• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Help me spend some money

i just collected a nifty sum from when I slipped and broke my ankle in the parking lot where I work. Incase you're courious, it was the building's fault. The worst plowing job I've ever seen and no sanding or salting.
    Well I collected and now my palms itch to purchase some new shop equipment.
    My wish list includes a new table saw, I have my eye or either the Rikon contractor's model (does it come with a granite top, or the Steel City clone?)
    Are there any advantages to a granite top vs. a cast one (not counting the rust problems that occur with cast).

I'm also in the market for a "real router table" and not the mickey mouse one that comes with the BT3100. Any suggestions? Is a lift really necessary or just another "Gee Wizz" useless add-on to increase the price.
    Router for table, Is the big Porter Cable worth it, and it it really necessary.

A dedicated mortising machine? and if so, whose?

And any other stuff you guys would like to see me "waste" my money on?

Keep in mind, most of my work is Jewelry boxes, and not large furniture or work requiring sheet goods.

I already own a good drill press and a 6" Rigid jointer, the Dewalt 13" three blade thickness planer and a Rikon 14" delux band saw.

Help me spend, before the wife decides to totally redecorate the house and buy new cars.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Bruce, for you especially, I would consider looking into a Saw Stop.
    When considering where the windfall sprang from and your recent battles that were lost to steel, no other tool screams "LOOK AT ME" quite as loudly as Saw Stop.
    Lee

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      I'm also in the market for a "real router table" and not the mickey mouse one that comes with the BT3100. Any suggestions? Is a lift really necessary or just another "Gee Wizz" useless add-on to increase the price.
      Router for table, Is the big Porter Cable worth it, and it it really necessary.
      I don't know about the PC brands, and yes I'd consider the BT accessory table as mickey mouse too.

A lift isn't necessary, but it sure does make life a lot easier. I think my Jessem lift I put into a router table extension for my saw is one of the best tool accessory purchases I have ever made. (the shark guard comes in first) Repeatable, accurate adjustments from the top of the table; gotta love it. I do wish my lift had a quick lift feature, not necessary but it sure would be a nice luxury.

Lee makes a pretty good point too...
      Erik

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Bruce, it's a lot of stress trying to spend money. Looking out for your well being, I'd suggest just sending it to me. Problem solved!

I could never justify the cost of buying a router lift. But I think just about all the new routers come with capabilities for adjustments from the top of the router table. Not sure just how good they are, as I've never used one of those, but I expect they're pretty good. I use a shop made lift (with an older router), but I still have to adjust it from under the table. It's not pretty, but it works. Maybe just buying a new router is one solution.

Good luck in your quest to spend money.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but IF I had the funds to upgrade equipment I would be looking at...

#1. Saw Stop 3HP PCS. Mind you, my feelings toward Gass' business methods are no secret, but I DO like his product... Make sure you get the one with the long rails...

#2. Cast iron router wing for the table saw.

#3. Wide Drum Sander. 16/32. From the reviews I have seen, stay away from the Laguna... But the Jet and Delta seem okay...

Mind you, I am happy with my BT3100, but I would love a more powerful saw, with more mass, and of course the blade brake... And as far as the drum sander goes, I am working on one now, just going very, very slowly at it...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

+1 with Lee and all re: SS
            any thoughts to setting some of that coin aside for future disability due to your injury? Not as glam. as a new tool, but if the injury was substantial enough for a settlement.... ya never know ;-)

From watching the router workshop duo, they strongly advocate against the router lift, just much easier to pop the entire assembly out make the change and pop router and plate back into table. Works for them, I have used this method and found it a little tiresome to remove the router each time for changes, the new triton and others have from the top micro adjustment and bit change for all but the largest of bits? so maybe just a good router, solid aluminum plate and build a platform for your extended area off of your future ts - or if you have the room a separate router table with storage and good dust collection.

Since jewelry boxes is your forte, maybe one of those nice select-a dado stacks (if they work as advertised), micro adjust for the ts fence, if you dont have some nice hvlp turbine finishing equipment, some new stains/finishes that you may have been holding back on trying since they were too expensive? Mobile bases for everything. Upgraded shop flooring, be good to your joints
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

As much as I hate Gass, I have to admit if I had that much dough to blow on new tools it would be near the top of the list.

I say build your own table, and incorporate either a bought or made lift. While I can make adjustments to my Craftsman from above the table, it's sorta not working right now with the screw - just spins, doesn't engage the drive. If you don't want to make it completely from scratch ala Norm, then go with a bought top and put it on a cabinet of your choosing. I think the RW duo are completely overrated, and have too much of a cult following, but that's just me.

IMHO, a standalone router table is much better than one on the saw, unless you just don't have the room. It's why as much more room it would give me if I got rid of it, I'm just not going to.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • The Great Land - Alaska
                • BT3100-1

I have a long list but you probably won't accept the shipping address in Anchorage .

Seriously, though, I trust all has healed well.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

They are overrated, however, there are still some good lessons the be had, they are more craftsmen than fine woodworkers if you will, but they have simple solutions to setup and dialing of bits that is straightforward and worth learning.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

This relate to the "other stuff" category.
                    I normally work on small stuff too. In fact, I'm working on a pen-collector's box now. Essentially, it's a jewellery box with dividers for pens. I bought a lathe on a whim because of what I had seen on here. I've had a blast with it. You might consider the HF cast iron lathe. You can use it for pens, etc. but it can also be used for embellishments for other stuff - such as "columns" for the jewellery box (although I haven't yet used it in this capacity). The HF cast iron lathe is big enough to use for larger items also.
                    Richard
                    Richard

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by chopnhack
                      They are overrated, however, there are still some good lessons the be had, they are more craftsmen than fine woodworkers if you will, but they have simple solutions to setup and dialing of bits that is straightforward and worth learning.
                      Sorry, my comment was off base. I more meant that while what they teach is great, some people think that their way is the only way to do things. A reflection put upon them by other people, not their fault.

I started out on the router, and the router forum. Some guys over there think Bob and Rick and Oak Park are gods.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL @ closed minded people. Can't be creative if you don't question and try :-)

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

I would try to work into the budget an XM177E2, or a CAR-15. JMO.

Comment

• vaking
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

1). I agree with Lee. There is a Sawstop out there with the name Bruce written on it.
                            2). I suggest to limit your appetite to a mid range router instead of a 3 hp+ monster. The only advantage 3 hp has over 2-1/4 hp is that big router allows you to make raised panels with large bit (3"+ diameter) in one pass. Mid size router can use same bits but will require several passes. If you are into jewelry boxes - you probably don't use large panel raisers at all. I bought myself Hitachi M12V (3-1/4 hp router) out of greed long time ago. It is mounted in a table with the opening size of 2-3/4". It means I can use mid size panel raising bits but not large size even though router is plenty powerful. The fact that I cannot use large panel raisers does not bother me at all. I would be glad to replace the oversized for my table M12V with something smaller.
                            3). I believe router lift is a thing of the past. It is not an essential tool but merely a little convinience. It does not improve quality of your work in any way. With many modern routers having built-in above the table height adjustment and some also having built-in bit changing ability I would not think spending serious money for a lift. Tritons and Freud routers are coming to my mind as dedicated router table routers. Modern Freud I believe comes as a kit, so you can have fixed base in a table, plunge base for hand use.
                            Alex V

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              I would try to work into the budget an XM177E2, or a CAR-15. JMO.

I'm more partial to about 8 lbs. of c-4 and 200 Ft. of det cord.
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...