How do I capture HD content from my DVR?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How do I capture HD content from my DVR?

I have a bunch of programs recorded on my Dish Network's DVR that I want in DVD format, or at least on some portable HDD. The content was in HD. How can I redirect the content, or use my Windows 7 PC (or G4 iMac) to capture this?

Google shows some options, but not very confidently. And I don't want to build a studio here - looking for some nice way to do this. I did see some 'video capture' gizmos, but not sure they handle HD. Even so, are they even okay-good?

Yes, I've heard of that old adage about that - which says I get to pick any two of the three - quick, easy or cheap; but am still hopeful.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

might try googling
    Dish network DVR HD to DVD
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Did that, without satisfactory results. Takeaways are
      - most success stories are with SD content, not HD
      - most common advice is to capture streaming with a capture card, which means convert digital-to-analog-to-digital
      - another is to take out the hard-drive from the DVR, attach to computer and read into Linux. Not all have succeeded in this (different hdd, different softwares, etc). But I am wary of trying it because it kills the Warranty with Dish, and I know that it is about to fail and I'll need them to replace it for me (but not before I take my content out)
      - have looked at gizmos like these, but not sure they work for HD
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

Caveat: my knowledge isn't extensive!

Depending on your needs, basically 2 ways to go:
        1. if you want to do extensive editing (trimming, menus, etc.), you need to transfer to a computer. You'd need a capture card in the computer, and a DVD burner, plus any editing software.

2. If you just want to make basic (as-is) copies, you can go with a standalone DVD recorder.

In either case, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot use HDMI, i.e. digital, format (because of copy protection). You can only use an analog output from the Dish DVR, to either PC or DVD recorder, and will necessarily incur some loss of video quality. Of analog signals, component is best, then S-video, and composite is worst. For DVD's the latter two are marginally acceptable.

A good site is videohelp.com, which has all sorts of info. Good luck.

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Most video capture cards on the market will only let you capture SD video via composite or svideo out. You need something like a Hauppauge HDPVR that will let you capture HD. It uses the component output from the receiver to capture in up to 1040i resolution, and can capture digital sound via optical audio out. I use one to capture from a non-DVR Dish receiver to build my own DVR (a MythTV system).

If you're running windows, there are a couple other HD capture devices. Hauppauge has an internal version of the HDPVR called Colossus, and AVerMedia has the HD DVR. I think there is one product out there for a mac, but if you're on a G4 you might have issues with the drivers.
          Eric

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks guys. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Never thought of copy protection, have to look into that.

Those two cards look good; I'd better check if either will work with the rather older machine I got.

I don't want too many editing, though if I am able to cut the adverts out it'd be a great bonus! A friend did suggest I attach a DVD recorder to the DVR, write to DVDs, transfer to the computer, edit, and then rewrite. Simple because I could borrow a regular DVD recorder, but the loss of quality might be too steep. Of course I could simply let the adverts stay and simply have more DVDs and swap them out while watching!

Thanks for the help - at least I now know what are my options!
            - Aristotle

Comment

Working...