X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Stupid shop tricks that make me safe

I've been spending some time lately in the shop and I got to thinking about accidents and some habits I've gotten into that I think help to keep me safe. Here are some of the habits I've gotten into that I think make me safer.

When not wearing my faceshield, I Make it a point to put it on the tool I'm going to use next so that I'm forced to pick it up before continuing and therefore end up wearing it.

No tools remained plugged in when not in use whether hand to stationery.

Anyone else care to share?

Ps. The title should have said safer, not safe
    Last edited by sailor55330; 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Standing rule. If I am operating a tool, powered or not, do not aproach my work area or distract me until I say it's ok.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Relative
      Established Member
      • Mar 2007
      • Garden Grove, CA
      • Ridgid R4512

My bandsaw has an easily removed knob for tension adjustment. When I release the tension, the knob is lifted off and placed in front of the blade. No more surprises when I turn it on next time.

Mike
      Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

No adult beverage consumption prior to starting work...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Police the area before starting and upon completion. Keeping the shop organized makes me safer and more organized in my work.
          Wear protective gear and remove anything that can get caught in a spinning blade or bit.
          Treat every object as a potentially dangerous whether it be sharp, trip hazard or miscellaneous hazards.
          THINK TWICE FIRST, THEN DO- YODA
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

If it's not a normal cut on the TS, I do a dry run even before plugging the saw in. If it doesn't feel right, I figure out another way.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I'd like to think that I'm cautious in all my shop activity... but, I'm sure that someday, I'm going to make a mistake. To that end, I'm "mentally" armed before I go in. But here are just of a few of my standard practices:

I DON'T work in the shop when I have a headache, or am under the weather.

My safety glasses sit on the DP table, which is right at the entrance, where I can't help to pick them up.

I keep my ear-muffs hanging on the RAS (which is opposite the DP) arm.

My "push stick" is kept on top of the BT3 table and all my adjustment or safety related tools are stored at the specific tool.

All of my power tools are unplugged, unless I'm going to use that specific tool; and checking that is SOP everynight before I go to bed (like checking the door locks, alarms system, etc.)

I only have a small band saw (Ryobi BS902), but I keep the door open, with the blade tension released, and the blade clamped in place (otherwise it falls off). You can't close the door, until the clamps are removed... so tension and blade are always proper before I can use this particular tool.

I always hand-turn the blade on my RAS and BT3, before I plug them in. I do the same with my DP.

I routinely clean the shop after each use and make sure everything is clear and properly arranged before each use. Last thing you need to do is stumble or slip on something that shouldn't be there.

Lights are on two separate circuits, so a tool overload or even one light overload won't leave me in the dark (maybe that's "boogyman complex" )

And like Richard (previous poster), I make it a practice of "thinking" every step through (that's my byline). You need to know all the "what if's".

CWS
              Last edited by cwsmith; 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM.
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

engage the power switch lock on the BS so i don't power up with the blade de-tensioned. unplug power tools whenever working on the blades.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Think it through before you do.... something I am now reminding myself of more often since the incident the other day. I also always had a habit of moving off to one side when starting the table saw - I remember seeing a saw blade leaving a street cutter one time...
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...