X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I will say that the battery testers can't always see a dead cell. Took three times over three days for them to finally see the dead cell in my last battery and replace it under warranty.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Battery. Called roadside assistance from progressive insurance and a guy was at my house in 5min. Jump worked and he recommended i get a new battery although his meter said it was ok. I really wish i had bought his battery for $130. Got to costco, bought new battery and car wontstart. Try to change battery but only brought pliers and not socket set. Can get th leads off but battery is trapped under a bar. Wife is coming to give me a jump. Not the way i envisioned my day off
      A battery that won't start can still show a charge. My last "bad" battery was just like that. Could be a bad cell. About the starter, I have had good luck with them considering how many vehicles I've had. I can also remember banging on one with a hammer.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Battery is replaced! Took all of 5 minutes once I got home and had my socket set at the ready. I think I'm going to have to outfit each car with its own set now.

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

I'd still recommend taking the battery in someplace to have it tested. If you have something in the electrical system draining the battery or a bad alternator the new battery will only work short term. Many places will test the battery at no charge. It sounds like it was the battery, but, I'd get the old one checked to be sure.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I put a tool roll with leftovers in it in my SUV >5 years ago. My only cost was for the tool roll, maybe $10. When I bought my convertible, I bought another tool roll and went to Harbor Freight and filled it up. Socket set, ratchets, extensions, screwdriver, pliers. Basic stuff. Cost maybe $50. I just hate it when I need something and I don't have it. The nice thing about the roll is things don't rattle around and it takes up less space than a tool box.

Jim

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Even a battery close to dead will meter at 12-Volts. A good battery will show almost 14 Volts (13.8 V)... but, that doesn't necessarily mean it will take a load.

I too will recommend taking it somewhere to have the electrical system checked. That way you will be assured that things are what they should be.

Regarding "tools"... I carry a set of basic sockets, box/open end, screwdrivers, etc. in both cars. Nothing worse than being "stuck" someplace and having not even the basic tools.

(I once owned an MGB, which taught me well the finer automotive arts of motoring... you don't leave the driveway without tools, oil, breakfluid, batteries, cables, and maybe even symaphore flags. )

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by cwsmith

(I once owned an MGB, which taught me well the finer automotive arts of motoring... you don't leave the driveway without tools, oil, breakfluid, batteries, cables, and maybe even symaphore flags. )

CWS
                Don't forget the firewood for smoke signals.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Invest in a HF Auto battery tester, I have one of the 100A ones that will load a battery to 100A and you can see if the voltage holds up or not.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...ter-90636.html
                  Has a scale that is calibrated for CCAs, e.g. it should read at least this much voltage for say 800 CCA when loaded to 100A (press and hold momentary button to load it) You can tell when your battery starts getting weak before it leaves you stranded.

next time you're in a HF and have a 20% coupon to burn... only $25 right now.

Reminds me, I should check my batteries...
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Based on the fact that it tried to turn over at first and then only clicked, my money was on the battery. Starter problems are usually the solenoid and you will get clicking until it finds a good spot on the contacts, at least on GM and Chrysler products with the solenoid mounted on the top of the starter, then it will start fine.

I have extended the life of several GM solenoids by rotating the positive contact 90 degrees.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I too will recommend taking it somewhere to have the electrical system checked. That way you will be assured that things are what they should be.
                      This had to be about the worst timing to get a new battery. We're leaving for a week long vacation tomorrow and the car with the new battery is going to sit idle. I guess if there's something wrong with the system, I'll know when I get back--or maybe even tomorrow morning. However, maybe I should just disconnect the leads and deal with it when I get back?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have about 85 car-years of experience being responsible for car maintenance between me, my wife, kids and company vehicles. Most vehicles were driven to over 100,000 miles/12 years.

All in Houston where batteries are really challenged because of the heat, seems like we replace them every 2-4 years. So probably I've replaced about 28 batteries which seems about right.

OTOH, for me, I can remember one starter failed (car was about 105,000 miles) and one alternator failed. Starter solenoids? Might have been one but I don't recall for sure.

So my experience of relative reliability of Battery:Starter:Alternator:Solenoid is like 56:2:2:1

Guess where I always start looking.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

CWS
                          That reminded me that some of the vehicles I've had required a long list of possible roadside needs. One was a Jaguar XK150, that by the time the trunk was loaded up, there wasn't much room for anything else. Oh, one requirement on some cars...forget the factory jack if there is one. A small floor jack is your best friend.

But at this stage of life, I manage to drive vehicles with factory warranties, have road service, and AAA, AARP, and whatever my car insurance package offers. I just don't leave home without my cellphone.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                            I've never had to replace a starter in any car I've owned. It's not typically a part that gets a lot of abuse or wears out quickly.
                            I think I had to replace the starter on my first car, a VW bug, but not since. I usually keep the cars 12 to 15 years and they are well into the 250K miles range by the time I am done with them

Usage could make a big difference, though, as well as design and brand. If one makes mostly short trips in the city and starts their car 20 times a day, they are more likely to have starter problems than people like me who start their car twice a day most days.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              One on an antique vehicle (71 Superbeetle).
                              That's what I had as my first car - but it didn't seem like an "antique". Of course, it was the '70's.....
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by woodturner
                                I think I had to replace the starter on my first car, a VW bug, but not since. I usually keep the cars 12 to 15 years and they are well into the 250K miles range by the time I am done with them

Usage could make a big difference, though, as well as design and brand. If one makes mostly short trips in the city and starts their car 20 times a day, they are more likely to have starter problems than people like me who start their car twice a day most days.
                                I can dig that.

Come to think of it, I do remember laying on the road reaching under the passenger side of the Beetle to short the starter. Never replaced it, though.
                                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...