• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Kudos To Best Buy

Two years ago wifey bought an iPod 2nd Gen. She went to renew the 2 year warranty, and found out it isn't renewable. She hit the ceiling. She was told when she bought it that the warranty was renewable.

So off she goes today to Best Buy to raise some heck. She tells the manager that she would never have bought it if the warranty wasn't renewable. So, he went on the computer to get in renewed, and it would not go through...it was too old. So, he decided to give her a brand new 4th gen iPod free, and all she had to pay was the warranty (which she would have done anyway).

Another story with a happy ending.

• sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'm glad that your wife ended up with more than she really wanted but it was a couple of experiences like you described at the beginning of you post as to why I won't ever again shop at Best Buy. Again, glad she left the store satisfied but I didn't.

Comment

• thestinker
      • Oct 2005
      • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Cool. Every once and a while one of the big stores surprises you. My guess is the manager figured out that while he wouldn't sell you anything "new" today, by giving you something, he could sell you lots of stuff over the next several years.
      Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

most electronics of that type are obsolete in 2 years - they probably couldn't understand why anyone would want to renew a warranty on a 2 year old piece of high tech because if it failed in another year most people would simply buy a new one with more features for less money.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          most electronics of that type are obsolete in 2 years - they probably couldn't understand why anyone would want to renew a warranty on a 2 year old piece of high tech because if it failed in another year most people would simply buy a new one with more features for less money.
          Whether they couldn't understand why she would want to renew her warranty wasn't the issue. Most likely it has to do with this comment:

Originally posted by thestinker
          Cool. Every once and a while one of the big stores surprises you. My guess is the manager figured out that while he wouldn't sell you anything "new" today, by giving you something, he could sell you lots of stuff over the next several years.

Comment

• unknown poster
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006

Was the old warranty still in affect? The manager probably made a warranty claim on the old one to pay for the new one. I know some best buy warranties work that way, you walk in with broken stuff and walk out with new stuff.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by unknown poster
              Was the old warranty still in affect? The manager probably made a warranty claim on the old one to pay for the new one. I know some best buy warranties work that way, you walk in with broken stuff and walk out with new stuff.
              There was nothing wrong with the old device. There was a month left on the warranty.

Comment

Working...