Anyone See the Sawstop featured in Arthur?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Anyone See the Sawstop featured in Arthur?

LOML and watched the Arthur remake last night--not a terribly good movie, but not a terrible one, either.

There is a scene where Nick Nolte's character threatens Arthur and demands he put his tongue on the spinning TS blade. He told him it would stop when it sensed moisture, which of course it did.

It was a very ackward scene and just didn't seem to work. The name was never mentioned, and only WW dorks like us could make out the logo, so product placement wasn't the goal, I don't think. It was just a weird scene overall.

EDit: Found this. Sounds like a little product placement afterall:

http://www.sawstop.com/arthur-the-movie/
    Last edited by JoeyGee; 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM.
    Joe
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

WOW!

I haven't seen this movie (the old one was just "okay", IMO).

So, I guess I shouldn't remark on whatever the scene actually is, because I don't want to take it out of context.... BUT:

I hate stupid scenes, whether they are movies or TV. We live in a world that seems frought with "emulation" by mindless souls who don't seem to have any sense of reason, whatsoever.

Can you imagine some half-saturated teenager or college kids emulating this?

Even with a SawStop it would be stupid, beyond insanity. But if it wasn't, I cannot begin to imagine; and since the "technology" may or may not be evident (like I said, I haven't seen the movie), then who knows what anyone might think.... that all saws will do this?

Worse is that SawStop itself even wants their name attached to this. To me, this only shows what extreme these greedy guys will go to promote their product. IF it were my company, I would be screaming "lawsuit" to the movie producers for having anything close to my company ID in the scene and I sure as heck wouldn't be making a connection from my website... unless it was to make a really big, bold, and ardent argument against the producers of the film and include a denial of ever having known of it's production or the use of my equipment in the production.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: typo and addition
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jwd12
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Dyer, In..
      • BT3100

Saw the movie on a long flight, where it looked like it could be the best available. Do you remember actors saying they would not do a nude scene unless it were integral to the plot? Be assured that the above scene fails this test too. The scene is like an iceberg in a desert. You wonder why it is there, what is it doing there, and how it got there. I'm not normally quessy, but it was hard to watch. You have to wonder about Sawstop's rational.
      I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        EDit: Found this. Sounds like a little product placement afterall:
        Pretty smart marketing.

Comment

• charliex
          • Mar 2004
          • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
          • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Some moron will see this and try it with the saw at his buddy's place, (not SS equiped) giving another reason why the SS technology is needed on all saws.

What I find interesting about SawStop is in the demo they always move the hotdog slowly into the blade. What I want to see is a fast push into the blade and the damage done to the dog. Somehow I don't think it would be the same result.

Comment

• uglystick
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Garland, TX, USA
            • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

Originally posted by charliex
            What I find interesting about SawStop is in the demo they always move the hotdog slowly into the blade. What I want to see is a fast push into the blade and the damage done to the dog. Somehow I don't think it would be the same result.
            This demo has a fast push into the blade - the resulting nick looks about the same to me. Jump to the 6 min mark:
            http://youtu.be/iiF8a5gacKs
            -Kendall

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I don't do too many of the current crop of so called movies. It appears Hollywierd has just run out of creativity, and is merely rehashing movies and TV shows from the 1970s and 1980s... And doing an incredibly poor job at that.

As far as someone sticking their tongue on a spinning saw blade, SawStop or no SawStop, that is insanely stupid, and beyond irresponsible of the movie studios to show... Why don't they show people playing Russian Roulette as well?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
                Why don't they show people playing Russian Roulette as well?
                Didn't you see The Deer Hunter?

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Didn't you see The Deer Hunter?

Apparently not...

I wonder, would Gass be liable for any damages for people doing stupid thing with table saws because of this? I know weak argument, but then again, so was the one in the Ryobi case...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I can't watch the You tube vid here at work, but what I want to see is a test/ demo of someone holding the hot dog and swinging it unabated into the blade. No wood at all. Just to show what would happen if you triped and fell into the blade full force.

That'd be interesting.

Comment

Working...