• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

All is right with the world....

My favorite beer, actually a lager, is Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve but there was not a distributer in Texas and, as much as I like it, 8-9 hours each way to the New Mexico line was a bit far for a beer run!

I stopped at the store last night to pick up a couple of things, including some beer.

For the past couple of years I have been drinking Kirin Ichi-ban as it was the closest I have found in taste to Weinhard's. Looking through the cold beer section there was no Kirin to be found, nor an empty space for it. (This is not the store I normally shop.) About to give up I decided to look one more time when I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

I had to look twice to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. There on the top shelf sat a lone COLD 6 pack of my favorite! An aisle over I spotted a sample table with some on ice for tasting. I had 2 samples and grabbed one of the warm 6 packs she had on the display before heading to the register.

As I said, all is now right with the world.....Make that the UNIVERSE!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I'm probably going to be BANNED for this little tale.

LOML and I recently went wine tasting down near Santa Maria, which used to be a bit off the beaten track until the movie Sideways came out. The Firestone family of tire fame own a winery, which we've been to several times. On this trip, we learned they also own a restaurant, which we visited on the second night of our stay. It's actually a brew pub with a nice selection of craft brews and very good pub-style food.

My wife ordered a beer sampler (six small brandy snifters) and I decided to do my own sampler with half pints. After we'd finished eating, about a half glass of each glass in my wife's sampler remained, and I was invited to finish them off. When initially served, all of the beers were refrigerated (cold in American English). However the samples had warmed closer to cellar temperature, which made all the difference in the world, because all of the samples were ales or darker. At cellar temperature, you could detect flavors (lemon) and aromas that just did not come out in refrigerated beer.

So for those of you who insist on practically freezing anything other than lager, try it a bit "warmer". You might be surprised by the difference.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I like Henrys, but prefer Shiner Bock... I love visiting in Oregon as I can have both...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Whatever happened to Blitz Weinhard, Olympia, Raineer and Hamm's?

Blitz:

Olympia: It's the water - and a lot more!

Raineer: Raineer doesn't come in herds - it comes in six packs!

Hamm's Beer: From the land of sky blue water's, Hamm's the beer refreshing!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Once a year, LOML and I will take off for the weekend, do some sight seeing and spend the night in someplace really expensive. This time we went to the Kitchener/Waterloo area. We came across the Brick Brewing company and stopped in. They had a tasting bar and for five dollars you could get six, eight ounce glasses of their beers to try......and I did. I found that this was a little gem hidden in Southern Ontario. Fortunately I'm only a few hours from the K/W area so the stores carry most of their brands.

If you get the the K/W area, it's a place worth stopping.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by dbhost
            FWIW, I like Henrys, but prefer Shiner Bock... I love visiting in Oregon as I can have both...
            Surprised to hear Shiner Bock is sold in Oregon since it is a local, south Texas, brewery. It is a little too heavy for my taste.

Haven't checked the local liqour stores for Weinhard's yet. Might find their dark lager there.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

For the last 20 or so years I haven't been a beer drinker...maybe a six pack in a year. More of a good wine or a fancy mixed drink. But, back in the late 60's and early 70's, Pabst BR for just a common beer was pretty tasty (I'm no beer aficionado). But, in the late 80's and 90's it tasted different, like the recipe was changed.

In the last 5-6 years I've gotten a taste for Yuengling...goes good with chips.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                Surprised to hear Shiner Bock is sold in Oregon since it is a local, south Texas, brewery. It is a little too heavy for my taste.

Haven't checked the local liqour stores for Weinhard's yet. Might find their dark lager there.
                Cub Foods on Walnut in Corvallis has it. I spent time with some friends in Corvallis a few years ago, and treated them to Texas smoked BBQ (we built him a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), and smoked a brisket using some Fiesta rub I brought with me, some Bush beans, and Shiner Bock...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  For the last 20 or so years I haven't been a beer drinker...maybe a six pack in a year. More of a good wine or a fancy mixed drink. But, back in the late 60's and early 70's, Pabst BR for just a common beer was pretty tasty (I'm no beer aficionado). But, in the late 80's and 90's it tasted different, like the recipe was changed.

In the last 5-6 years I've gotten a taste for Yuengling...goes good with chips.

Yuengling just showed up here in NW Ohio in the last week or so, and everyone is making a pretty big deal around here. I picked some up and I really like it.

Shiner Bock is available here, too. It's been awhile since I tried one. One thing I really like about the holidays is the great variety of seasonal beers that seem to pop up.
                  Joe

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

I'm a fan of Yuengling. A week or so ago, a nice local pub/restaurant had a beer tasting presented by Samuel Smith's brewery. I'd had a few of their Oatmeal Stouts and Nut Brown Ales, so I went with a friend that is a good homebrewer. Everything was good, but I really liked their Taddy Porter, "Tadcaster".
                    Bill

Comment

• natausch
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Aurora, IL
                      • BT3000 - 15A

Sadly New Glarus continues to refuse to distribute into Illinois, even with their expanded capacity. I still have to stock up whenever I visit family in Wisconsin, nothing wrong with transporting two mixed cases of Spotted Cow, Uff Da and their specialty brews across the border right?

On the brighter side Two Brothers brewery is about half a mile from my house.

Comment

• Shep
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Columbus, OH
                        • Hitachi C10FL

Have been drinking Yuengling since it is in Ohio now. It's one of the best things I get to look forward too at the end of the day. (except my kids, wife, etc)
                        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Rand
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

You can get Henry's at Bevmo.com: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...3256&Ns=Name|0

Or you might try asking one of your local stores to stock it. I was able to get some hard to find wine that way.
                          Rand
                          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I developed a taste for "lager and lime" when I lived in the UK for several years. Until Yuengling came around here (northern NY) I tried a few combos but never was able to get the same taste. Now I can, and on a hot summer day its a great drink.
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Rand
                              You can get Henry's at Bevmo.com: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...3256&Ns=Name|0

Or you might try asking one of your local stores to stock it. I was able to get some hard to find wine that way.
                              at $10.00 for a 12 pack the price is great but they don't ship it to Texas.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...