In the market for a $500 laptop : which to avoid?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

In the market for a $500 laptop : which to avoid?

Family needs a laptop - general surfing, docs, spreadsheets, and some basic video watching, picture handling. I am hoping sub-$500 should be good?

I saw some good purchase hints in this thread from 4 months ago. Set me thinking - which manufacturers are better than others, and which worse?

My work laptop has been Thinkpads for the past 7 years, and love them. Dunno if I'd find any for my budget.

Today's woot deal is an Asus Intel Core i3 for $399.99. That is a new manufacturer, right? How are they?

And yes - how does dual-core compare with i3 / i5 / etc? How about intel vs AMD?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Asus has been around quite a while as a motherboard manufacturer. I wouldn't be afraid of one of their laptops, although I'd want to see some reviews on the specific model I was considering.

I've not done a ton of research, but if I was buying, I'd probably buy a Toshiba.
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the big question would be, is it to really be a portable, i.e. use outside the home for many hours or is it to be a desktop replacement, to be used within the home, but as a one piece luggable from one room to another and used with an AC power pack.

If the former, light weight, long battery life, small size are important, but if the latter, then higher performance, bigger screen with more resolution trump size and power consumption.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I recently (March) bought an HP g6 series laptop that Office Depot had on a great sale. Decent specs for $400 after rebate. Dual core 64bit AMD processor. 3GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium. Link to machine is here: http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Computer-With/

Performance wise, the machine is pretty good for surfing, word processing, etc. Tried Need For Speed World on it once-not so good. I got it to use on my side gig of setting up home networks, etc. Can't use the work machine for that. However, I'm not pleased with the build quality. I've already sent the machine back once for a keyboard replacement. It still acts screwy at times. Also, battery life isn't very good in my opinion. This is my first personal HP laptop, although I've had 3 or 4 work assigned units. IMHO, when it comes to laptops, HP makes great printers.

I like Asus motherboards and video cards. I've been a fan of theirs for years. My son has an Asus netbook that is acting a little funky, but I think he's done something to the OS load. Probably need to reload and tighten the security settings a little more.

If I were you, I'd check dealnews.com at least once a day. I've been seeing some good deals on Dell and Lenovo machines as well.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

ASUS has been around for some time, and make quality motherboards. Their laptops seem to be acceptable.

A warning about almost all of the current 15" and smaller laptops: They have relatively low-resolution screens. Almost all are 1366 x 768, which I consider too low for anything other than casual use. Resolutions tended to be a bit higher before everything went widescreen.

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

I'm also a Thinkpad fan. You might want to consider a Thinkpad Edge. My son bought one last year and loves it (and he has high standards).

I did a quick check and Newegg has an Edge for $480.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Asus consistently ranks high in laptop reliability studies.

I am also a HUGE ThinkPad fan. I bought a ThinkPad SL410 at BB in 2/10 for $550. It was the only TP they had, and they didn't promote it heavily, and they have since stopped carrying TP's--at least in this range. I was surprised to find one in that range. It's 100% ThinkPad, though, not a cheap imitation slapped with a TP sticker.

I know some people like them, but I would NOT buy an HP. Buying and integrating Compaq into the HP brand really killed a once great line.

Toshibas are good, too.
              Joe

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Lot of good insight, thanks y'all!

Today I made a quick visit to CompUSA to check some out physically, and came to the conclusion that 15.6" is too big. I think the right size will be 12" to 14".

While most of the laptops were good looking, I am unable to think beyond Thinkpads. Lemme check the edge out.

while there my daughter liked the red laptops, and wants that color. Amazingly, the red color seems to add a premium of $150 ! Not sure I want to give that up just for an external color...
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

To paraphrase a famous line from The Graduate; I have two words for you: spray epoxy.
                  You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• RAV2
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Massachusetts

Check the current Staples ad page 2. I picked up this Acer with a 17.3" display, 4GB Ram, DVD w/Blu Ray, and webcam for $425 (they sent a $75 coupon on that could be used on this $500 unit

They have
                    Item: 904496
                    Model: LX.PY902.077

The Acer® Aspire AS7741Z-4839 Laptop transforms digital entertainment into an amazing experience. Showcasing a cinematic 17.3-inch HD+ LED-backlit display, Intel® dual-core processing performance, Windows® 7, Dolby® audio enhancement and amazing media features you can fly through demanding applications and enjoy more of your multimedia in true elegance - wherever you go.

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor P6200 (2.13GHz)
                    4GB installed memory
                    500GB hard drive
                    8X DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
                    17.3" HD+ Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit Display
                    Built-in HD 1.3MP Webcam (1280 x 1024)

Set up relatively quiclky after removing manageable bloatwear and had surprisingly few updates.

Comment

• bullethead1964
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • texas
                      • Craftsman (Emerson era)

Both my teens have Toshiba's we got at Best Buy for $375/ea. They use theirs like you plan to use yours.

What they both really like is the integrated number pad. These are 15 inch screens. We have had them for 10 months now and not a single issue. Battery life is @ 4 hrs.
                      I said I want to touch the earth
                      I want to break it in my hands
                      I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I have owned three Acers and tend to keep them for 4-5 years. After two years (+/-) the HDDs give up the ghost. I don't recall the maker of the drives or even whether they consistantly use the same manufacturer. Nevertheless, that's about all I can get out of a drive. When the second one goes I get rid of it due to the general condition of the machines. I do give them considerable use.
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Update !

Finally ended up buying the Toshiba - Portege Laptop : Intel Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive. It is extremely slim - barely thicker than the MacBook Air (I put them side-by-side at the store), and still has an optical drive CD/DVD drive.

For all my belief that BestBuy is pricey, this particular piece lists at $729 there, by far lower than anywhere else online or brick. And on Sunday, I received a $100 gift card to BB for Father's day, and I saw it as a good omen, and plunked for it despite blowing past the $500 limit.

After just two days of use I am pretty impressed - it is everything I'd have expected. Of course, I am comparing with my work laptop that is limited in processor and memory (and is on XP), but am looking forward to the family using it and not bugging me much!

I also bought a Microsoft - Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000 that has impressed me with the new 'Bluetrack technology'. Pretty much flawless.

Thanks to everybody for all your inputs - proved invaluable!
                          - Aristotle

Comment

Working...