• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Local Woodcraft Closing

I received a card from the local Woodcraft (Pompano Beach) rather late, on Saturday, stating that they are shuttering their doors. Their close-out sale was from April 4-12.

It is a good hour from here, but with no local Rockler, it used to be a rare treat to walk in there and lose myself in the aisles. We (south florida) will be left with just the one Constantine's. Really sad.

I might still try to make it there tomorrow morning, though I'm sure there'd be nothing left in my price range . Just to bid them bye.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's the rub, if you don't give your local suppliers enough business, they'll close on you. Unfair!

Or maybe the fact that you received a sale notice a week after the sale began and a day before it ends is an indication of poor business acumen, in which case they deserve to fail.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
      I received a card from the local Woodcraft (Pompano Beach) rather late, on Saturday, stating that they are shuttering their doors. Their close-out sale was from April 4-12.

It is a good hour from here, but with no local Rockler, it used to be a rare treat to walk in there and lose myself in the aisles. We (south florida) will be left with just the one Constantine's. Really sad.

I might still try to make it there tomorrow morning, though I'm sure there'd be nothing left in my price range . Just to bid them bye.
      It's too bad. I liked their store. There is still a lot of woodworking/cabinet shops in the area. They never did a lot of advertising. I wasn't notified when they moved the last time. Well, you're right. We still have Constantines, which has always been a favorite of mine. They have great veneers.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        There's the rub, if you don't give your local suppliers enough business, they'll close on you. Unfair!

Or maybe the fact that you received a sale notice a week after the sale began and a day before it ends is an indication of poor business acumen, in which case they deserve to fail.
        I wouldn't argue either point. Major percentage of my purchases have been craigslist or online (non-woodcraft), and you can guess why.

I did try - I've always tried buy from local stores if the price difference was less than 20% (50% for pre-used from craigslist). But still, my purchases at Woodcraft must have totaled only around $200 a year, so it is hypocritical of me to bemoan something I could not support. It's just that the staff was great, and it used to be a pleasure shaking hands and conversing about woodworking with live, knowledgeable people.

Ah well, guess I've to live with it, I guess .
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• jwd12
          Established Member
          • Jun 2005
          • Dyer, In..
          • BT3100

Sad day, the one closest to me closed about a year ago. There are others but they are way out of the way. Still miss the local one. Received no notification, the investor just closed it. Apparently just lost too much money (and it was not my fault).
          I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

The local Woodcraft store here closed 3 or so years ago. The Rockler appears to be doing ok, but its location is about 3x the distance from me - I just don't have a need to go to that area more than about 3x/year. I've always been in the viscinity of the old Woodcraft location at least once/month.
            Bill

Comment

Working...