Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

3D printer?

Okay guys.
    Just checking on the interest in a 3D plastic printer.

I think they have merit an invested in a small machine called the Prusa Mendell. Pretty much open source stuff.
    I figure since I built a CNC router, mill and lathe and currently a plasma cutter, that a 3D printer would be second nature. That may not be the case though.
    All my other machines deal with subtraction. This type deals only with addition.

Totally non woodworking related, so forgive me there. Just wanting some feedback from those I know.
    Lee
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Looks like a very cool toy^e^eool! What would you be doing with it? Lte us know how it goes.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

From what I have seen, they are OK but how strong is the part that it creates. They are not far enough along for me yet. My wants are more like the replicators on Star Trek!

Do the 3D printers do different colors in its creations? What is the material? how strong is it?

I never will forget the first dot matrix printer I bought back in early '86. The fellow helping me buy one in Tokyo and the salesman kept telling me - but it has an NLQ setting. When I got home I was sooo disappointed. It was in '89 before HP came out with a 300 dpi inkjet. That was what I was expecting in '86. And it was around '95 before color inkjet printers approached my minimum expectations on photo like paper. I was never so much into speed as I was quality.

On a 3D printer, I really don't know what to expect.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jimmy0x52
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2012
        • NYC / PA
        • RIDGID Something or other

Originally posted by leehljp
        Do the 3D printers do different colors in its creations? What is the material? how strong is it?
        So most 3D printers have a single-color extruder (head that squirts the material). Make just came out with a new one that's dual-color, but most hard-core 3D printing folks think the Make stuff is toys and shouldn't be relied on. I have no firsthand experience myself.

As for the material and strength - there is different stuff but mostly it's ABS plastic (think legos). it comes out a little rough, depending on how fine your extruder head is, but light sanding can clean this up.

Note: this is all material based on my research into building a prusel mendel and not first-hand experience

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Please post your experiences when you get your 3D printer up and running. I don't have any experience/input on them, but am interested in hearing about them.
          Eric

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

There are two types of plastic that are widely used in the Hobby type printers. ABS and PLA. The second is biodegradable. It can actually be used as support material in some prints and washed away later. Two extruder heads would be needed.
            I did order a second extruder, but not to put on this first machine. I intend to make my own design later. Then both heads would be used.

There are other types of plastic that can be used.
            One guy was working out the details to use polycarbonate.
            As I suspected, it has to be dried first in order to use it correctly. It absorbs moisture out of the air like a sponge.

While I don't expect parts of these to look all that great, I want to get my feet wet with them now mainly for the personal challenge. It will be so different than my other cnc machines, hat it will provide some new head scratching moments. Use it or loose it.
            Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Oh. Here is a nice video to get a good overview on these things.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3D56IpACME
              Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                Oh. Here is a nice video to get a good overview on these things.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3D56IpACME
                WOW, they have moved light years from what I saw about 12 to 14 months ago. Polycarbonate too? That will be super. Now, I am Interested!

I can see 3D plans being available for download to make tons of stuff real soon - for those who are not creative enough to write their own 3D models!

NOW I see where you are going with this and your business!
                Last edited by leehljp; 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Apparently the pro models can do color. Recently on TOH they printed models of houses complete with wall colors etc.

Comment

• jimmy0x52
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2012
                    • NYC / PA
                    • RIDGID Something or other

Whoever gets theirs built first can start printing and selling mendel part kits to the BT3 members

Comment

• Poobah
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2010
                      • SoCal
                      • BT3100

I've got my eye on the ORD quantum at www.buildlog.net. Really more focused on building a CNC first though.

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Any of these machines can do color. You just have to stop the print and change colors if you only have one print head. I saw on Ebay where they were selling just about any color you could want in both ABS and PLA. Some colors do cost a little more though.

I like that little machine. The ORD quantum.
                        Very nice design.
                        Lee

Comment

• Poobah
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2010
                          • SoCal
                          • BT3100

Just preordered the Hadron. I like the 210x210x210 mm bed better. Was thinking of getting the Betterly ZCTP system and then printing my own blanks. Maybe I can just print my own ZCTP ... ... 210mm sides means sqrt(2)*210mm diagonal so about 300 mm. That's not enough. Anyone know the length of the diagonal inside a cube?

It's also a great deal compared to other systems I've seen so far - well, I hope it is, as it comes without the extruder and the controller and heated bed. Haven't been able to price that yet though, so well see ...
                          Last edited by Poobah; 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

If that is the bigger brother of the ORD, then yeah. Very nice. I don't see many issues with the mechanics. I notice it has the next size larger steppers. That is good. The main issue I see without building this one that I ordered is that the gantry is all held or supported with the stepper bearings alone.
                            That is not normally good practice and would be unacceptable in a cutting machine. These steppers are pretty cheap though, so if the bearings go, swap in a replacement. The larger size is a little more, but are on the bottom. Better design, I think.
                            Look forward to see more about those as well.
                            Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

Oh.
                              I received my plastic parts and electronics yesterday. I ordered Saturday Morning. Outstanding shipping performance. The plastic parts are better than I expected to see. All printed on the same type machines.
                              I had considered just milling my own parts from he files using my cnc machines. For one thing, they never get a break from production. The other is that for the price, I could not have cut these from solid plastics. Not without more outlay of time and tooling and don't forget machine time. That has become a real part of my business.

For those might wanting to venture into cnc, you can't go wrong learning on something like these.
                              Don't expect to be able to mount a router to it, but once you get the concept, it all gets hard to ignore.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...