RAIN, blessed RAIN!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • 10490
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

    #1

    RAIN, blessed RAIN!

    After MANY months of dry weather putting most of Texas, and a lot of the Midwest, in the worst drought since the '50s we are finally getting some relief.

    We have had a little (TOO little!) bits of precipitation the past month or so. The forecast for this weekend was the most promissing it has been in a long time. One forecast said some areas of Central Texas could see as much as 8-10". Those who watched the game know Ft Worth / Dallas got some good rain last night.

    I woke up this morning about 6:30 (before daylight) and went out on the porch for a smoke to the sounds of a good, steady rain falling! My brother said he woke up about 3:00 and it was raining heavy then. There is a low area running across my back yard that fills and flows when the ground is saturated. A few minutes ago I took a couple of pictures from the back porch. It has been a long time since the back yard looked like this...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain 1 Oct 2011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	797619

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain 2 Oct 2011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	797620

    The down side is that I started a weeks vacation this morning. The plan was to finish the trim work and primer on the pony barn today then get it cleaned out and start moving stuff into it tomorrow for storage. Looks like the schedule is going to need to be rearranged so I can work inside today. At least I will know if there are any leak problems with the roof.

    And I don't mind at all!!!!!
    Don, aka Pappy,

    Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4217
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

    #2
    No Kidding, Let it rain!

    I had some outside plans this weekend too, I don't mind being inside either.
    Erik

    Comment

    • gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 2793
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

      #3
      That IS good news, Don! It's not been quite that dry here, but still might dry.

      One question though: does the PlayPen float?

      g.
      Smit

      "Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

      Comment

      • wardprobst
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 681
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

        #4
        Heck yeah!
        We had a little over 3 inches in the last couple of days! Leaves us down about a foot for the year but it's so welcome.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

        Comment

        • Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • 10490
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

          #5
          Originally posted by gsmittle
          One question though: does the PlayPen float?

          g.
          That is the new storage barn in the picture, not the Playpen.

          But to answer your question, the Playpen sits on 4x6 posts on concrete pads. If all the tools and supplies were removed, my guess is that it would!
          Don, aka Pappy,

          Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

          Comment

          • chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 3779
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            I second the rain pap, its day 2 here of consecutive rain!
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

            Comment

            • woodinville guy
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • 188
              • Cedar Park, TX

              #7
              I was so nice, we got 5" at my house last night.
              - Dave

              Comment

              • sparkeyjames
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • 1087
                • Redford MI.
                • Craftsman 21829

                #8
                Congrats on getting wet. Now stop it till the ALCS is done.

                Go Tigers.

                Comment

                • Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10490
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

                  #9
                  Originally posted by woodinville guy
                  I was so nice, we got 5" at my house last night.
                  officially we only got a little over 2". Not enough, but anything helps.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

                  Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

                  Comment

                  • cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • 15216
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

                    #10
                    Originally posted by chopnhack
                    I second the rain pap, its day 2 here of consecutive rain!
                    Here too. It's rained almost every day for a couple of weeks.

                    .

                    Comment

                    • chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 3779
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

                      #11
                      That long Mike? We must have gotten lucky, today its sunny so far!
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

                      Comment

                      • dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 9562
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

                        #12
                        We were up in Plantersville at the Texas Renaissance Festival for the weekend, and it was a good long and desperately overdue sogging. Yeah it hit at a bad time, but that's okay... We enjoyed it anyway. Spent time with the sister in law, and one of the nieces and nephews... The niece has a Halloween party to go to, she wanted to do some dress shopping for the costume... I went for the Octoberfest activities and of course the jousting!

                        Nothing like watching horses trying to get traction in the mud!

                        Hey Don,

                        If you are worried about the Playpen flooding, put it on pontoons! 55 gallon drums work great as pontoons!
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

                        Comment

                        Working...