
                    In a perverse irony, the funerals they protest play a large part in why they're allowed to do it.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

                    Comment

                    • RAFlorida
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 1179
                      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                      • Ryobi BT3000

                      #11
                      Thank you Don for doing such

                      an honorable ride for one of our fallen protectors. When you come in contact with other members, tell them thank you for us.
                      The fallout from that so called religious group has stunk up the air in many a cities/locations.
                      LtCol Roy Tisdale served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. R.I.P. sir

                      Comment

                      • LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 4890
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

                        #12
                        Being this close to where the group is out of, I have heard some stuff that I am going to avoid posting. (we don't need the firestorm)
                        That said, we think this group stopped by my work, on the way back from the bosses niece's, (not sure if it was husband or fiance)'s funeral. (Iowa) Due to what we know of the group, we ignored what they were and treated them as a regular customer, as they WANT the attention.

                        That said, your group provided the needed blockade from the group at the funeral, and for that, I am very grateful.

                        Thank you!
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

                        Comment

                        • BobSch
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 4385
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          Originally posted by jackellis
                          Pappy, thanks for looking after a fallen soldier.

                          Maybe they should move to a place where fanatics are more welcome than they are here.
                          I can think of a good place. Assuming Old Nick want's to be associated with such scum.
                          Bob

                          Bad decisions make good stories.

                          Comment

                          Working...