• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I purchased a couple of solar panel chargers back in 2004 to use on my lawn tractor and on my '95 Ranger. (I was overseas and the 11 months a year un-use killed the batteries quickly before that.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt...ger-62449.html

I replaced the Ranger's 12 volt battery in 2014 and the lawn tractor's 12 volt in April/May of this year. 10 years for one and 11 years for the other. I don't know how much actual usage counts, but I used both regularly between the summer of 2005 to summer of 2006 when I was home on furlough, and I began to use them regularly again when I came home permanently in December of 2010.

So the actual full time usage for both batteries were: 4 1/2 years for my Ranger and 5 1/2 years for the lawn tractor. Still, the life of the batteries were 10 and 11 years.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

This seems to have been a simple case of battery failure but getting the charging system checked out is still a good idea. A problem in the system could have contributed to the battery going bad. Unless it is a sealed system, the battery fluid level needs to be checked and kept properly topped off with distilled water.

Motorcycle batteries generally carry a warranty of 6 months to 1 year even though they can cost more that the average auto battery. Since a lot of bikes are recreational use and sit for extended periods, the batteries drain down a lot. The use of a float type charger like Hank talked about maintains the battery at or near full charge and extends its life. I normally get 5 or more years out of mine by using a 'Battery Tender Jr.' when it is going to be sitting for long. I keep a plug in connecter wired to the battery and accessible under the right side cover.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I had a rash of,battery failures about 3 years ago. They cranked and worked fine and gave not symptoms of problems and for no apparent reason the were just dead. The were assorted brands, and I replaced them with Autozone batteries. The store that was a convenient to me sells a lot of batteries so they fresh ones available.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I've bought several Walmart batteries based upon price, availability, and warranty. Haven't had any real long yet. Since my first post on this thread, I've purchased a HF battery tester:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...9888-9193.html

The nice part is it tests under load. It will throw a 100A load against the battery - for a few seconds - and reads the voltage. It doesn't actually give you volts, however, it tells you cold cranking amps. It is just a voltage meter but with a scale on it that makes it easy to tell what is going on. It will tell you if the alternator is working and can be used to get a read on the starter. Pretty good for about $20.

But the simple "will it take a charge" is still a good first step.

Comment

Working...