• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's About Movies

My wife is 7 years younger than me. In conversation, we like talking about things in the past, like actors, comedians, and old movies. Fortunately she is up on much of the old time stuff. But once in a while, there comes up a discussion of a certain movie, and it's one I really liked, and she never saw it.

Just recently the movie Splendor In The Grass came up in discussion when the news revealed that the LA DA's office was opening the investigation on the death of Natalie Wood. I've gotta say, I got hooked on her from watching the movie. I betcha I've seen it a half dozen times, and would watch it again.

Another movie that came up was A Clockwork Orange. That discussion got started when something about Malcolm McDowell was on TV. I've seen that movie a few times, and I would watch it again.

So, she hasn't seen either of those movies, and I haven't seen them come up recently on my movie channels. So, I'll probably have to rent them. I can't wait to hear her review of them.

Are there any movies that you liked that deserve mention?

Last edited by cabinetman; 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I don't know if you do Netflix but Spendor in the Grass is available by DVD and A Clockwork Orange is available to stream. I added them to my cues.

I like movies, they are a useful distraction, but I seem to forget them quickly.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by JimD
      I don't know if you do Netflix but Spendor in the Grass is available by DVD and A Clockwork Orange is available to stream. I added them to my cues.

I like movies, they are a useful distraction, but I seem to forget them quickly.

Jim
      Thanks for the suggestion. So, you or the 50+ members that have viewed this thread don't have any favorite movies they have seen that deserve mention. That's very interesting.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I honestly have no clue what you mean by an impression.

I mean as a kid Star Wars came out and had a big part in my childhood years (up till 13). Have older movies that stuck with me as good, such as No Time for Sargents, The old Bob hope movies, Operation Petticoat, etc.
        Have movies that I remember wishing I was the same age as the actress, or she was that age now (not the adult ones, just don't think you mean that).

Have very few movies in my personal collection, as I remember most of them enough, to not watch them more then twice. Due to that, I tend to only buy them if I find them under five bucks.
        Movies to me are just a short escape from reality. Enough times, the movies are screwed up from the books, if I have read them first (example, the Dan Brown series), that I don't enjoy them.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          I honestly have no clue what you mean by an impression.
          Thanks for explaining the confusion with the word "impression", so I edited the post to make it more simple.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

A basic 'B' movie that sticks in my head is "Two Lane Blacktop". Warren Oates was the only actor of note in a key role. Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys co-starred in his only movie role. The real star was a blown '55 Chevy. When the studio commissioned legendary car builder Keith Black to build the car, they neglected to tell him it only had to LOOK fast.

The primary car was every bit as fast as the movie made it out to be. Black took it out on Van Nuys Blvd for cruise night before turning it over and it was untouchable by anything else there. After the filming was done, the Chevy sat on a back lot until it was rescued and given a fresh black paint job. Its last role was with Harrison Ford in "American Grafitti". The car was rolled and burned in the last race scene.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

"The River of No Return," Mitchum, Monroe, and Calhoun. I think is was Premminger's only oater. Never seen it on TV or for rent. Saw it once and it obviously made an impression. 1954 and I think it was the sound track that got caught up in my subconscious. Every now and then a scene just pops up in my mind. Very confounding! Just a great western (and there are hundreds) that made a strong impression for no discernible reason.
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

A shortlist of some of my favorites:

The Green Berets
                Rambo Movies
                An Officer And A Gentleman
                Red Dawn
                Top Gun
                The Sting
                Colossus The Forbin Project

Comment

• rcp612
                  Established Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                  • Bosch 4100-09

I had to think a little about this but, in 1972, my GF and I saw a movie titled "Dirty Larry". It was a Mafia drama that was beyond gory but, at the same time, riviting. Had to see what happened next, if you know what I mean.
                  The absolute best thing though was exiting the theater.
                  We didn't know or care at the time that I was dressed like Larry and looked a lot like him in the face. We kept wondering why everyone just kept looking at us and keeping their distance from us.
                  Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, those two movies you posted

are movies that stick to the mind. Especially "...A Clock Work Orange...". My favorite is "On Gold Pond" with Henry Fonda and Katharian Hepburn. Watched that at least a dozen times! (WIKI says the relationship between Henry Fonda and his daughter in the movie was close to how it really was in real life.)
                    Next on the list is the series "Nightmare on Elm St." Robert Englund played one scary dude; just don't go to sleep...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Thanks for the suggestion. So, you or the 50+ members that have viewed this thread don't have any favorite movies they have seen that deserve mention. That's very interesting.

That's a rather presumptive statement after waiting just shy of 5 hours for a response.

Not all of us carry a list of favorite movies in our pockets.

I was probably one of those 50 and I have many favorite movies, not all of which i can name in the few minutes i had while checking posts in between working on other stuff.

For the favorite movies for example are we talking all-time classics or recent movies? are we talking about one favorite or a long list? Great movies or simply ones that were very enjoyable? How about ones that were great at their time but have become clearly dated?- I don't have one movie i could point to and say its the favorite but probably 20 movies I like for various reasons. A truly thoughtful answer would take a while. Don't be so anxious.

I'll throw out these for you (not ones you'll find on a lot of lists):
                      a recent movie, Fracture, starring Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins.
                      a movie from a few years back: Finding Forrester, with Sean Connery in a different role.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

Maybe I am missing a counter, but I believe you guys are lying with statistics! 50 VIEWS does not fifty people make. Initially you view it after you post, so that is one. I viewed it once, before a browser crash, and restart (two views), etc.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

These are a few of my favorites, usually lesser known to most folks.

Titus is a good one. It's an adaption of an early Shakespeare play. I really love Anthony Hopkins as Titus Andronicus.

Once Upon a Time in the West is a great epic spaghetti western with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, & Jason Robards

Dead Man is another Western I really like. It's slow paced for some, but I always enjoy it.

Delicatessen is a French film I like, a dark comedy.
                          Erik

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by Warren
                            "The River of No Return," Mitchum, Monroe, and Calhoun. I think is was Premminger's only oater. Never seen it on TV or for rent. Saw it once and it obviously made an impression...
                            It's been on cable (TCM or AMC) several times. As far as memorable movies go, I thought about it and can't come up with any that really stand out. Probably says something about my taste in films.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• frumper64
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Garland, Tx, USA.

Two come to mind - To Kill a Mockingbird and The Apostle
                              Jim
                              64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...