• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

New Contest Details- You Decide

As in the parent thread we need to determine what will generate the most entries @ $20.

In a 2x6 there is 5.5 board feet of actual lumber. Dropping 1.5 bf to change to hardwood seems a fair enough handicap to me.
    2" x 6" x 8' stud grade or better common building lumber
    75.00%
    Any lumber less than or equal to 4 board feet.
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

If the rules allowed, I might want to use 2x6 cedar decking scraps I have lying around. They're dry, and I can't figure out what else to use them for.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Out here, they sell Redwood, 2x for construction. Will that be allowed?

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Deck scraps..... hmmm have to put that up for vote......

Redwood 2x I'd say yes.

I do think the less the rules the better. The idea is to turn one common board into a thing of beauty. The craftsmanship and imagination is what shuld be judged rather than figure or choice of materials. Last time the rules specified a useful piece of furniture or some such. Stan in Montana posted a rifle cleaning station.

©

Comment

• Cubsfan
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • CO.

I like the idea, though I'd like to see it opened up to more than furniture. I can image some fun smaller things too.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I don't think this has anything to do with furniture only. As I understand it, the challenge is to build whatever you can, with X amount of Y or Z wood. Something common, and affordable. If that item be a night stand, or lamp fine, if it's a segmented turned bowl, fine, or a gun case, or a flag display, or a widget of who knows what description.... Of course I may have the completely wrong idea.. What say you Black Wallnut?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

You can get a lot of pens and pencils out of a 2by6.

I think that is the spirit really. Make whatever you choose. This will reduce the rules and leave the voting to the Judges/Members. Let them decide how useful, thoughtful, clever the project was.

I was going to enter the first one myself, but they would not allow me make a stud out of my 2by6. It was useful, but not high on the clever scale.
              Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

It appears that we will have enough interest to have a contest. I'll get with Sam and set up the details on how it will work for registration. At this point however I am unsure exactly how to structure prizes and categories. The poll is open until 7:57 AM Thursday. It seems that at this time we have almost a third of the votes wanting a hardwood category. Now my question to you all becomes if we have a seperate hardwood category will that add to the contest or take away from it. I think we have prize support to include it. Comments please.

©

Comment

• bfrikken
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Michigan, USA.
                  • BT-3100

I think this is where you wanted more comments black wallnut, so point me where I am to post if this is not the one.

My 2 cents is this should be a standard 2x6 that you can get at any box store so as to give everyone an easy way to play on the same field. I expect that it will be a softwood for most everyone that consists of Pine, Spruce, or fir.

I think the Hardwood category will take away from the overall contest. It will dilute the contest basically. I'd love to see everyone work with the same material, same size constraints and see what is created. I like the idea of very few categories too. The last one was Turned and Non Turned. I think that would be enough. It'd be great to get a ton of entries, but I suspect you'll get 15-20? and any more categories than 2 (or even just rank the top 3 best in show) you could end up with only 1 or 2 entries in a category?
                  Last edited by bfrikken; 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I agree with all of bfrikken's points. With the amount of prizes now, we could pay further down too.

I'm a little apprehensive about entering now though, seeing that Blackwalnut's table didn't even get a mention last time.
                    Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Erik! It's all about raising the needed funds not about the winning. Believe me if when you complete a project the sense of personal accomplishment makes it worh it. A prize would only make it sweeter.

©

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

If it's not about winning what's the need for a judge?

Good point though.
                        Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Sam will be adding a Patron level for the purposes of the challenge. After the contest each entrant will also have the same patron level as the entry or if already a patron may get a bump up depending on details. This should be up soon although I am not positive when. Sam will also be creating a "private" forum for submissions to the challenge. This should only be available to entrants at this time until the voting stage. Then it will be open to all to view. Look for an announcement and or thread in the coming days with all the details. Please add your input if you have any.

©

Comment

• Cubsfan
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • CO.

So, just so I can start thinking, the contest will be making something (anything) out of one stud grade 2x6x8?

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Cubsfan
                              So, just so I can start thinking, the contest will be making something (anything) out of one stud grade 2x6x8?
                              Yes that is correct, well grade std & btr, which means stud and better. Registration is now open, and I regisered. Come in y'all the water's warm!
                              Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM.

©

Comment

Working...